PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 08:13 AM
gbh
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

gbh is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Power off cycle... how long?

How long does it take on your EVO to power it back on after powering off? Also, it is just a quick button press, or do you have to hold it down for a few seconds?
Old 06-14-2010, 08:20 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP
Re: Power off cycle... how long?

from a cold boot it probably takes 30-45 secs and you're able to use it. haven't timed it though. faster than any winmo device i've used that's for sure.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO,TP2,Diamond

searcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipidfats View Post
from a cold boot it probably takes 30-45 secs and you're able to use it. haven't timed it though. faster than any winmo device i've used that's for sure.
Not sure..but I think they were asking....how long it takes to turn on, (to see something on the screen) when pressing the power button. And do you have to press and hold it...or just a quick press.

I find it seems to change... sometimes... a quick press does it...other times a longer press. And sometimes it seems a press of the power button and a touch of the buttons on the front. Still have narrowed it down to the exact proceedure..because I don't reboot very often, unlike with WM.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:42 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP

yeah, that's what i meant... when turning the device on after turning it completely off (not sleep). Takes half a minute or so because of the sprint 4g animation.

I hold the power button for about a second and it starts booting up. Not sure if tapping it works... And I think i have to wait a few seconds after powering the device down to turn it back on (like the device is still finishing up the power down process or something). Do you have this few seconds where the power button doesn't work? i wasn't sure if this was an android thing or not because on WinMo u don't have to wait after the screen goes black.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Hex
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

Hex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHex is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to Hex Send a message via AIM to Hex Send a message via MSN to Hex Send a message via Yahoo to Hex
Wirelessly posted (Sprint HTC Evo 4G : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Some fellow geeks and I were discussing this elsewhere... but here is the long and short of what I can figure on this....

If you are restarting for the sake of just restarting (I.e. no crashes or unresponsive apps or just because you feel it will free up some memory) it should power down and allow you to power up immediately.

If you have an Evo that's just being wonky or an app that crashed or had to be force closed and you need to reboot to get android back in line.... it can take up to a minute for Android to actually completely shut down AFTER the screen has shut off. You will not be able to power on until it finally shuts down.... if it takes more than a minute, you are probably locked up... pull the battery and you will be able to boot right back up once you've put the battery back in...

Chances are you are rooting because some app/widget went to hell so just be patient.... one minute should be all it takes

Last edited by Hex; 06-14-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:04 AM
Hex
PPCGeeks Regular

Hex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHex is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to Hex Send a message via AIM to Hex Send a message via MSN to Hex Send a message via Yahoo to Hex
Wirelessly posted (Sprint HTC Evo 4G : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

chances are you are rooting...

I meant revolting

Edit doesn't seem to work on the mobile site...
Old 06-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Hex
PPCGeeks Regular

Christ... revolting.... rebooting

Ducking T9.... yes that typo was on purpose
Old 06-14-2010, 03:48 PM
gbh
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Threadstarter

gbh is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex View Post

Some fellow geeks and I were discussing this elsewhere... but here is the long and short of what I can figure on this....

If you are restarting for the sake of just restarting (I.e. no crashes or unresponsive apps or just because you feel it will free up some memory) it should power down and allow you to power up immediately.

If you have an Evo that's just being wonky or an app that crashed or had to be force closed and you need to reboot to get android back in line.... it can take up to a minute for Android to actually completely shut down AFTER the screen has shut off. You will not be able to power on until it finally shuts down.... if it takes more than a minute, you are probably locked up... pull the battery and you will be able to boot right back up once you've put the battery back in...

Chances are you are rooting because some app/widget went to hell so just be patient.... one minute should be all it takes
Thanks. This exactly answered my question, which I guess was confusing to some.

And, this what I see. If I power down (pretty much for any reason, including when things are working fine), the next power on cycle takes about a minute before the phone actually STARTS to boot.

Just wanted to make sure this wasn't a phone issue.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Hex
PPCGeeks Regular

Every time? That I find troubling... you may want to sort through the apps you've installed.... but then again... it could just be that way for you.... the power down issue has been kinda random from what I have seen. Right up there with the random reboot (which started for me after one off the system utility apps I installed) that made me factory flash (didn't feel like figuring out which one of the 8 apps it was)...

Anywho... glad to have assisted
Old 06-15-2010, 05:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

AaronP220 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAaronP220 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAaronP220 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAaronP220 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to AaronP220

I have one of the darling ones that won't reboot if you shut it down. I have to pull the battery and then it will reboot.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G