PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Evo 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Hboot/Hardware Understanding (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=139485)

Acedooncoon 01-11-2011 09:20 AM

Hboot/Hardware Understanding

Ok so Ive looked around but cant seem to find a simple answer....I just got a new Evo from sprint yesterday bcuz my old one was messed up...the one I have now says hardware Ver. 0003...just like the old one. And the "HBoot" is 2.02. I dont think the old one was 2.02....anyways...my question is do I still have to use the "newer" flash method to root my evo? even tho i have hardware 0003?

kevmo1965 01-11-2011 10:47 AM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Yes, its the hboot your hacking.

lkillen 01-11-2011 10:53 AM

Re: Hboot/Hardware Understanding

Just use the latest UnRevoked. All of that is taken care of by them.

Acedooncoon 01-11-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkillen (Post 2034383)
Just use the latest UnRevoked. All of that is taken care of by them.

First Allow me to say thank you to u guys for repling to my question. Thank You.I was looking at some videos on youtube yesterday and I found some but none that I came across was specific....at least not like they were for the Older method.....I'll look again tonight...Also does using the UnRevoked method turns ur "HBoot" Off? I have never used that method so I have no idea how it works.

kevmo1965 01-11-2011 11:28 AM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

No, not the hboot. It turns your security off for allowing unsigned roms to be flashed.
Hboot still works.
To get to hboot, with your phone powered down hold the volume down button and press the power button.

lkillen 01-11-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acedooncoon (Post 2034394)
First Allow me to say thank you to u guys for repling to my question. Thank You.I was looking at some videos on youtube yesterday and I found some but none that I came across was specific....at least not like they were for the Older method.....I'll look again tonight...Also does using the UnRevoked method turns ur "HBoot" Off? I have never used that method so I have no idea how it works.

All UnRevoked does is run a script that does all the things that you would be doing by hand. In a way, you are losing out because the manual way takes you down several roads that teach you about your phone. But everyone that drives a car does not need to learn to ride a horse first.

Those videos are great and I applaud them makers. The problem is that we are suffering from information overload. There are so many videos that the new users (and some of the seasoned ones) are getting lost.

Get rooted with UnRevoked and then spend a little time getting grounded in what you just did.

Someone will be here to answer your questions.

Acedooncoon 01-11-2011 12:34 PM

So I justed watched a video on how to use Unrevoked and it seemed to work well....@ lkillen I hear what ur saying...I did learn things about my phone...but thats cuz the method I used was easier....I cant get the hang of how to us ADB...well its not that I dont understand....its more like I dont know how to get it to come up...I know its similar to use the Comman prompt for windows by pressing "the windows key and R"@ Kevmo1965...so how will I be able to turn off Hboot...I know some radio and prl updates require that HBoot is off.

kevmo1965 01-11-2011 12:45 PM

You can do prl updates while the phone is on and radios are flashed in recovery. What you are referring to is turning s-off in hboot. All of us still have hboot.
So in short, your ready to go.

lkillen 01-11-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acedooncoon (Post 2034452)
So I justed watched a video on how to use Unrevoked and it seemed to work well....@ lkillen I hear what ur saying...I did learn things about my phone...but thats cuz the method I used was easier....I cant get the hang of how to us ADB...well its not that I dont understand....its more like I dont know how to get it to come up...I know its similar to use the Comman prompt for windows by pressing "the windows key and R"@ Kevmo1965...so how will I be able to turn off Hboot...I know some radio and prl updates require that HBoot is off.

Don't worry about ADB for now. You can do all the normal stuff without going into it. All the Sprint/HTC updates are possible with without rooting. Rooting is to go beyound where mere mortals dare tread.

Just get rooted, update Recovery, do a Nandroid back-up, download a pretty stock ROM like Azreal or Sprint Lovers for starterts, follow their instructioins about wiping and you will be good to go.

If any of the above instructions sound too weird, ask questions.

Acedooncoon 01-11-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevmo1965 (Post 2034463)

You can do prl updates while the phone is on and radios are flashed in recovery. What you are referring to is turning s-off in hboot. All of us still have hboot.
So in short, your ready to go.

Sorry Im trying to multi-task...I just read some information on the unrevoked site...and it says that it will turn Hboot off....So my question was answered there....im at work so i cant really read everything....Im just skimming...I havent did anything to my phone as of yet...I was trying last night but couldnt get how to do ADB Push...Sorry...lol..Im all over the place on here.....to night I will try the Unrevoked process and see how that works....if not then I will keep looking for answers...All I know that I have done was install the drivers...so that part is done...I just have to run everything else....once I get access to Recovery then I'll be good to go...