PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 06:26 PM
S2W
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2/MoPho
Carrier: Sprint

S2W is a trusted member of the communityS2W is a trusted member of the communityS2W is a trusted member of the communityS2W is a trusted member of the communityS2W is a trusted member of the communityS2W is a trusted member of the communityS2W is a trusted member of the communityS2W is a trusted member of the communityS2W is a trusted member of the communityS2W is a trusted member of the communityS2W is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: As n00b as a n00b can be.

This site is the first step to the knowledge you will need to aquire. So you indeed already started the footwork and made the right choice to inquire. I agree with some that searching is the answer. But sometimes what is the answer?

What I like about this site PPCGEEKs is that you don't have the arrogant replies that make you feel more noob than you are. By telling you to search instead of directing you in the right path.

You are correct most of us were noobs others were born with the ability. But in the end it was information that gave us the knowledge to create and do what we do now.

I suggest you read thru the site and gather as much as you can... its the only way you will truly learn.

To be honest, If someone did it for you what did you really learn. To fully take advantage of your device you will have to give ALL of yourself even if its at a moments time spared from your busy schedule.

I have several themes that I created from scratch if intrested you only need to link to my page and upload the theme. I ask for nothing since its my passion to create. But if you want to donate... please do so to the site.

You have a diamond so this forum will provide you with all the tweaks you need. Just spare a moment to read thru the threads. I say this with much respect.

PPCGEEkS... is the choice for opportunities. Give it a shot.

This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:46 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Threadstarter

mrkodak89 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by tersoth View Post
i finished drawing out the icons, ill try to post a mock up of what my idea is tomorrow (cause actally convering the images to manilla files, then putting the manilla files on my phone to take screen shots is a long and tedious process)...once we have a mock up you like then ill go ahead and convert all the images and package it up for you (converting the files usually takes a day to do)
Great, I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:49 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2W View Post
This site is the first step to the knowledge you will need to aquire. So you indeed already started the footwork and made the right choice to inquire. I agree with some that searching is the answer. But sometimes what is the answer?

What I like about this site PPCGEEKs is that you don't have the arrogant replies that make you feel more noob than you are. By telling you to search instead of directing you in the right path.

You are correct most of us were noobs others were born with the ability. But in the end it was information that gave us the knowledge to create and do what we do now.

I suggest you read thru the site and gather as much as you can... its the only way you will truly learn.

To be honest, If someone did it for you what did you really learn. To fully take advantage of your device you will have to give ALL of yourself even if its at a moments time spared from your busy schedule.

I have several themes that I created from scratch if intrested you only need to link to my page and upload the theme. I ask for nothing since its my passion to create. But if you want to donate... please do so to the site.

You have a diamond so this forum will provide you with all the tweaks you need. Just spare a moment to read thru the threads. I say this with much respect.

PPCGEEkS... is the choice for opportunities. Give it a shot.

S2W I've only been a part of this website for a few days and you've already managed to help me more the once. I'll probably work with the themes I'm having created for a few months or so, but either way I want you to expect a donation when my next paycheck rolls around. Simply out of appreciation for all of your help.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:35 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

What helps my battery life:
Make sure Opera9.exe isn't running.
Dissble Voice Command, automatic e-mail checking, auto backlight, and g-sensor if you wish (I don't).
Flash MightyROM5.
Disable things like QuickGPS.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:54 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

Biker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tersoth View Post
1. in order to make tweaks you will need a registry editor. there are 2 good ones i can think of off the top of my head. phm registry editor and total commander. do a search and you should find a cab for them. if not ill post one later tonight.

2. the theme im making will be easy to install. ill just put it in a .zip file and all you'll have to do is unzip it to your /windows folder.

3. most battery tweaks are spread out over the forum, the best way to find them is by searching. or alternatively you can load a custom rom which has all the tweaks included (see the diamond upgrade forum stickies to find out more about this)

as for what a .cab file is...basically you save the file onto your device, for example i save mine in "internal storage/cabs" (you can store them where ever you want). then after it is saved use the "file explorer" (its in the programs menu) to navigate to where you stored it. when you see the file just click on it and the .cab will do whatever it was designed to do. some .cab files install programs, some just make registery changes, some install files to your phone, etc. but they are mostly used for installing applications
I just came across this thread and I have a question regarding cabs.
I usually just download a cab and install it.
Is it better to save them first and then install them or does it not matter?
Thanks in advance,
Old 06-20-2009, 01:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond

DiamondsAreForever is just getting started

If anyone's got a link to advanced config, please post here for mrkodak89.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro2/Touch Pro/Diamond

Atomic2Mod is keeping up the good workAtomic2Mod is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker1 View Post
I just came across this thread and I have a question regarding cabs.
I usually just download a cab and install it.
Is it better to save them first and then install them or does it not matter?
Thanks in advance,
That's totally fine!

I like saving them: I have a folder on my pc where I download the cabs / zips and keep a url link to follow up later on or share with others.

On my phone, I keep a folder for cabs in my internal storage / storage card, so that when I hard reset the device, I just click, click, click to re-install what I liked before, instead of having to search online and finding them again etc.

