PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 09:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc Evo4G
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

arsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Free WIFI tether works !!!!

Boo boo both rooting methods are sticky and the update does NOT break either rooting method but yes you do need to be root for this to work. I did the full method from toast over at xda I did do the OTA and I still have root. I also installed the custom rom to keep root and have the ability to flash custom roms without having to do the pc method.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

kgbcapthowdy is keeping up the good workkgbcapthowdy is keeping up the good workkgbcapthowdy is keeping up the good work

Can someone post how to get the custom bootloader without the pc?
Old 06-07-2010, 09:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

arsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

You will have to use toasts method it will require pc at first once you load the other updated rom you can flash without pc from there on out. I will try to find it again I am at work now instructions can be found here and at XDA tho.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

kgbcapthowdy is keeping up the good workkgbcapthowdy is keeping up the good workkgbcapthowdy is keeping up the good work

i did use toast method so i have perm root but i thought the recovery didnt stick. havent tried since then but still
Old 06-07-2010, 10:24 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

yea i tried it the only way ive done on this phone and when i did recovery it took me to the screen that was a triangle and a exclamation point and nothing from there. so ill have to do some research
Old 06-07-2010, 10:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

You have to load a different rom AFTER you do toasts method.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Pitchblack98 is just getting started
Send a message via ICQ to Pitchblack98 Send a message via AIM to Pitchblack98 Send a message via Yahoo to Pitchblack98

I keep getting the message "Unable to start tethering, Please try again!"

I used Toast's method to root all the way thru to a nand back up, but didn't load another ROM. I just stuck with what was there. I also tried to start tething with both wifi on and off on the phone with the same results. I got the message immediatly with wifi off. It took longer to get the message with wifi on.

Does that mean I'm not rooted correctly? Would it hurt to use the unrevoked method now after using Toast's already? Any help is appreciated!
Old 06-07-2010, 10:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I don't think toasts method alone will give you root while in android I think it is root only in recovery. In order to have full root you have to load a rom that has it built in that is what I did. I do not think it will be a problem for you to load the unrevoked on top of it.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4g
Carrier: SPRINT

wchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

This is the ISH!
Old 06-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4g
Carrier: SPRINT

wchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Smile Re: Free WIFI tether works !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchblack98 View Post
I keep getting the message "Unable to start tethering, Please try again!"

I used Toast's method to root all the way thru to a nand back up, but didn't load another ROM. I just stuck with what was there. I also tried to start tething with both wifi on and off on the phone with the same results. I got the message immediatly with wifi off. It took longer to get the message with wifi on.

Does that mean I'm not rooted correctly? Would it hurt to use the unrevoked method now after using Toast's already? Any help is appreciated!
I tried toasts and it did work. From you evo go http://unrevoked.com/m
It will start the DL. It took me a few reboots for the download to start. After you get it installed, you should be able to Tether with the best of them!
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G