PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

mardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HDMI output using VLC Stream & Convert, and VLC

Did not see this mentioned before if so please delete.

I just received my HDMI cable for the EVO 4g and was looking for options to stream to a TV via HDMI. I had read that the following apps allowed streaming You tube, Media Streaming App, EVO recorded video, and movies converted to mp4.

None which were a viable option for me I wanted to stream my shows and backed up movies which were already on my media server at home. Which currently were in the following formats divx, avi, mts, mkv, and more. I was not going to convert them to mp4's.

Step 1:

Anyways I found a way to stream all my media using VLC player found here installed it on my media server.

Once installed open the program and click on View --> Add Interface --> Select web interface.

Step 2:

Using the Market app on your phone on your phone search for "VLC Stream & Convert" and install it. There are two versions of the app free, or paid , the free version works fine.

Note: Make sure you have wifi turned on your phone and it is connected to the same wireless network as your PC that you just installed VLC onto.

When you first open the app it will prompt you to enter the IP address and the port number. If this menu is not displayed. Select Menu --> Connect, on your phone.

Here you will see two fields IP address and Port #. The default port number should already be filed in which is 8080 if not. Next select the "Scan" button which is to the right of the Port field. The program should find the PC that is running VLC player and auto fill the IP address. Now select the connect button. You will see a message displayed that your are connected, or in the notification menu you will see a cone without a x over it. If this did not work try enter the IP address manually.

Step 3:

Select the menu button on the phone and then select "Player Mode" which will bring up a new menu. Now select the option "Stream to phone (rtsp)".

Step 4:

Now select browse tab located in the upper right hand corner of the program. It might takes 10 seconds, or so to populate. You should see you files listed there. Now scroll to the folder were your media is located and select it. You should see buffering message pop up. If you get a message stating to many errors, restart the program.

Step 5:

Once your media is playing on your phone, connect the HDMI cable and the media will output to your TV. So I far I tried a bunch of different media formats and they all streamed fine.

To use the program while on the go make the necessary changes:

On your network router port forward port 8080, and 5554 to your PC that has VLC installed on it.

Then make the following changes on your phone by opening "VLC Stream & Convert" press the menu button --> Connect and enter you WAN IP address in the IP address field, or host name if your using ddns services.

That's it now your configure for on the go use.

Note: If you chose to stream over 3g do not forget to port forward 8080, and 5554 to your media server.

Last edited by mardukeme; 10-26-2010 at 04:12 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:41 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff
Re: HDMI output using VLC Stream & Convert, and VLC

where is this media residing that you are streaming?
Old 10-25-2010, 11:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

mardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuff
The files are residing on a pc at home.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2010, 11:16 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch

tool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to tool2269 Send a message via Yahoo to tool2269

I wish there was a step by step or video explaining this..
Old 10-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool2269 View Post
I wish there was a step by step or video explaining this..
I updated the first post to make it a little easier to follow. If you get stuck anywhere along the lines let me know.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

thomlanphear is just getting started

It sounds like you need to be on your own wireless network, which means it will work at your home but once you leave and go camping, shopping etc. then it won't stream because you are no longer on the same wireless network?
Old 10-26-2010, 02:40 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch

tool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to tool2269 Send a message via Yahoo to tool2269

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomlanphear View Post
It sounds like you need to be on your own wireless network, which means it will work at your home but once you leave and go camping, shopping etc. then it won't stream because you are no longer on the same wireless network?
oh.. i wanted to stream videos while away from home. i guess i would have to set up a static ip address?
Old 10-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomlanphear View Post
It works while on the go that's how I have it setup currently. I just gave the directions on how to setup configuration while on the same network. Once you get everything up and running it's a lot easier to configure your setup for wan data connection.

On your network router port forward port 8080, and 5554 to your PC that has VLC installed on it.

Then make the following changes on your phone by opening "VLC Stream & Convert" press the menu button --> Connect and enter you WAN IP address in the IP address field, or host name if your using ddns services.

That's it now your configure for on the go use.

Last edited by mardukeme; 10-26-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

JeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Cool - thanks for the tip - I'm going to try this tonight.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
hdmi, media streaming