You should not keep cabs on your main storage, since it will just fill up the storage and you don't need them there after they are installed.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Still a Geek
Pocket PC: GalaxyS Fascinate; Bold 9650 on the shelf incase!
Carrier: VZW/Sprint

eenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Hey guy here are my recommendations:
~ a cab file is simple an install format file similar to using an exe on a computer, you put the file on your phone (either download straight to phone or move to phone while connected to PC). Save where you want for organization purposes (USE internal storage as our Diamonds don't have much "device" room so you want to keep it simple. You then use a file explorer and double click or highlight and then press your center/circle button to install.. install any/all programs to Internal Storage if it offers you a choice or unless specified explicitely

~ There are some useful programs to have to complete simple tasks of customizing and maintaining your phone. Most are free. You will also receive a lot of advice, some conflicting... each user has his/her own favorite "easy" way of doing something. In the beginning stick with what you're most comfortable with. Personally, I'd advise against flashing a new rom ... which is 99% of the recommendations to fix EVERYTHING.. but then new users end up with just as many issues/questions.. so first learn your phone and take your time (when you have it) reading and learning... THEN decide if you want to flash. Which according to many is the ultimate enhancement. I've not flashed nor unlocked and I"m extremely pleased with my phone. I'm not saying anything against flashing, only against making choices when someone is not fully understanding the system first.

Here are some programs I'd suggest to get you going. When I complete the theme I'm working on it will be in cab format so you'll just have to click to install.

Programs for phone:
1. total commander (file explorer, reg editor, copy/paste/move files even system files, unzip/zip files) free program: http://ghisler.fileburst.com/ce/tcmdpocketarm.cab

2. Fingermenu... makes the diamond a bit more finger friendly with large, touchable, scrollable menus http://handheld.softpedia.com/get/Sy...nu-71888.shtml

3. Fingerkeyboard... great customizable keybaord that is easy to use on Diamond with great support! Discussion: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...inger+keyboard recommended install giannis cab: (your device is VGA: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/attachment...3&d=1239201402)

4. Backup program.. costs but worth it! My choice is SPB Backup:
http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/pock...ftware/backup/

5. SKtools another program that costs but has tons of features for tweaking and maintaining phone including moving text and email and other temp type files to Internal Storage.. saves memory issues! http://s-k-tools.com/index.html?sktools/m_feat.html

6. TF3DConfig... get the one that has the correct tweak file.. this program can be simple... you can move/rearrange your tabs as well as disable some. You can change "themes" if you end up going the route of using a ".theme" extension. And it has some simple tweaks.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/attachment...1&d=1243030704

7. Hibby's PPCgeeks app so you can read the forums on your phone while taking a break! http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=69027

8.... I'm sure others will chime in with links to the battery saving tips and other reg edits... most of which should be cab type of files so you can simple click on them rather than poke your registry.

BrennB
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:34 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenieMINI View Post
Hey guy here are my recommendations:
~ a cab file is simple an install format file similar to using an exe on a computer, you put the file on your phone (either download straight to phone or move to phone while connected to PC). Save where you want for organization purposes (USE internal storage as our Diamonds don't have much "device" room so you want to keep it simple. You then use a file explorer and double click or highlight and then press your center/circle button to install.. install any/all programs to Internal Storage if it offers you a choice or unless specified explicitely

~ There are some useful programs to have to complete simple tasks of customizing and maintaining your phone. Most are free. You will also receive a lot of advice, some conflicting... each user has his/her own favorite "easy" way of doing something. In the beginning stick with what you're most comfortable with. Personally, I'd advise against flashing a new rom ... which is 99% of the recommendations to fix EVERYTHING.. but then new users end up with just as many issues/questions.. so first learn your phone and take your time (when you have it) reading and learning... THEN decide if you want to flash. Which according to many is the ultimate enhancement. I've not flashed nor unlocked and I"m extremely pleased with my phone. I'm not saying anything against flashing, only against making choices when someone is not fully understanding the system first.

Here are some programs I'd suggest to get you going. When I complete the theme I'm working on it will be in cab format so you'll just have to click to install.

Programs for phone:
1. total commander (file explorer, reg editor, copy/paste/move files even system files, unzip/zip files) free program: http://ghisler.fileburst.com/ce/tcmdpocketarm.cab

2. Fingermenu... makes the diamond a bit more finger friendly with large, touchable, scrollable menus http://handheld.softpedia.com/get/Sy...nu-71888.shtml

3. Fingerkeyboard... great customizable keybaord that is easy to use on Diamond with great support! Discussion: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...inger+keyboard recommended install giannis cab: (your device is VGA: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/attachment...3&d=1239201402)

4. Backup program.. costs but worth it! My choice is SPB Backup:
http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/pock...ftware/backup/

5. SKtools another program that costs but has tons of features for tweaking and maintaining phone including moving text and email and other temp type files to Internal Storage.. saves memory issues! http://s-k-tools.com/index.html?sktools/m_feat.html

6. TF3DConfig... get the one that has the correct tweak file.. this program can be simple... you can move/rearrange your tabs as well as disable some. You can change "themes" if you end up going the route of using a ".theme" extension. And it has some simple tweaks.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/attachment...1&d=1243030704

7. Hibby's PPCgeeks app so you can read the forums on your phone while taking a break! http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=69027

8.... I'm sure others will chime in with links to the battery saving tips and other reg edits... most of which should be cab type of files so you can simple click on them rather than poke your registry.
You are big help! I've downloaded everything except for the two that cost money, I'd rather wait until the next paycheck rolls around. Are these necessary to have on my phone BEFORE I put the theme on it...or is this something that I can do afterwards?
Old 06-20-2009, 11:13 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Eenie, how exactly have you customized it? (FK2) I like having bigger keys.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond