PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Evo 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   $10 is really bothering you? Check this out. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=121441)

Cicatrize 05-17-2010 11:12 AM

$10 is really bothering you? Check this out.

So, these threads about the extra $10/mo being soooo terrible are getting out of hand. I've decided to go out and do a comparison vs other carriers for similar plans as the $69.99 Sprint plan to see how it stacks up. Note: Although similar, NONE of these plans from other carriers offer as much as the Sprint plan does.

Sprint (EVO):
$69.99 + $10 Premium Data = $79.99
450 minutes and free m2m
N&W starting at 7pm
Unlimited Data & Text

Verizon (Droid/Incredible):
$59.99 Talk & Text + $29.99 Data = $89.98
450 minutes and free m2m for 5 numbers only
N&W starting at 9pm
Unlimited Data & Text

AT&T (iPhone 3GS):
$39.99 + $30 Data + $20 Text = $89.99
450 minutes w/ Rollover
N&W starting at 9pm
Unlimited Data & Text

T-Mobile (G1/MyTouch):
$79.99
500 minutes
N&W at 9pm
Unlimited Data & Text

This is obviously for people who are threatening to leave Sprint for another carrier because of this stupid $10 fee. Yes, it sucks, but come on...are you really willing to go to another carrier and pay $20 more instead of $10 more (exception: T-Mobile) and get LESS stuff?

Not to mention the fact that you can easily get monthly discounts with Sprint's service as there are links all over the web that show you how to do it (25% is common).

You also get UNCAPPED 3G and 4G with this $10, which I think is actually a great thing a lot of people aren't thinking about. I know, 5GB is a lot in one month (current cap) with 3G, but it's not impossible to hit, and with 4G, that'll be easy as hell since I know most of us will be downloading obscenely large files on it.

Quitchyerbitchin. :p

p-slim 05-17-2010 11:15 AM

Re: $10 is really bothering you? Check this out.

Your thing is not correct, T-Mobile has 2 seperate plans and you only named one. I have a nexus meaning I signed up recently and I'm not in contract, 69.99, 1000 min, unlimited m2m, unlimited text and data.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

sanjsrik 05-17-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 1757303)
So, these threads about the extra $10/mo being soooo terrible are getting out of hand. I've decided to go out and do a comparison vs other carriers for similar plans as the $69.99 Sprint plan to see how it stacks up. Note: Although similar, NONE of these plans from other carriers offer as much as the Sprint plan does.

Sprint (EVO):
$69.99 + $10 Premium Data = $79.99
450 minutes and free m2m
N&W starting at 7pm
Unlimited Data & Text

Verizon (Droid/Incredible):
$59.99 Talk & Text + $29.99 Data = $89.98
450 minutes and free m2m for 5 numbers only
N&W starting at 9pm
Unlimited Data & Text

AT&T (iPhone 3GS):
$39.99 + $30 Data + $20 Text = $89.99
450 minutes w/ Rollover
N&W starting at 9pm
Unlimited Data & Text

T-Mobile (G1/MyTouch):
$79.99
500 minutes
N&W at 9pm
Unlimited Data & Text

This is obviously for people who are threatening to leave Sprint for another carrier because of this stupid $10 fee. Yes, it sucks, but come on...are you really willing to go to another carrier and pay $20 more instead of $10 more (exception: T-Mobile) and get LESS stuff?

Not to mention the fact that you can easily get monthly discounts with Sprint's service as there are links all over the web that show you how to do it (25% is common).

You also get UNCAPPED 3G and 4G with this $10, which I think is actually a great thing a lot of people aren't thinking about. I know, 5GB is a lot in one month (current cap) with 3G, but it's not impossible to hit, and with 4G, that'll be easy as hell since I know most of us will be downloading obscenely large files on it.

