PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 02:55 AM
Retired Staff-MordyT.com
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

MordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Android Terms etc.

Ok, like many, I am jumping to the EvO and Android after 7+ years of WinMo. Like many, I have lots of questions. First being "wtf is root?" (Ok, I kinda knew since most servers are linux based, and I have done work in that area.)

So like any true geek, I did a little bit of research.
I am writing this because I know a lot of you other converts have some of these same questions.

Root in Linux is the "SuperUser". The admin of all admins. (Think the hidden administrator account on XP) Is is the god of all things. You get the point.

ROOT:
Why do you need root access?

Well, back to my Windows analogy, lets say you have a student account on your schools computer system. You would love to delete the system32 folder, but you get "access denied" (ok, a little drastic, lets say you want to delete another users (locally stored) documents). As root/Admin, you would have no problem. So, root=full control. It is the super admin/superuser of the phone. You would need it to do anything that Google has locked down, like make changes to the operating system.

How to gain root?
Look here.

APK's:
Similar to how a cab is to WinMo, this is a app installer. Stands for Android Package. (Might need a program to use them, available from the marketplace)

Themes:

Some themes need to be installed like a custom ROM, that is to name them update and install from "bootloader" (if you will), by powering off and then powering up.
Specific instructions to be posted.

1. Look here for clocks.

NanDroid backups:
Similar to dumping a ROM on WinMo, or a full SPB Backup, more info on how to do this when the EvO is rooted.

Uses: Make a backup of how your device is before messing with something.

Task Closing and Task Managers:
So, as a long time WinMo user, it is important to free up RAM to keep your device optimized. So you open up your favorite task manager, and close the running programs you don't need open. While this may be good on WinMo, it is not a good idea on Android. Android closes it own programs when it is done with them. Stopping one may be a bad idea and users have reported the device ran smoother when they let Android manage its own programs.
Here is the article from Android Dev's. The short exert that you need to be worried about is:
Quote:
Android starts the process when any of the application’s code needs to be executed, and shuts down the process when it’s no longer needed and system resources are required by other applications. A content provider is active only while it’s responding to a request from a ContentResolver. Components might also be shut down by the system when they are no longer being used or when Android must reclaim memory for more active components. If the user leaves a task for a long time, the system clears the task of all activities except the root activity.
I HIGHLY recommend you read this source.

Batteries and Charging Time:
The batteries in the EvO are the exact same as in your TP2 and a whole bunch if other phones. So before you chuck that spare battery, check it.
Also, there might be a sms app issue which cause you phone to stay awake even when suspended. Quickest way to find out is to check you up time and total time. If both number are the same, you have an issue.
One last thing, the EvO Charger is a MicroUSB, not mini so your TP2 Charger won't work. Sorry!

My MUST-HAVE apps. This is a Personal collection.

Useful Apps to have:

AdBlock: Block those annoying ad in those free apps! (Thanks Apristel!)
Tapatalk: Mobile native forum experiance! (Works with XDA and PPCG and MU). Ask a forum admin to activate it on your favorite forum for free!
Disclaimer: Some info might be a little incorrect. I am still learning, and try my hardest to make sure all the info is correct.

Please don't copy and paste this, instead link to this post. Thanks for understanding. PM me with any questions about this.
Originally Posted by CozBoogie View Post
5. Everyone who thanks my post will receive instant karma!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers2114 View Post
MordyT is right.

Last edited by MordyT; 06-10-2010 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Final Update!
This post has been thanked 38 times.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:05 AM
VIP & Master of my Domain
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g

stroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIP
Re: All Things Root

Nice to see you moving over to Android MordyT. I am in the same boat. I've enjoyed reading your other posts where you give good explanations (i.e. Task29).

Old 05-23-2010, 03:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Quiksmage is becoming a great contributor

Looks interesting. Thanks for taking the time to write this all up for us.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:07 AM
Retired Staff-MordyT.com
Threadstarter

MordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroths View Post
Nice to see you moving over to Android MordyT. I am in the same boat. I've enjoyed reading your other posts where you give good explanations (i.e. Task29).
Thanks! I appreciate the feedback!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiksmage View Post
Looks interesting. Thanks for taking the time to write this all up for us.
No problem. I plan on filling this up once I have my EvO in about 11 days!
Old 05-23-2010, 03:29 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: S3/GN2/AXIOM/TP2/Hero/Moment/EVO
Carrier: *--USCC--*

apristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to apristel Send a message via Skype™ to apristel

MordyT, glad to see you on this side! I look forward to adding stuff to the infamous MordyT FAQ !!

-Adam
Old 05-23-2010, 10:44 AM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

I gave you some thanks. This post should help those who have never used Linux before.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP

Thank you as well for this thread, cant wait to see what can really be accomplish with the evo.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Retired Staff-MordyT.com
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicatrize View Post
I gave you some thanks. This post should help those who have never used Linux before.
I gave you some thanks back! And I am glad you are converting your apps to android (yes I use one of them and visit your site).
Quote:
Originally Posted by themuffinman View Post
Thank you as well for this thread, cant wait to see what can really be accomplish with the evo.
You and me both. Just 11 more days...
Old 05-23-2010, 01:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Hero

markus_del_marko is just getting started

IF they can even root the phone. I know the devs at xda cannot even root the new 2.1 release on the hero yet.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:01 AM
VIP & Master of my Domain
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g

stroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIP

It's been rooted now - LINK
This post has been thanked 3 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G