PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 09:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo 600...Mogul...Touch Pro...Touch Pro 2...Evo
Carrier: Sprint

Acedooncoon is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Acedooncoon Send a message via Yahoo to Acedooncoon
Hboot/Hardware Understanding

Ok so Ive looked around but cant seem to find a simple answer....I just got a new Evo from sprint yesterday bcuz my old one was messed up...the one I have now says hardware Ver. 0003...just like the old one. And the "HBoot" is 2.02. I dont think the old one was 2.02....anyways...my question is do I still have to use the "newer" flash method to root my evo? even tho i have hardware 0003?
Old 01-11-2011, 10:53 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff
Re: Hboot/Hardware Understanding

Just use the latest UnRevoked. All of that is taken care of by them.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Acedooncoon is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkillen View Post
Just use the latest UnRevoked. All of that is taken care of by them.
First Allow me to say thank you to u guys for repling to my question. Thank You.I was looking at some videos on youtube yesterday and I found some but none that I came across was specific....at least not like they were for the Older method.....I'll look again tonight...Also does using the UnRevoked method turns ur "HBoot" Off? I have never used that method so I have no idea how it works.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:51 AM
VIP Member

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acedooncoon View Post
First Allow me to say thank you to u guys for repling to my question. Thank You.I was looking at some videos on youtube yesterday and I found some but none that I came across was specific....at least not like they were for the Older method.....I'll look again tonight...Also does using the UnRevoked method turns ur "HBoot" Off? I have never used that method so I have no idea how it works.
All UnRevoked does is run a script that does all the things that you would be doing by hand. In a way, you are losing out because the manual way takes you down several roads that teach you about your phone. But everyone that drives a car does not need to learn to ride a horse first.

Those videos are great and I applaud them makers. The problem is that we are suffering from information overload. There are so many videos that the new users (and some of the seasoned ones) are getting lost.

Get rooted with UnRevoked and then spend a little time getting grounded in what you just did.

Someone will be here to answer your questions.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Acedooncoon is a n00b

So I justed watched a video on how to use Unrevoked and it seemed to work well....@ lkillen I hear what ur saying...I did learn things about my phone...but thats cuz the method I used was easier....I cant get the hang of how to us ADB...well its not that I dont understand....its more like I dont know how to get it to come up...I know its similar to use the Comman prompt for windows by pressing "the windows key and R"@ Kevmo1965...so how will I be able to turn off Hboot...I know some radio and prl updates require that HBoot is off.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:43 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acedooncoon View Post
So I justed watched a video on how to use Unrevoked and it seemed to work well....@ lkillen I hear what ur saying...I did learn things about my phone...but thats cuz the method I used was easier....I cant get the hang of how to us ADB...well its not that I dont understand....its more like I dont know how to get it to come up...I know its similar to use the Comman prompt for windows by pressing "the windows key and R"@ Kevmo1965...so how will I be able to turn off Hboot...I know some radio and prl updates require that HBoot is off.
Don't worry about ADB for now. You can do all the normal stuff without going into it. All the Sprint/HTC updates are possible with without rooting. Rooting is to go beyound where mere mortals dare tread.

Just get rooted, update Recovery, do a Nandroid back-up, download a pretty stock ROM like Azreal or Sprint Lovers for starterts, follow their instructioins about wiping and you will be good to go.

If any of the above instructions sound too weird, ask questions.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:07 PM
VIP Member

You are about one or two mouse clicks from the end.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G