PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2009, 12:46 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Alltel

proslasher is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: the verizon diamond vs the alltel diamond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
Wow there is a lot of heresay and not much proof. First off, each location is going to have a different time to be transferred to Verizon. For example my area is September. Second, what proof is there that the Alltel Diamond won't work on Verizon? Third, (this came from Nexvision who used to work for a Verizon store) the reason there are gimped Diamonds on Verizon is because Qualcomm had a contract with Verizon to use crappier chipsets from before.
I have the Alltel phone and I had the Verizon version for a few days. The facts about the Verizon phone vs the Alltel phone are true; and thanks for the info about the contract... That's good to know :P

As far as the not phone working on the network within the next week, I mean they will stop working in the Greenville, SC market because they are upgrading the towers. This will happen to pretty much everyone who has a smart phone eventually from what the Alltel guy said.

I spoke with the Alltel store manager (in a corporate store.) I told him my problem with my diamond (vzw sent me there because i have a virginia number but live in sc and the markets here haven't merged.) His name was Ed Mueller, he said that Alltel phones will not be very compatiable on the Verizon network due to "network limitations." He said that they all will work for voice, but only some will keep internet and texting.

I also spoke with a Verizon rep and he said the same thing. He said that they are going to transfer the contracts, but he wasn't sure about the plans or the phones. He did say that there will be limitations of Alltel phones on a Verizon network.

Third, although this is not proof, it makes sense. Verizon replaces our phones with cheaper, crappier phones, and we get to pay for more services. At the same time, they get to change the contract creating more revenue for them. (When you switch to a Verizon phone, you also have to switch to a Verizon plan... When I got the Verizon replacement phone, there was an insert that said "By activating this phone you agree to the following plan change....... It added an additional 20 dollars for a smart phone package which was already included in the Alltel plan I had.")

And the Greenville, SC market is July 12th for the Merger.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:00 AM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Well that isn't what I've heard so I am going to take what you have said with a grain of salt. But...but you are probably accurate. And if that is the case I will probably leave.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Verizon

TizOnly1 is just getting started

Hi. I'm typing this on my VZW Diamond. I had been using a Vogue for the past year, until it crapped out.

Anyway, the Verizon Diamond is fine.

It has 192mb of RAM... the exact same amount as the GSM Diamond. I'm running Rhodium Manilla on it. Runs extremely smooth... no hiccups. I've used all variations of Diamonds and Touch Pros... VZW Diamond is just as responsive as any other. Sure, there's less RAM than Sprint/Alltel, but when do you ever even come close to running out of RAM on those? I don't ever come close to running out on the Verizon Diamond. RAM is not an issue.

There are issues though. After initial boot, you only have ~70mb of storage memory for programs. Nowhere near enough. I've had to move all caches to the storage card (the inclusion of a storage card slot being a huge plus, btw), and I still don't have enough to install everything I want to. The fact that there is no unlocker for VZW means we can't cook our own ROMs, and alleviate this. That is a big strike against VZW Diamond.

Lack of GPS sucks too.

So yeah, there are definitely issues. There are advantages though (microSD/faceted back). Make your decision with real info though, not message board talking points.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:09 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I thought they hacked the GPS? I guess not.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond

TizOnly1 is just getting started

Touch Pro GPS has been fixed. I haven't seen anything for the Diamond, unless I'm just missing something huge.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:13 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Diamond

Boss428man is a n00b

The llboredll Touch Pro GPS Fix V2 worked on my Verizon Diamond...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond