PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH PRO2
Carrier: Sprint

tjmontan is keeping up the good worktjmontan is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: EVO Full Root & OTA ROOT|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing| for n00b's + Vide

winmonebie...this last post (answer) may help me as well..I pm'd you and thanks again for helping..You are truely first class!!!
Old 07-11-2010, 12:02 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Evo 4g

grants04 is just getting started
Re: EVO Full Root & OTA ROOT|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing| for n00b's + Vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
Titanium backup needs root access to work so I'm not sure how you were able to use it before the root?
I used unrevoked and it allowed me to use Titanium.

Quote:
Well you cant just "get past" that part. Check your hboot version.
Boot into boot loader and look at what version you have:

.79 your on the stock bootloader=you're "partially rooted" and need to redo the eng-PC36 step again. Possibilities:
Your file was corrupted-a lot of users have been getting incomplete DL's lately (I think you said you verified this-but triple check)
You didnt apply the eng-mtd file correctly is another possibility.
You are right. My screen says HBOOT 0.79

What should I do from here? THANK YOU for the help. I can flash custom ROMS on WinMo like nobody's business but I feel like such an idiot here (it took me a minute even to figure out how to check my hboot version! Arrrrgggghhhh!)

Kim
Old 07-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmontan View Post
winmonebie...this last post (answer) may help me as well..I pm'd you and thanks again for helping..You are truely first class!!!
Hey, just returning the favor from all that I've learned here. You're welcome. Happy to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grants04 View Post
I used unrevoked and it allowed me to use Titanium.

You are right. My screen says HBOOT 0.79

What should I do from here? THANK YOU for the help. I can flash custom ROMS on WinMo like nobody's business but I feel like such an idiot here (it took me a minute even to figure out how to check my hboot version! Arrrrgggghhhh!)

Kim
You're welcome.
The Evo has created a TON of Droid n00bs-myself included. You're almost done.
Both of you need to continue the process from 5R PROVIDED the eng-PC36 file (that you placed on your card in 5B) and the flash_image and mtd-eng files are all full, non-corrupt files.
This part should go smoothly provided you're files are complete and there are no issues with your SD cards.
Let us know.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:30 PM
N00b

Quote:
Both of you need to continue the process from 5R PROVIDED the eng-PC36 file (that you placed on your card in 5B) and the flash_image and mtd-eng files are all full, non-corrupt files.
This part should go smoothly provided you're files are complete and there are no issues with your SD cards.
Let us know.
Okay. I deleted all of the files that I had downloaded and have now redownloaded them to my PC. I am going to replace the PC36IMG.zip on my SD with the new copy and rename it root-PC36IMG.zip which should get me to where I was. I am going to replace the eng-PC36IMG.zip on my sd with the new one and rename it PC36IMG.zip which should get me to where I was. Then I am going to extract the three files in Full Root Files.zip to my sd card. Right so far?

Now, I start with step 2R (not "5r"), right? But I never did 2G and never renamed the image file as in 2J. What should be named what and where to start??

Again, THANK YOU. I swear I am pretty techie but still haven't got the hang of this Android yet...

Last edited by grants04; 07-11-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

s4audi is a n00b

is there a reason i get an error in step 5S.. The last command says "error writing misc: Permission denied"
Old 07-11-2010, 12:38 PM
N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4audi View Post
is there a reason i get an error in step 5S.. The last command says "error writing misc: Permission denied"
S4audi,

Where are the steps that you are following? I am following the steps in post 1 and I only see 2R and 2S, not 5R and 5S. Is there another set of steps in another post??

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

s4audi is a n00b

Yeah.. there is. Its the Rooting After OTA post.

Quote:
S4audi,

Where are the steps that you are following? I am following the steps in post 1 and I only see 2R and 2S, not 5R and 5S. Is there another set of steps in another post??

Thanks.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:44 PM
N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4audi View Post
Yeah.. there is. Its the Rooting After OTA post.
Okay. Thanks. I was following the other post since I never did the latest OTA. It seems that 5R is 2D in the first post so I will go from there.

Kim
Old 07-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Okay. I deleted all of the files that I had downloaded and have now redownloaded them to my PC. I am going to replace the PC36IMG.zip on my SD with the new copy and rename it root-PC36IMG.zip which should get me to where I was. I am going to replace the eng-PC36IMG.zip on my sd with the new one and rename it PC36IMG.zip which should get me to where I was. Then I am going to extract the three files in Full Root Files.zip to my sd card. Right so far?

Now, I start with step 2R (not "5r"), right? But I never did 2G and never renamed the image file as in 2J. What should be named what and where to start??

Again, THANK YOU. I swear I am pretty techie but still haven't got the hang of this Android yet...
Sorry, thought you were doing the 1.47 root (doesnt matter you are both at the same step)
Are you using the emulator or the PC? I'll focus on the PC version of Step 2.
Just remove any "old" PC36 files to avoid confusion-you dont need them on your card once you've used them.
2B) Just place the eng-PC36 file on your card. When naming it make sure, if you file extensions are hidden that you dont name it PC36IMG.zip.zip

2B through 2I unlocks Nand.
2J through 2L applies the recovery image.
Unlocking Nand ALLOWS you to boot into recovery (and to be able to write to /system) without the PC but without the recovery image you have nowhere to boot TO.

Last edited by iknowsquat; 07-11-2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: more info
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:12 PM
N00b

winmonewbie,

I'm using the non-PC method. This is what I saw on the screen and no request to update:

SD checking...
PC36DIAG.zip
no image!
Loading PC36DIAG.nbh
no image or wrong image!
Loading PC36IMAGE.zip

Checking PC36IMAGE.zip...

Then it goes to the main HBOOT screen.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos