PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: advanced task killer a must?
Yes def. 30 65.22%
No help 10 21.74%
Other apps are better 1 2.17%
Worked for me 6 13.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro/6850
Carrier: Sprint

SofaKingDum is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
First things first....atk is a must!

I have to say that after the initial launch of the hero....a very important lesson was learned. Battery Life is critical to the enjoyment you will experience with your phone. Soooooo, that being said. It doesn't matter which phone you have if it's dead it's POOP! BRING ON THE HTC EVO! BE THE WISER...INSTALL THE MOST IMPORTANT APP FIRST!

ADVANCED TASK KILLER
This should solve over half the users problems with battery life, also "training the battery" is a good practice and is suggested by HTC. The first charge should be 8 hours and the next charge should come once the phone has killed itself via battery death.

I love this phone and have been waiting it's arrival since I was 15 and would love nothing more than complete customer satisfaction and the best possible experience for anyone stepping into the world of technology for the first time.

PPC GEEKS FOR LIFE!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:01 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: EPIC!
Carrier: sprint

551skydiver is a n00b
Re: First things first....atk is a must!

Isn't the update autokilling apps anways? I was having an discussion with others on this device and we seem to be split 50/50 if this is really necessary..

Then:TP, Mogul, Treo 650, Timeport, Audiovox mp3 fone,Startac's,Uniden 5700 and a Brick.
Now: Epic 4g compliments of Samsung 3 days before launch!
Old 06-05-2010, 05:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

edub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularedub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularedub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularedub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 551skydiver View Post
Isn't the update autokilling apps anways? I was having an discussion with others on this device and we seem to be split 50/50 if this is really necessary..
That's not rrue. I cut my phone on yesterday and there was 22 things running to be exact running on my EVO. This was after the update ( the reason why I has to reboot ).
Old 06-05-2010, 05:10 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

CESkins is a n00b

The beauty of the Android OS is that you can go into the settings and see a detailed breakdown of battery usage by various phone components + apps/processes. The biggest drain on my EVO's battery is the 3G radio. I live in an area with a weak Sprint signal. Apps account for very little battery drain on my end (autosyncing apps however may be different if they sync frequently especially in a weak signal area).
Old 06-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

SofaKingDum is a n00b

The Evo is taking hits from new to andriod users who are experiencing flash battery life, this is drawing attention away from this killer gift of technology HTC has brought to us. I don't believe the latest version is killing apps, if anything it's killing the batt.

In addition with the EVO being 4g capable please Take Care Not To Enable 4G if it is not available in your coverage area. This will kill the hell out of your batt if your device is in constant search of a 4G signal.

GO SPRINT!
Old 06-05-2010, 05:23 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro and Touch Pro 2

cflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I always used ATK on wife's Hero and didn't realize the autokill stuff. Since I got Evo, reading reviews sounds like Advanced Task Cleaner 2.0 is better? Anybody have any true comparisons on results? I do like how it seems to work so far over ATK. But am curious what others think.

Edit, thought I would comment I didn't install anything killer wise till today, and I charged phone unplugged this morning at 10:30 and by 11:30 with NO usage my phone was down to 84% battery, I installed the cleaner and was down to 48mb free. Cleaned and had 230 free, whether it autodoes it or not, it was eating battery no doubt. After that and adding some stuff to autokill which I am still learning btw, would love a good tip on what should and shouldn't heh, but battery seems to last much better.

Last edited by cflynt; 06-05-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro II

wooten409 is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to wooten409

So, I've been reading everywhere ppl saying not use task managers or ATK and how they actually do more harm than good (http://androidforums.com/tips-tricks...d-users.html); and you guys are basically saying the exact opposite.. Confusion ensues....
Old 06-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g

dakidobf is keeping up the good workdakidobf is keeping up the good work

The battery life debate will always go on. Some ppl say use the ATK, some say it does more harm then good. Not two people really use their phone the same, so there is really no 1 thing that will work for everyone. Instead of saying, you MUST install this, maybe say this is what you did and how it worked for you. Tell us how you use your device so we can then make our own conclusion.

But the best thing to do is run your own tests and see what gives you the best results.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:33 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTV EEVVVOOOOO, and a BB tour
Carrier: sprint..and umm...PPCGEEKZ!!

Success100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Success100 Send a message via Yahoo to Success100

this is not correct, and is a misconception. You dont need task managers on Android phones. Anyone who knows kernels and operating systems can tell you this. Android is based off of linux, and memory management and allocation is all built into the linux kernel. So in shork, task killers are not necessary. Secondly, task killers on Android can kill critical processes that the phone needs to work, i.e., processes that control power management and things like that.

ALL HAIL SUCCESS100!!! lol!
Old 06-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

SofaKingDum is a n00b

I just have to make the comment that....well, I work for Sprint and am a sales/tech for my location. Wondering if we got our arses handed to us by the flux of customers for the EVO? Answer: YES! Result: A boatload of feedback and customer frustration. Mostly centered on batt. life. In saying "must" this is a great first step tool to resolving the majority of customer issues I have faced concerning battery life.

Customer base did in fact vary, dramatically, as there were 70yr old women and every 16yr old boy in my area. You can imagine the difference in use between those two demographics. Majority of non app related battery deaths were a result of lack of product knowledge and the understanding that 4G is not currently available in all markets. The 70yr old's evo had the 4G setting on and as it is not available the constant search for signal killed the batt, and quick.

Main reason for "must" is in the hope of resolving the majority of issues in order to keep the opinion of HTC and it's beautiful EVO as peerless as possible. I did a lot of work on 6/4/2010 to enable as many users as I could and want that work to be in name of one of the greatest phones ever. Not in the name of a batt issue phone, i.e. motorola.

PPCGEEKS 4 Life-

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G