PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 02:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

gaudet41 is keeping up the good workgaudet41 is keeping up the good workgaudet41 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
USB tether with home's internet?

Ok I have searched and read a few threads about tethering but could not find the answer to what I am looking for. Hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction, I am at work right now so I cannot try anything out until I get home.

I am wondering if I can USB tether using my home's internet connection. I do not have a wireless card in my PC (until it gets delivered in about a week) and do not feel like running an ethernet cord, so is it possible to connect my EVO to my home's wireless router and then USB tether that connection to my PC. Note I am running Ubuntu on my computer. (I read about PDAnet and easy tether, would those options work for what I am trying to do?) Again this is only a short term thing so I do not want to root my phone or pay an absurd amount for an app.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: The only $50 Touch Pro2
Carrier: gottaluvSPRINT

wampuscat is keeping up the good workwampuscat is keeping up the good work
Re: USB tether with home's internet?

Why not run unrevoked root and install free wireless tether w/ infrastructuremode. Unrevoked is a 1 click root that enables tethering
Old 07-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Carrier: Sprint Ofcourse

tech is keeping up the good worktech is keeping up the good worktech is keeping up the good work

Well im not rooted and last night with new update i can tether usb using wifi home internet fine u need to install htc sync thoe and u might have to pay the 30 bucks i have done it without that plan but im sure it will work without paying the 30

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Sprint Overdrive Pro 4G
Old 07-01-2010, 03:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

@tech. I must be having a brain fart. What do you mean you usb tether with your homes wifi. Are u talkin about using your phones internet on your computer. Or using your homes internet on your phone
Old 07-01-2010, 03:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

You don't have to be rooted to share your phones connection over usb, only to tether thru WiFi
Old 07-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch

tool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to tool2269 Send a message via Yahoo to tool2269

i think pdanet from their website is like $19 right now http://www.junefabrics.com/android/buy.php

i think you just plug ur phone into the usb on ur computer.. open pdanet app on ur phone and u should be tethering.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

hotspace is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhotspace is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhotspace is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhotspace is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

He's talking about using his home internet on his phone...and then tehering his home internet through his phone to his computer. (ithink)
Old 07-01-2010, 03:56 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO

zone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

You might be able to connect via usb then bridge it to your wifi (like on a laptop) and share that over your router.

Droidrox39
Old 07-01-2010, 04:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

gaudet41 is keeping up the good workgaudet41 is keeping up the good workgaudet41 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotspace View Post
He's talking about using his home internet on his phone...and then tehering his home internet through his phone to his computer. (ithink)
This is exactly what I'm wondering if it is possible. I realize that it is not that useful for most since a large majority of computers have wireless connectivity but unfortunately my computer is older and the wireless card I ordered for it won't be here for about a week. In the meantime I was wondering if I could do the above. So would those apps that you guys mentioned like PDAnet and easy tether allow my home internet to be ported through my phone and onto my comp?

Thanks again to all and appreciate the suggestions.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch

tool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to tool2269 Send a message via Yahoo to tool2269

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaudet41 View Post
This is exactly what I'm wondering if it is possible. I realize that it is not that useful for most since a large majority of computers have wireless connectivity but unfortunately my computer is older and the wireless card I ordered for it won't be here for about a week. In the meantime I was wondering if I could do the above. So would those apps that you guys mentioned like PDAnet and easy tether allow my home internet to be ported through my phone and onto my comp?

Thanks again to all and appreciate the suggestions.
pdanet would allow you to use your phones internet not your homes internet on the computer.

if your in a 4g area, that could be a good thing

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G