Quitchyerbitchin. :p

This might be a valid post IF 4G was available everywhere. My suggestion, Sprint should only charge the fee ONCE the 4G service is available in a market. Instead, areas that don't have it are subsidizing areas that do. That's the unfair part of this fee. I keep saying it, I'll sign a contract that says "once the 4G service is available in your area, we'll charge a $10 fee" until then, don't charge the fee in those markets.

p-slim 05-17-2010 11:18 AM

T-Mobile also has 79.99 unlimited everything, unlimited voice, data, and text

Cicatrize 05-17-2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1757312)
Your thing is not correct, T-Mobile has 2 seperate plans and you only named one. I have a nexus meaning I signed up recently and I'm not in contract, 69.99, 1000 min, unlimited m2m, unlimited text and data.

I know...they have the "Plus" plans or whatever that you don't sign a contract for, but I wanted this to be as comparable as possible.

Also, I almost didn't add T-Mobile in there at all because their 3G coverage is almost embarrassing when compared to the other 3 competitors. IMO, they really can't compete with the big 3 at this moment in time.

srk468 05-17-2010 11:22 AM

I still just cant see it, it's like saying Comcast telling me that because I replaced my 6 year old Dell with a new state of the art Alienware Dell they were going to charge me $10 more a month, not gonna happen unless I go over my data cap at 250 gig. It just makes no sense!

Cicatrize 05-17-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanjsrik (Post 1757316)
This might be a valid post IF 4G was available everywhere. My suggestion, Sprint should only charge the fee ONCE the 4G service is available in a market. Instead, areas that don't have it are subsidizing areas that do. That's the unfair part of this fee. I keep saying it, I'll sign a contract that says "once the 4G service is available in your area, we'll charge a $10 fee" until then, don't charge the fee in those markets.

The point in the post is not in the validity of the $10 fee, it's the fact that you still get the best "bang for your buck" with Sprint, even with the $10 added on.

p-slim 05-17-2010 11:23 AM

Re: Re: $10 is really bothering you? Check this out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 1757320)
I know...they have the "Plus" plans or whatever that you don't sign a contract for, but I wanted this to be as comparable as possible.

Also, I almost didn't add T-Mobile in there at all because their 3G coverage is almost embarrassing when compared to the other 3 competitors. IMO, they really can't compete with the big 3 at this moment in time.

That isn't true, You obviously haven't tried T-Mobile and are just speaking off the top of your head. If You live in a metropolitan area T-Mobile is just as good as any other service, this is 2010, everyone including metro get good coverage. Now I have sprint and T-Mobile and my T-Mobile data speeds are superior by far. T-Mobile has hsdpa which gives me on average between 3-4 mbps, sprint holding on with 1.3, LOL. Sprint has wimax T-Mobile has hspa+, speeds are very similar. Wimax does has a superior ping which is why T-Mobile is doing lte next year.

sanjsrik 05-17-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 1757329)
The point in the post is not in the validity of the $10 fee, it's the fact that you still get the best "bang for your buck" with Sprint, even with the $10 added on.

But again, how is it a "best value" if it's for a service NOT available in most markets. Would you pay extra for cable channels not available in your area even though other markets have them on the promise that they are "coming soon"? Soon when? Tomorrow? Next week? Next month? Next year?

Sprint has NOT been very forthcoming about their rollout dates. Seems very odd about that.

Cicatrize 05-17-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1757328)
That isn't true, You obviously haven't tried T-Mobile and are just speaking off the top of your head. If You live in a metropolitan area T-Mobile is just as good as any other service, this is 2010, everyone including metro get good coverage. Now I have sprint and T-Mobile and my T-Mobile data speeds are superior by far. T-Mobile has hsdpa which gives me on average between 3-4 mbps, sprint holding on with 1.3, LOL. Sprint has wimax T-Mobile has hspa+, speeds are very similar. Wimax does has a superior ping which is why T-Mobile is doing lte next year.

I was a T-Mobile customer for 3 years before I switched to Sprint. Yes, T-Mobile does have 3G in large markets, but that's it. They lack the amount of coverage Verizon and Sprint have. Even AT&T is pretty crappy compared to these two. In the city I live in, we have over 100,000 population, yet Sprint and Verizon are the only two companies that provide 3G. That's pretty sad.

