PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: advanced task killer a must?
Yes def. 30 65.22%
No help 10 21.74%
Other apps are better 1 2.17%
Worked for me 6 13.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO 4G, TP2, Pre, Pixi
Carrier: Sprint

newone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: First things first....atk is a must!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Success100 View Post
this is not correct, and is a misconception. You dont need task managers on Android phones. Anyone who knows kernels and operating systems can tell you this. Android is based off of linux, and memory management and allocation is all built into the linux kernel. So in shork, task killers are not necessary. Secondly, task killers on Android can kill critical processes that the phone needs to work, i.e., processes that control power management and things like that.
Have to disagree. When sprint zone, sprint navi, and other bloatware are constantly running themselves in the background for no reason its a problem. Yeah you can go ahead and claim they are idle or whatever but anyone who has tested battery with/without a task killer will tell you different.

and if you use ATK on safe settings it does not kill processes, only real life apps. processes dont even show up in it, only things in the list are apps either I opened, or magically running sprint apps
Old 06-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaKingDum View Post

This should solve over half the users problems with battery life, also "training the battery" is a good practice and is suggested by HTC. The first charge should be 8 hours and the next charge should come once the phone has killed itself via battery death.

PPC GEEKS FOR LIFE!
Listen this right here is not exactly true, "training the battery" is something that worked for older type batteries, the newer lithium type batteries are a little different and running them to empty can potentially cause more harm than good.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

timtlm is keeping up the good worktimtlm is keeping up the good worktimtlm is keeping up the good work

Coming from wm, I really want to, but I'm going to see how well it manages on it's own. Here is an article saying how you shouldn't use task killers because it may actually slow your phone down more: http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-b...-with-android/
Old 06-06-2010, 04:57 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro/6850
Threadstarter

SofaKingDum is a n00b

This is the reason for polls, that maybe you didn't post but you voted. I hope the next 15 days shed some light on all of our opinions. regardless it is a blessing to see a phone like this on sprints network. let us all make this phone capable of what it's made to do.

Please do not hesitate to post your personal experience with advanced task killer. If it makes a difference it's worth the time of many users at my store (custies) that i might be able to help.

PpCgEeKs4LiFe
Old 06-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: SPRINT

cmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESkins View Post
The beauty of the Android OS is that you can go into the settings and see a detailed breakdown of battery usage by various phone components + apps/processes. The biggest drain on my EVO's battery is the 3G radio. I live in an area with a weak Sprint signal. Apps account for very little battery drain on my end (autosyncing apps however may be different if they sync frequently especially in a weak signal area).
Where in settings, do you see this? Is it an actual percentage or just mb's used?
Old 06-06-2010, 08:04 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G Touch

ChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuff

I really could care less how much battery life I get...I know out of the box it's not going to get anything like the Iphone, or other phones like it. Common sense tells me to disable or kill the processes that are not need for daily use...

Secondly, there are other ways of saving battery life....dim the screen a little bit, disable app syncing...trust me there are like 5-7 apps that sync constantly...by doing this I bet you'll see a moderate to good jump in battery life.

Heck, my TP2 only last about a day. Also remember, this phone has a 1Ghz processor in it, most other phones have half of that or less....so you have to figure that into it too.

If all else fails..buy a 2nd battery, or wait for HTC to come out with a Exntended battery for the Evo...most likley it will be over 2000maH...which will be a significant boost in battery life.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G Touch

ChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuff

HTC Evo 4G Standard Battery 1500maH

$34.99 free shipping, and it's yours..that way you have a extra one though the day to use...
Old 06-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4g

wchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Also you may want to install Startup Cleaner 2.0. I discovered that about 50 apps are launched when you power on your phone. I disabled about 25 of them. Works like a charm when paired with ATK..
Old 06-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4g

wchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdauria View Post
Where in settings, do you see this? Is it an actual percentage or just mb's used?

I think he means Apps>Settings>About Phone>Battery>Battery Use

Shows %'s
Old 06-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

reprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regularreprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regularreprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regularreprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I began using ATK on day one. When I set the program to start on its own I would get ridiculous battery drain. What I did instead was I disabled auto-start and disabled the notification bar icon. Result, less battery consumption. I only use it now for switching between applications. Simple as that.

I have experienced low battery drain and I am not tethered to a wall Jack. Thank you Android.

sent via Tapatalk

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G