PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 12:21 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G Rooted
Carrier: Sprint

Jocelyn84 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJocelyn84 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJocelyn84 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJocelyn84 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can't flash roms (Updated with fix!)

I just picked up an Evo a few days ago and this is so frustrating compared to my Diamond days. It took me a lot of searching and a lot of attempts to finally get rooted via unrevoked 3.3, but I finally got it. S-off, Superuser, and I get # so I'm definitely rooted. I've tried Rom manager, doing it manually via Clockwork 3.0.0.2, the older Clock work (2.5 something), and even RA recovery, but nothing seems to work. Oh and I've reformatted my SD card and cleared data, cache, etc., every time.
When I flash cyanogenmod or Calkulins rom, I get rebooting loops with the HTC logo white screen. With just about every other rom the flash aborts somewhere into it and I have to restore back to stock. Anyway, I'm just looking for some insight about what I might be doing wrong. I feel like such an idiot lol.

Edit: My guess is yes, but is it normal for me to get blue and pink stuff on the screen whenever I flash or restore?

Edit2: Use Amon's recovery in the following post to get it working.
xda-developers - View Single Post - [Recovery] [28-August-2010] RA-evo-v1.8.0

Last edited by Jocelyn84; 01-02-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:33 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon

Karl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Karl Send a message via Yahoo to Karl Send a message via Skype™ to Karl
Re: Can't flash roms

try this one load threw hboot hold power button and vol down

DOWNLOAD
MIRROR
[All-In-One Update, INCLUDES Updated Baseband & Wimax Radios + PRI 1.90_003, Uninstallable apps]

dl this and put on sd card

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:35 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff

Here is the solution. I am uploading the latest Amon_RA recovery. It is renamed to PC36IMG.zip.

Copy it to the root of your SDCard and boot into bootloader. Bootloader will see it and want to flash it like anything of that name. Vol up to do so. After that, you will be in familiar territory when you go into recovery. Koush's Clockwork is still having problems with the later bootloaders. Something to do with SDCard partition expectations. Amon doesn't. That is why we need to name this recovery PC36IMG. That allows up to flash without recovery.

Once you know it works, access the file some way (Andros, root explorer or mounted to PC and either delete the file or rename it to avoid it from getting continuously reread)

BTW - to a nandroid revoery as soon as you get to a position you like.

Let me know how things turn out.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PC36IMG.zip (3.97 MB, 29 views) Click for barcode!
Old 01-02-2011, 12:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Jocelyn84 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJocelyn84 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJocelyn84 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJocelyn84 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlE View Post
try this one load threw hboot hold power button and vol down

DOWNLOAD
MIRROR
[All-In-One Update, INCLUDES Updated Baseband & Wimax Radios + PRI 1.90_003, Uninstallable apps]

dl this and put on sd card
I'll give it a try. After losing a backup last night, I actually had to rename PC36IMG_SuperSonic_S_Sprint_WWE_3.26.651.6_Radio_2 .15.00.07.28_NV_1.71_003_release_147044-signed.zip to PC36IMG.zip to get back to stock. I just tried renaming Calkulins rom to PC36IMG.zip and it goes through the motions, but there's no option to run it in HBoot. I'll give yours a try, though I have a feeling it has sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkillen View Post
Here is the solution. I am uploading the latest Amon_RA recovery. It is renamed to PC36IMG.zip.

Copy it to the root of your SDCard and boot into bootloader. Bootloader will see it and want to flash it like anything of that name. Vol up to do so. After that, you will be in familiar territory when you go into recovery. Koush's Clockwork is still having problems with the later bootloaders. Something to do with SDCard partition expectations. Amon doesn't. That is why we need to name this recovery PC36IMG. That allows up to flash without recovery.

Once you know it works, access the file some way (Andros, root explorer or mounted to PC and either delete the file or rename it to avoid it from getting continuously reread)

BTW - to a nandroid revoery as soon as you get to a position you like.

Let me know how things turn out.
I've done the Amon RA recovery method and all the flashes get aborted in the middle.
FWIW, I have version 0003 and Hboot 2.10

Last edited by Jocelyn84; 01-02-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:55 AM
N00b

Karl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to Karl Send a message via Yahoo to Karl Send a message via Skype™ to Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocelyn84 View Post
I'll give it a try. After losing a backup last night, I actually renamed PC36IMG_SuperSonic_S_Sprint_WWE_3.26.651.6_Radio_2 .15.00.07.28_NV_1.71_003_release_147044-signed.zip to PC36IMG.zip to get back to stock. I just tried renaming Calkulins rom to PC36IMG.zip and it goes through the motions, but there's no option to run it in HBoot. I'll give yours a try, though I have a feeling it has sense

I've done the Amon RA recovery method and all the flashes get aborted in the middle.
normal roms cant be renamed they are in folder type, the link i gave and the pc36img_supersonic is in image type meaning there are .img file in the zip not folders

and the Amon RA Ikillen gave you i believe is the modded version
Old 01-02-2011, 12:56 AM
VIP Member

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff

I did not give you a Rom. Just a Amon recovery. Therein lies your problem.
I hit the same wall with my daughter's Rom and tried to figure out how to get her on to Amon's Recovery. In the early days we did everything by naming it PC36IMG.zip since it will flash without recovery so I figured it would work for us and it did. My little girl is running Azreal 3.0 with an SBC kernel as we speak.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlE View Post
normal roms cant be renamed they are in folder type, the link i gave and the pc36img_supersonic is in image type meaning there are .img file in the zip not folders

and the Amon RA Ikillen gave you i believe is the modded version
Thank you! I did change that stock rom in zip form to pc36img last night though, and it worked. Anyway, I'm downloading supersonic and will try the AMon RA from Ikillen as well. Is there a place where I can find more roms with an .img file in them or do I just extract, insert .img and recompress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkillen View Post
I did not give you a Rom. Just a Amon recovery. Therein lies your problem.
I hit the same wall with my daughter's Rom and tried to figure out how to get her on to Amon's Recovery. In the early days we did everything by naming it PC36IMG.zip since it will flash without recovery so I figured it would work for us and it did. My little girl is running Azreal 3.0 with an SBC kernel as we speak.
Yes, I realize its a recovery and I've tried his original 1.80 version. Is the one you linked a modified version? Either way thank you! I'll give it a try after I test the Supersonic rom from KarlE.

Last edited by Jocelyn84; 01-02-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:02 AM
N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocelyn84 View Post
Thank you! I did change that stock rom in zip form to pc36img last night though, and it worked. Anyway, I'm downloading supersonic and will try the AMon RA from Ikillen as well. Is there a place where I can find more roms with an .img file in them or do I just extract, insert .img and recompress?

Yes, I realize its a recovery and I've tried his original 1.80 version. Is the one you linked a modified version? Either way thank you! I'll give it a try after I test the Supersonic rom from KarlE.
once you get recovery working youll be able to flash roms normaly

.img format roms are usely only made to update radios along with a rom or use if you dont have custom recovery
Old 01-02-2011, 01:17 AM
VIP Member

Like Karl said, once you get your Recovery working, you can flash any zip. You don't want to name every file you intend to flash PC36IMG.zip. That is the old days and things can get ugly in a hurry. After you have Recovery working, go back to how things were.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

The PC36IMG.zip that KarlE linked worked. Quick question, I no longer have super user. Do I just run Unrevoked again?

I'm about to flash back to stock install the Amon_RA recovery lkillen linked and see how flashing to other stuff works. Thanks so much you two!

Last edited by Jocelyn84; 01-02-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G