PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > HTC Evo 4G Accessories

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 12:14 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Micro USB Cables that actually charge?

I bought 3 of these based on many good reviews on the product and actually having EVO in teh title.

Amazon.com: HTC Data Cable DC M400 for HTC EVO 4G: Cell Phones & Accessories

THEY DO NOT CHARGE.

My guess is this vender found a new vender because current shipping ones do not work.

They won't charge on Computer, in the Car or on OEM AC Charger.

The phone will show charging in all 3 cases but it does not charge.

The Original OEM cable works in all 3 situations.

So many other reviews on other cables have horrible stories about poor fit etc.

Does anyone know of cables that 100% work.

Can I buy HTC Brand Cables?

Ideally I like buying from Amazon (Prime) but will consider other sources. Amazon is so easy to deal with on returns in case they do not work.

I don't care if they are .83 cents. I just need some darn cables that work.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Linux Administrator
Pocket PC: HTC Evo -- Rooted

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff
Re: Micro USB Cables that actually charge?

Here ya go:
Heres is a list of cables from monoprice.com I have the 1.5, 3 and 6 foot versions and they all charge without any problems. I use them all the time. Plus, its hard to beat their prices

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...&cs_id=1030307

Yup, Thats the actual speeds I get from my 1U production server
If my posts have been helpful in any way, please click the "Thanks" button --------------------------------> ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO!! TP2 Toughbook CF19 Sprint WWAN
Carrier: SPRINT

morganlowe is keeping up the good workmorganlowe is keeping up the good work

I was about to post what BooDaddy did... I have the 1.5 foot and 6 foot of those cables and they work great in all situations. MonoPrice has always done me right with cables too, I buy them for my HDTV install business.

Ask me about cutting Vinyl Stickers in a PM!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:03 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

I've dealt with Mono Price before thanks.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

notrock knows their stuffnotrock knows their stuffnotrock knows their stuffnotrock knows their stuffnotrock knows their stuffnotrock knows their stuffnotrock knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooDaddy View Post
Here ya go:
Heres is a list of cables from monoprice.com I have the 1.5, 3 and 6 foot versions and they all charge without any problems. I use them all the time. Plus, its hard to beat their prices

USB Cables

Thanks for the tip. With my last three phones all using mini usb, I've have a nice collection. Now with the EVO I only have two. I just placed an order for two more.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:26 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff

If you look in the end of the micro-USB, you will see pins. It takes three pins to charge. It takes 5 pines to tranfer data. If you get a cheap cable, it is probably for charge only so be sure to check the pin out.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:02 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

I tried my co-workers OEM Droid cable it charges fine (motorola).

It's so hard to find OEM HTC cables. You almost have to buy some accessory from HTC to get an OEM Cable with it. Like Travel Charger, Car kit or something. Same goes for Motorola.

I did find a Motorola travel charger with cable from what appears to be OEM for $6.00 on Amazon (looks identical to what my co worker got with his Droid). But Amazon does not regulate authenticty of any third parties. Could be a yet another clone piece of crap.
Amazon.com: Motorola micro charger includes data cable: Cell Phones & Accessories

I ordered the Monoprice ones. But I'd prefer an OEM HTC Cable. I don't want to have socket issues either down the road. These made in china things are so junky and may compress pins, stretch sockets etc. The monoprice ones do say "2.0 Amp" which I think may solve the charging issue. But I still worry about quality of the fit over the long haul from an .87 cent cable.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Linux Administrator
Pocket PC: HTC Evo -- Rooted

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff

Well, USB is a set of standards. Each manufacturer has to build their connectors to those standards (which includes dimensions).

I have never had a problem using the monoprice cables. They charge great, and transfer data great.

The fit is the same with OEM cables. I have an HTC cable, and a blackberry cable, and they are identical to build quality as my monoprice cables
Old 01-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: T7380
Carrier: Project Fi

marctronixx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarctronixx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarctronixx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarctronixx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

i dont think HTC make usb cables. i believe they sub that job out.

i also have to agree with the monoprice gold usb connectors. they are much better than the stock HTC cable that ships with the evo due to the monoprice cables having a cobalt filter on the usb cable. this helps to shield out extraneous RF that could damage data. the htc cables dont do this out of the box. i have like 5 of these cables in the 6ft variety...

cant go wrong with the monoprice... dot get suckered in to "brand" names when it comes to accessories...
Old 01-20-2011, 01:33 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

I've never had a problem with a stock HTC cable.

Monoprice cables are working.

I didn't get the ones with the choke.

I've been burned too many times by getting "third party" stuff. Sometimes it's absolutely fine, and sometimes it's not and I don't have the time F around to find out. I was burned again this time. Because it's a flip of a coin. Both non HTC cables, both made in china. $6.00 ones do not work 0.87 cent ones do. I thought I was getting a HTC cable orginally (which I'm sure would have worked fine too, if it was). But it was falsely advertised as HTC brand and it was not. Yes I know HTC or Motorola may farm it out. But they will always work though.

Sometimes it's the time involved, not the money, that I will go with a brand name.

If you think everything from China is made to the same specs think again.

Try looking through the reviews on all the micro usb cables on Amazon.

I should have asked for recommendation first. But I thought I was ok going with an "HTC Brand" cable. But I was duped.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > HTC Evo 4G Accessories