What's funny is that there are a lot of people around here rocking the iPhone 3G and 3GS, but they're using EDGE all day. Awesome value for $90/mo. lol

Cicatrize 05-17-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanjsrik (Post 1757330)
But again, how is it a "best value" if it's for a service NOT available in most markets. Would you pay extra for cable channels not available in your area even though other markets have them on the promise that they are "coming soon"? Soon when? Tomorrow? Next week? Next month? Next year?

Sprint has NOT been very forthcoming about their rollout dates. Seems very odd about that.

I'm not talking about 4G. It's still the best value even if you're using EVDO.

p-slim 05-17-2010 11:28 AM

Sprint and vzw do have more nationwide coverage, no argument here. But those that don't travel much and live in big cities should give T-Mobile a try, but smaller areas T-Mobile does suck balls.

WarChild 05-17-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1757328)

I have Sprint and girl has tmobile and Im in Daytona beach and Sprint by far beats tmobile.

CW

Cicatrize 05-17-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1757339)
Sprint and vzw do have more nationwide coverage, no argument here. But those that don't travel much and live in big cities should give T-Mobile a try, but smaller areas T-Mobile does suck balls.

Agreed. If you live in one of the speedier T-Mobile markets and never leave home, there's no reason not to use TMo.

p-slim 05-17-2010 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarChild (Post 1757341)
I have Sprint and girl has tmobile and Im in Daytona beach and Sprint by far beats tmobile.

CW

Well I don't know what to tell you, I have both, I can tether them to my computer and the results are nowhere close. Do you get anywhere near 3mbps with your Sprint phone, cause I sure don't.

BlackDynamite 05-17-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 1757331)
I was a T-Mobile customer for 3 years before I switched to Sprint. Yes, T-Mobile does have 3G in large markets, but that's it. They lack the amount of coverage Verizon and Sprint have. Even AT&T is pretty crappy compared to these two. In the city I live in, we have over 100,000 population, yet Sprint and Verizon are the only two companies that provide 3G. That's pretty sad.

What's funny is that there are a lot of people around here rocking the iPhone 3G and 3GS, but they're using EDGE all day. Awesome value for $90/mo. lol

Who gives a crap if T-Mobile's coverage map is as large as Verizon's? The only thing that matters is it T-Mobile has coverage where you need it. And for the vast majority of America, T-Mobile coverage is fine. If you live in a decent sized city, T-Mobile probably has coverage there.

On the flip side, Sprint doesn't have 4G coverage hardly anywhere. I don't see how you can justify Sprint charging everyone for 4G, and in the same post say T-Mobile coverage is a joke.

T-Mobile has more HSPA+ coverage than Sprint has Wimax coverage.

p-slim 05-17-2010 11:37 AM

Salty has a point, T-Mobile hspa+ coverage (which will be T-Mobile's whole 3g network) will cover more 4g then sprint by years end.

gTen 05-17-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1757348)
Well I don't know what to tell you, I have both, I can tether them to my computer and the results are nowhere close. Do you get anywhere near 3mbps with your Sprint phone, cause I sure don't.

I got 2.4mbps on my speed test for sprint >.>

sanjsrik 05-17-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 1757335)
I'm not talking about 4G. It's still the best value even if you're using EVDO.

YOU may not be talking about 4G, but THAT is what the fee is for from Sprint. They're CHARGING $10 extra for unlimited cap (which strikes me as funny that they finally openly admit that their "unlimited" meant sort of unlimited) and for 4G service. They're going to load the EVO up with a crapload of useless apps that pull from the network (so they claim) constantly. I'll wait for about 6 months possibly. I'm sure the extra "load" on their system is going to kill them if they're openly admitting that the EVO is going to be pulling data constantly. As always, I'm sure they're underestimating the actual usage and are going to get slammed with users and their usage demands.

