PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 02:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

JaredC01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJaredC01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJaredC01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Data constantly in use?

So for the second day straight my phone battery has dropped to half in about 4 hours screen off in my pocket... After closing every program and turning off data sync, the 3G connection is still constantly in use. I downloaded a network traffic program to check usage, and to my surprise my phone had downloaded over 260MB while in my pocket. I restarted the phone and the problem seemed to be fixed, however it's started back up again, even after restarts.

I haven't installed any new programs or widgets in the last couple of days, so I don't know what could be going on unless it's some OTA update that I don't know about. Is anyone else having a similar issue?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:53 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: SPRINT EVO
Carrier: Sprint for about 6 years

chaos2137 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to chaos2137 Send a message via Skype™ to chaos2137
Re: Data constantly in use?

i cant say that i have that problem, i did however have another EVO two days ago and the battery would die within 4-5 hours and now that i see your topic, im wondering if that was the same thing my old one was doing. hmm interesting
Old 06-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: hero cdma
Carrier: sprint

drksilenc is keeping up the good workdrksilenc is keeping up the good work

that means theres a bad program on your phone thats constantly accessing it
Old 06-16-2010, 05:11 PM
The Admin-Ninja
Pocket PC: Note 2; Note 10.1

NinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredC01 View Post
So for the second day straight my phone battery has dropped to half in about 4 hours screen off in my pocket... After closing every program and turning off data sync, the 3G connection is still constantly in use. I downloaded a network traffic program to check usage, and to my surprise my phone had downloaded over 260MB while in my pocket. I restarted the phone and the problem seemed to be fixed, however it's started back up again, even after restarts.

I haven't installed any new programs or widgets in the last couple of days, so I don't know what could be going on unless it's some OTA update that I don't know about. Is anyone else having a similar issue?
What network tracking program did you get to use?
Earned my Brown Belt..."Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them: A desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill."
Muhammad Ali
Old 06-16-2010, 05:23 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTV EEVVVOOOOO, and a BB tour
Carrier: sprint..and umm...PPCGEEKZ!!

Success100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Success100 Send a message via Yahoo to Success100

do this, there is a widget you can add to your screen called power control. it comes preloaded. turn off the sync option using this widget. Make sure all of your email accounts are set to manual sync, and also make sure that you change the friendstream and facebook update intervals. this will help out drastically when it comes to the battery

ALL HAIL SUCCESS100!!! lol!
Old 06-16-2010, 06:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Threadstarter

JaredC01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJaredC01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJaredC01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Success100 View Post
do this, there is a widget you can add to your screen called power control. it comes preloaded. turn off the sync option using this widget. Make sure all of your email accounts are set to manual sync, and also make sure that you change the friendstream and facebook update intervals. this will help out drastically when it comes to the battery
I'm already using SwitchPro, and if you re-read the first post you'll see I said I have all sync options turned off already. The problem didn't come up until a few days ago, and only AFTER I STOPPED installing programs on it. There were no new programs installed within the couple of days leading up to the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaMom View Post
What network tracking program did you get to use?
NetCounter is the program I used, simple interface and it works pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksilenc View Post
that means theres a bad program on your phone thats constantly accessing it
As said there weren't any programs installed immediately before the problem started, and I had already killed all processes running using ATK... There shouldnt have been any network usage unless the system was using it.

I'm considering maybe one of the default Sprint apps is causing it, though I won't know for sure until I flash a custom ROM... Any other ideas?
Old 06-23-2010, 07:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

parousia15 is keeping up the good workparousia15 is keeping up the good work

I'm having the same problem. Did you ever find a solution? This is killing my battery.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G