PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G LTE
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint

princem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to princem131 Send a message via Yahoo to princem131
Re: Who's upgrading to the EVO 4G LTE?

Well didn't go to well this time. I'm not eligible until sometime in 2013 and they refused to let me upgrade early. They gave me an option to pay $165 for some buyback promotion but to do it I had to accept it today and pay the $165 on my next bill. That would bump my upgrade date to this month. They said if I didn't do it now they may not be able to accept it. I really didn't like the tone or way that they spoke to me and felt like they were kind of brushing me off. He stated how I could wait til my update or 2015 once they stop supporting Wimax and move everyone to LTE! The conversation didn't end well except me learning that its only $140 for me to cancel my contract and that price drops 10/month.

I may be blowing this out of proportion but I am at least going to consider leaving... 3G/4G suck where I live and most places I have been. They were on the upswing back when the OG Evo dropped, but since then it has deteriorated every year. But I've been hanging in hoping, waiting and believing it would improve for the last few years investing in Sprint's 4G endeavors. Has it improved? NO!!! Its the worst its ever been data speeds are unbearably slow! Today I wanted to throw my phone out of a window! The Evo 4G LTE (despite the lack of LTE in my area probably until 2013 lol) was glimmer of hope for improvement, something to keep me happy while I sit and wait for improvement, but now I'm so pissed I really am strongly considering leaving for better data pastures. I have been with Sprint a long time 99% of my cell phone-owning life, but idk man. I was ready to take the offer until they tried to sell me a crock of shit with an attitude. The biggest problem is I want the EVO, not an One X or a One S and based off leaked specs not even a GSIII, but Sprint may have just pushed me to a Magenta GSIII. I'm so sick of being locked to phones through carriers. I just want to get the phone I want on the carrier I want and I want to be able to leave said carrier WITH my phone when I want!!!!!!

... OK let me stop my rant I'm getting pissed again. I'm gonna let the situation breathe for a sec and call back one last time when there's more info on the release date smdh...

Check out my blog: http://brownhandstech.blogspot.com
Old 04-24-2012, 11:16 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TP2

EyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

hm, I don't see why you feel you are "locked" to a phone... I mean yes I understand your point... but not why you are angry over it :S

The phones are subsidized by plan, you can always buy it outright and use it on plan without problems and you won't be locked to a phone. I mean expecting to get a new phone whenever you want at a subsidized price is kind of unreasonable to me since the company still has to make some money in this

Well I do think the companies over charge for plans, but that's another thing separate from the subsidized thing for me, just because they charge so much on one end doesn't mean you can expect to take money out of them on something else. To me it's like expecting cars to be cheaper because using them (gas price) is getting more expensive...

that said, I've had no problems just waiting a month/or two and getting one from ebay/craigslist and using it, I'm not one that needs it RIGHT now and besides waiting a bit lets them pound out more roms/toys for me to play with
Old 04-24-2012, 11:51 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

princem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeB View Post
hm, I don't see why you feel you are "locked" to a phone... I mean yes I understand your point... but not why you are angry over it :S

The phones are subsidized by plan, you can always buy it outright and use it on plan without problems and you won't be locked to a phone. I mean expecting to get a new phone whenever you want at a subsidized price is kind of unreasonable to me since the company still has to make some money in this

Well I do think the companies over charge for plans, but that's another thing separate from the subsidized thing for me, just because they charge so much on one end doesn't mean you can expect to take money out of them on something else. To me it's like expecting cars to be cheaper because using them (gas price) is getting more expensive...

that said, I've had no problems just waiting a month/or two and getting one from ebay/craigslist and using it, I'm not one that needs it RIGHT now and besides waiting a bit lets them pound out more roms/toys for me to play with
Buying outright would be fine if I could then take that phone and move freely between carriers but due to how things go here in the US that's not an option. I understand the differences in tech (CDMA GSM etc) but even on similar networks its not easy to go between networks. It wasn't that they were unwilling to let me upgrade as much as the douche bagery they exhibited in the convo. We were wrapping up the call after I had initially AGREED to pay to upgrade when things went south...

Not sure the car/gas analogy quite fits either. My understanding is that the carriers recoup the cost of subsidies within the price of our rate plans, thusly charging even those of us who aren't in contract and haven't upgraded. I could be wrong but thought I read that.

But either way my rant just blew off some steam hopefully this works out I get the Evo 4G LTE and continue to suffer poor Sprint service with a sweet ass phone lol

EDIT: btw does that $165 buy back price the norm? Anyone else ever do that and is that the going rate?