I'll be chuckling when they have to remove the $10 fee because they'll have to reneg on their "unlmited" feature when people are streaming entire movies to their phones and choking the network.

p-slim 05-17-2010 11:43 AM

But the shortend of this post was basically to show everyone how much vzw and att customers are getting ripped off which still holds water. Their customers with these types of phones are all paying over $100 a month easy.

p-slim 05-17-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 1757354)

Not 3 but damn 2.4 over regular network with no air wave is amazing. Come to San Jose and those speeds will dramatically drop unless you have an air wave.

gTen 05-17-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanjsrik (Post 1757358)
YOU may not be talking about 4G, but THAT is what the fee is for from Sprint. They're CHARGING $10 extra for unlimited cap (which strikes me as funny that they finally openly admit that their "unlimited" meant sort of unlimited) and for 4G service. They're going to load the EVO up with a crapload of useless apps that pull from the network (so they claim) constantly. I'll wait for about 6 months possibly. I'm sure the extra "load" on their system is going to kill them if they're openly admitting that the EVO is going to be pulling data constantly. As always, I'm sure they're underestimating the actual usage and are going to get slammed with users and their usage demands.

I'll be chuckling when they have to remove the $10 fee because they'll have to reneg on their "unlmited" feature when people are streaming entire movies to their phones and choking the network.

4G is more efficient then 3g..there is no reason for it to choke..mostly considering that only 1 phone will be using the 4g while all others 3g...not to mention you do know that the current wimax is capped by sprint right?

BlackDynamite 05-17-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1757360)
But the shortend of this post was basically to show everyone how much vzw and att customers are getting ripped off which still holds water. Their customers with these types of phones are all paying over $100 a month easy.

While this is true, you know that going in with those guys. They don't just suddenly tell their existing customers, "If you ever want to upgrade your phone, it's going to cost you the price of the phone PLUS $40 per month extra and a 2 year commitment."

johnnycakes2 05-17-2010 11:48 AM

I agree with the OP, but I also agree with most everyone else who posted.

The bottom line is this: Anyone not living in a 4G area or a 4G-promised area has no reason to buy an EVO. It doesn't matter if it has the coolest tech or "performs better" with 3G than any existing device. For Sprint to charge extra for a feature that not everyone can take advantage of is a crippling decision. It's a bad move any way you slice it. Regardless of how valid Sprint's reasons are, it only matters how the customer perceives it, and they are perceiving getting pickpocketed by $10 each month. End of story.

I'm still getting an EVO 4G with a 25% monthly discount. I also live in Chicago, and do a lot of travel to NYC, LV and Orlando, so I'm covered. But I'm a rare case. Sprint could have figured out a better way to do this.

ace741 05-17-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 1757354)

Holy guacamole! I've never got speeds like that!! I'm in Houston and the most I'll get is 500k. Which is sad considering Houston is a huge market. I expect faster speeds. Compared to my friend who has ATT, he smoked my Sprint phone. I'm concerned about the future of 4G. I've read forums about when people got their 4G for the first time it was blazing! But only a few weeks later speed dropped dramatically.

p-slim 05-17-2010 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace741 (Post 1757375)
Holy guacamole! I've never got speeds like that!! I'm in Houston and the most I'll get is 500k. Which is sad considering Houston is a huge market. I expect faster speeds. Compared to my friend who has ATT, he smoked my Sprint phone. I'm concerned about the future of 4G. I've read forums about when people got their 4G for the first time it was blazing! But only a few weeks later speed dropped dramatically.

I'm glad someone feels me. I live in Silicon Valley, home of a lot of big companies, and we NEVER see speeds like that.

BlackDynamite 05-17-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1757379)
I'm glad someone feels me. I live in Silicon Valley, home of a lot of big companies, and we NEVER see speeds like that.

I usually get around 700k or so on the downloads.

gTen 05-17-2010 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1757367)
Not 3 but damn 2.4 over regular network with no air wave is amazing. Come to San Jose and those speeds will dramatically drop unless you have an air wave.

