PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 06:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

stormygal_indy is keeping up the good workstormygal_indy is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HELP!!! GPS software causing reboot and/or freezing

Update from my Sprint experience ... reflashed Sprint shipped and radio, didn't activate QuickGPS and verified no xtra.bin file was present, GPS worked once per boot and in a couple cases, reset the phone. Did a QuickGPS download, same results -- GPS once per boot. Date-changed the 10/20 xtra.bin (changed date created and date modified) and put it on my phone then restarted and still the same result... GPS works once maybe twice per boot. I also tried it with an xtra.bin that had the original 10/20 date on it with the same results.

It's almost like whatever program gets the GPS signal the first time isn't being told to let it go and release it for other program instances to access it.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:13 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormygal_indy View Post
Update from my Sprint experience ... reflashed Sprint shipped and radio, didn't activate QuickGPS and verified no xtra.bin file was present, GPS worked once per boot and in a couple cases, reset the phone. Did a QuickGPS download, same results -- GPS once per boot. Date-changed the 10/20 xtra.bin (changed date created and date modified) and put it on my phone then restarted and still the same result... GPS works once maybe twice per boot. I also tried it with an xtra.bin that had the original 10/20 date on it with the same results.

It's almost like whatever program gets the GPS signal the first time isn't being told to let it go and release it for other program instances to access it.
Did you put in BOTH directories (\Windows and \Temp) ? You didn't say.

I did exactly all the steps you did and it would not work for me until I put in both directories.

NOT \Temp on Internal Storage, \Temp on the Device (you should see an xtra.bin there already if you ran QuickGPS on that "flash"). If you don't see a "Do you want to replace this file" in both places then you know you copied it to the wrong place.

I use GoogleMaps for the first test. Other software might trigger things differently.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

stormygal_indy is keeping up the good workstormygal_indy is keeping up the good work

Yes, both directories and yes the proper \Temp directory. I've tried a combination of Google Maps, Bing and 2 different versions of Sprint Nav, starting them in different orders each time. I've tried multiple variations of the .bin file date -- current date, old date. I'm happy the xtra.bin fix works for some but it doesn't appear to me to be a one size fits all fix unfortunately.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Lurker

jmreyesiii is a n00b

=D> Whoo hoo! So far this appears to have fixed my touch diamond!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:25 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC diamond

wplusw is a n00b

It worked on my diamond as well. Just replaced it on both directories: /windows and /temp
Old 11-02-2009, 04:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

To those of you who have it running, do you use Sprint Nav as part of your test of whether it's running? And do you try multiple programs? In my rotation are Google Maps, GPS Weather Radar, Bing and Sprint Nav. Most recently I had success until I put Sprint Nav into the mix, then nothing would pull the GPS afterward.

(EDIT: I think as well that I notice a change of the xtra.bin date from 11/1 after Sprint Nav has been run, and QuickGPS is not activated to update)

Last edited by stormygal_indy; 11-02-2009 at 04:23 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:15 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: anyone
Carrier: anyone

fnakfhe is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
Not sure it matters but make sure the date is new on the xtra.bin file(s).
your right.

it works now.

before i just copyed the file over, and it keept the same date as the orignal poster's date.

but you have to use todays date.

so i just used NOTEPAD.EXE and opened the file then save it again,

this re-save caused the CREATION date of the file to be todays date, and now it works.

save to \windows and \temp
Old 11-02-2009, 09:25 AM
VIP Member

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

Don't use NOTEPAD it will change file. The file is binary and notepad is a text editor.

I tried wordpad and notepad (under windows 7) and they both changed the file. Older versions of notepad might work. To verify Use FC/B xtra.bin xtra_orig.bin in a DOS window and check they are the same. You may just be lucky.

I used a visual studios binary editor. But I'm sure there is an easy way to trigger the date to change.

There are free binary editors available.

If someone could write a cab that copies the file and sets new date it would great.

Last edited by mswlogo; 11-02-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:34 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormygal_indy View Post
To those of you who have it running, do you use Sprint Nav as part of your test of whether it's running? And do you try multiple programs? In my rotation are Google Maps, GPS Weather Radar, Bing and Sprint Nav. Most recently I had success until I put Sprint Nav into the mix, then nothing would pull the GPS afterward.

(EDIT: I think as well that I notice a change of the xtra.bin date from 11/1 after Sprint Nav has been run, and QuickGPS is not activated to update)
Try killing QuickGPS service. I use memmaid and just set it to manual and reboot. Good catch ! Hope sprintnav is using the service which is easy to disable.

If that does not work you can munge the registry so it won't find the gpsone servers. And if that does not work you are SOOL.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:19 AM
VIP Member

I double checked Notepad under XP. It will corrupt the file. DON'T use NOTEPAD to update date.

Here is a trick I found. In a DOS window (Command Prompt) do this.

copy xtra.bin+,,

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond