PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 05:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

The Sapient is keeping up the good workThe Sapient is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Buying on one line, activating on another?

I've finally decided to bite the bullet and buy an Evo. But it is sold out everywhere in my area. Kind of. Best Buy has them at the local warehouse, but has decided to have customers buy in store, and then ship them to the customer's home in a couple days. Which is just annoying.

I have an family EPRP with one line up for renewal. I want to buy the phone on that line for the discount, but activate it on another. Is this going to be hard to do?
Old 06-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G Touch

ChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuff
Re: Buying on one line, activating on another?

They will have to activate it on the line that is eligible for the upgrade, then they can transfer it to the other line. It shouldn't be hard to do...but be careful...sometimes when you upgrade you have to have that new phone on the upgraded line for 30 days to get the discounted price...I'm not sure how Best Buy works since they give you the discount right then and there...I would recommend calling them up and explain your cituation to them...see what they say.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

gutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuff

It is totally possible! I had it done on 2 lines through bb.

Get it activated on the eligable line than call sprint and have the # swithed
Old 06-27-2010, 05:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4g

es101346 is keeping up the good workes101346 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to es101346

that's what i did, i didn't have an upgrade available on my touch pro 2 line yet, so i upgraded a line on my separate family plan, and took the phone for myself on this plan. still got the discounted price.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2 & HTC Hero

sikclown is keeping up the good worksikclown is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sapient View Post
I've finally decided to bite the bullet and buy an Evo. But it is sold out everywhere in my area. Kind of. Best Buy has them at the local warehouse, but has decided to have customers buy in store, and then ship them to the customer's home in a couple days. Which is just annoying.

I have an family EPRP with one line up for renewal. I want to buy the phone on that line for the discount, but activate it on another. Is this going to be hard to do?
I can't speak to Best Buy but I bought mine online from Sprint with one line that I had an available upgrade on and then activated it on my line. Didn't have to activate it on the line I used for the purchase first.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
I can't speak to Best Buy but I bought mine online from Sprint with one line that I had an available upgrade on and then activated it on my line. Didn't have to activate it on the line I used for the purchase first.
But doing that way did you get the additional mail rebate? I thought that when you go through sprint you will get the 150 off the regular price but to get the 100 mail in rebate the phone has to be activated for 30 days to get it. Bestbuy and radioshack is different since they give you everything up front so you don't have to wait for the rebate.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2 & HTC Hero

sikclown is keeping up the good worksikclown is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by themuffinman View Post
But doing that way did you get the additional mail rebate? I thought that when you go through sprint you will get the 150 off the regular price but to get the 100 mail in rebate the phone has to be activated for 30 days to get it. Bestbuy and radioshack is different since they give you everything up front so you don't have to wait for the rebate.
Correct. I have a business account however which gets me the rebate instantly but it is a moot point. I was just letting the op know that it was possible to do via Sprint but that I couldn't speak to how easy it was to do with Best Buy
Old 06-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
Correct. I have a business account however which gets me the rebate instantly but it is a moot point. I was just letting the op know that it was possible to do via Sprint but that I couldn't speak to how easy it was to do with Best Buy
Oh ok I see. Well going through best buy would be fine but they do actually have to activate in store for you to get the discount then when you get home you can switch to another line. I have never done it personally but I have seen it done quite a few times.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 1 Evo LTE 1 Samsung GSIII & Toshiba Excite 10

meccadon123 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmeccadon123 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmeccadon123 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

i bought 2 of mine at best buy, just did an esn swap to a line that was 100 days from the upgrade but i already got the discount from BB because i let them activate on the upgrade line. Nothing can be done after you buy from BB then esn swap.It took the rep 45 mins to do it(not sure why) but it got done.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc Evo4G
Carrier: sprint

arsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

This is similar to what I did I actually activated a new line with best buy to get the phone at the discounted price then I canceled 1 line near full renewal that will cost me 80.00 but was still cheaper then called sprint and changed all the lines around. It took a couple of phone calls to get all the lines straight but it can be done. I have done this several times. And it will cause problem's going through sprint to change the number before 30 days but you can still get the rebate you will just have to follow up when they deny the rebate the first time. Persistence will pay off here and no you aren't ripping sprint off you still have all the lines so you should still get the full discount.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G