Haven't been to san jose yet but only gotten the 2.4mbps in vegas and ny..

closest Ive been is san Francisco and it was around 1.2mbps-1.5mps max

and yes no air wave..unless someone is stalking me from behind with an airwave lol

brownhornet 05-17-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1757319)
T-Mobile also has 79.99 unlimited everything, unlimited voice, data, and text

Yea... but its tmobile. Passsssssssss

Q_Q 05-17-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanjsrik (Post 1757316)
I keep saying it, I'll sign a contract that says "once the 4G service is available in your area, we'll charge a $10 fee" until then, don't charge the fee in those markets.

Then they should NOT sell the EVO in those market either.
Since obviously, having & not having an available 4G network + the commensurate fee is what's causing the uproar.

p-slim 05-17-2010 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 1757386)
Haven't been to san jose yet but only gotten the 2.4mbps in vegas and ny..

closest Ive been is san Francisco and it was around 1.2mbps-1.5mps max

and yes no air wave..unless someone is stalking me from behind with an airwave lol

Oh OK that makes sense but then it isn't fair. NY and Vegas are both hspa+ networks and even without an hspa+ modem my phone will get 7mbps or higher currently with my nexus one.

radar369 05-17-2010 12:50 PM

People......please don't forget that, how guilty Sprint may seem, that $10 charge isn't JUST for 4G! Again..........we don't know what all it covers because the phone hasn't been released yet for us to play with it to see what it does!

Sprint kinda made me look stupid.....in a way.....because they rolled out that $10 charge right after I stated that Sprint wouldn't charge for 4G if its not in your area..........but I am REALLY ANXIOUS to see how many people get this phone and say "WOW, who cares about the $10 charge.....this phone is the $#!T"

Cicatrize 05-17-2010 12:55 PM

Look what the iPhone did to AT&T's network. I think Sprint is trying to avoid this from happening by getting some extra money to make sure their network doesn't face the same perils.

Dr.8820 05-17-2010 01:04 PM

Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

i have sprint and tmobile. this thread is full of misinformation. i can't believe all the fuss over $10. deezaam! most of everyone complaining is getting a discount anyways!

p-slim 05-17-2010 01:08 PM

the $10 is definitely worth it if you live in a 4g area, those people including myself should not be complaining. Those not even on the 4g list should have some concern, I can understand them. Anybody getting 4g for sure should put yourself in their position. with no 4g and no 4g coming soon, this is basically just another android phone. Is sprint going to charge more for all 1ghz snapdragon or above phones?

WarChild 05-17-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1757571)
the $10 is definitely worth it if you live in a 4g area, those people including myself should not be complaining. Those not even on the 4g list should have some concern, I can understand them. Anybody getting 4g for sure should put yourself in their position. with no 4g and no 4g coming soon, this is basically just another android phone. Is sprint going to charge more for all 1ghz snapdragon or above phones?

Have I mentioned I love the EVO $10 fee or not..LMAO

CW

BlackDynamite 05-17-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1757571)

I could understand paying the $10 fee if it was only $10 per plan. But if they are charging $10 per phone, then it is a major cost increase to anyone on a family plan. $40 per month in my case. And on top of that, we don't even have 4G out here yet. We are one of the cities that got added to the updated list or whatever, but as of right now I'm looking at a $40 increase in my bill and not getting any upgrades in service- only upgrading the phone.

I love the phone, but $40 per month on top of my already over $200 bill is some significant cheese to commit to for 2 years.

p-slim 05-17-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarChild (Post 1757576)
Have I mentioned I love the EVO $10 fee or not..LMAO

CW

but you didn't explain how this is different then any other phone. you just mentioned you don't care. should all 1ghz phones get the $10? you didn't answer that.

WarChild 05-17-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1757597)
but you didn't explain how this is different then any other phone. you just mentioned you don't care. should all 1ghz phones get the $10? you didn't answer that.

Per sprints qualifiers for the $10 fee yes. I dont agree with the fee mind you Im just telling you what and why.

CW

p-slim 05-17-2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarChild (Post 1757606)
Per sprints qualifiers for the $10 fee yes. I dont agree with the fee mind you Im just telling you what and why.

CW

I wasn't arguing, i just wanted your opinion if all high powered phones should get the charge from here on out. You didn't answer it the 1st time.