Positive Vibrations

Last edited by princem131; 04-25-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:48 PM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!
Threadstarter

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Prince, I think you just got a DB.....you can call 10 times & get 10 different answers. When you get a person like that, it's best just to try again. Though, your argument may not get you too far, I believe they'll be supporting wimax for awhile.

as far as the buy up program....I am eligible for full upgrade on 6/1, they said if I wanted the upgrade now, it would cost me $60.....a year ago last Christmas, I bought my wife a Blackberry, the buy up price was like $80 & she wasn't eligible for like 6 months. Just depends on how much time u have left on your contract.

You may want to try another angle....ie...Last Dec I wanted to upgrade 2 lines on my account to smartphones but was trying to avoid the premium data fees. In our discussion I mentioned I might just cancel those lines & go to boost or something like that. I asked if there was anything they could do to help, she offered a $120 loyal customer credit to help offset the premium data, which of course I agreed. I then ordered (2) replenishs, lol.

I've also seen them in the past give you a credit to renew your contract....I know alot of people will try to get the renewal credit b4 buying a new phone, since they'll be renewing anyways.

worse case, u decide to leave & pay the ETF....if you're really gonna go through with it, they may offer you something to stay. They know alot ppl play this game, so you have to be prepared to really cancel.

good luck
Old 04-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ View Post
Prince, I think you just got a DB.....you can call 10 times & get 10 different answers. When you get a person like that, it's best just to try again. Though, your argument may not get you too far, I believe they'll be supporting wimax for awhile.

as far as the buy up program....I am eligible for full upgrade on 6/1, they said if I wanted the upgrade now, it would cost me $60.....a year ago last Christmas, I bought my wife a Blackberry, the buy up price was like $80 & she wasn't eligible for like 6 months. Just depends on how much time u have left on your contract.

You may want to try another angle....ie...Last Dec I wanted to upgrade 2 lines on my account to smartphones but was trying to avoid the premium data fees. In our discussion I mentioned I might just cancel those lines & go to boost or something like that. I asked if there was anything they could do to help, she offered a $120 loyal customer credit to help offset the premium data, which of course I agreed. I then ordered (2) replenishs, lol.

I've also seen them in the past give you a credit to renew your contract....I know alot of people will try to get the renewal credit b4 buying a new phone, since they'll be renewing anyways.

worse case, u decide to leave & pay the ETF....if you're really gonna go through with it, they may offer you something to stay. They know alot ppl play this game, so you have to be prepared to really cancel.

good luck
Yeah I was just pissed I really want to work this out because I dont want to leave Sprint. I wouldn't mind getting better data. So I am seriously considering it, but I want the EVO and I want to stay with the family here in our Evo forums. Honestly, OMJ you and some of our other devs are a big factor too! Your roms have been great on my phone and you're one of the most responsive and helpful devs and you're going with the E4GLTE so I know I'll have good roms!

Like I said I initially accepted the offer and was wrapping up the call. It was when the second rep got on that the convo went south. I'll call back soon and work something out hopefully I can get that customer loyalty credit. Maybe i can get them to match my ETF for the buy back
Old 04-25-2012, 04:21 PM
The Rootinator
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G LTE, HTC ONE

rootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the communityrootlinux is a trusted member of the community
It is all a matter of getting the right person on the phone.
Keep calling.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: SERO Premium

chong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good work

This went from the 3D to here. I guess all the 3D users like me are are getting this phone instead.

Now to throw a kink to it, what is this Galaxy Nexus thing that goes on sale today? I am going to the store to check it out this weekend. I have been a royal fan of HTC.

I did read that any LTE device will work 3G only, not 4G. But I just cant stand 3G speed. Skype will not work.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:10 PM
Almost a VIP

chong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good work

I wish this phone have the back of HTC One X. I dont like this two tone thing.

I did see the video of the new screen that Samsung had been doing already. It is molded and if you look at it from an angle, it seems like the screen is floating.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:12 PM
Almost a VIP

I just miss the slider thing anymore. Install the app that can predict your NEXT word and you dont even have to type much. I use Swiftkey X.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:04 PM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!
Threadstarter

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
This went from the 3D to here. I guess all the 3D users like me are are getting this phone instead.

Now to throw a kink to it, what is this Galaxy Nexus thing that goes on sale today? I am going to the store to check it out this weekend. I have been a royal fan of HTC.

I did read that any LTE device will work 3G only, not 4G. But I just cant stand 3G speed. Skype will not work.
I've been considering the GNex too, though I've always been a HTC fan....I just got a Nexus S for my son, then updated to ICS 4.0.4. Stock ICS is pretty fricken nice. Another BIG plus w/ the Nexus is it ALWAYS gets updated first, HTC has been draggin ass lately, they're more concerned w/ pushing a new phone.

The downside to the GNex is it's last years model, Sprint missed the boat....might as well wait till this fall for the next Nexus w/ Jelly Bean

decisions decisions....

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G LTE