PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 10:45 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Alltel

proslasher is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Cracked Screen; Which Path?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniebennybernard View Post
Unfortunately today at work, a customer was trying to get by me and I lost my footing. My Diamond was in my pocket at the time and it banged onto the side of a ledge causing a crack in the screen.

Luckily for me, it still works, no dead pixels, touch is just as responsive, but there is just a crack on the screen.

Now there are 2 ways to solve this problem, both of which I am unsure as to if I should take:

1) Since my phone is only 2 weeks, I can still opt for the insurance plan of an added $7 per month. I do not know if it can be canceled, but as long as it is within 30 days, I can choose add it on. I could add it on, wait a few days and then go in to Bell and have it replaced entirely. But then, is that extra $7 per month worth it to a plan that is already quite expensive on my student budget? But since I'm running a custom SPL/cooked ROM, does it void my warranty regardless? I read that I could change back, so really there is no problem, correct?

2) I could just get replacement parts online and fix it myself.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Bernie

Get insurance... you can cancel it later after you get a replacement.

Although, there could be a 30-100 dollar deductable
Old 07-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond Sprint flashed to Cricket
Carrier: Cricket

donj72 is a n00b

Last time I was on eBay they had the screen and the digitizer for them if you want to go that route.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Lurker

donj72 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougivemerash!!! View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I cracked my screen just now and mine is in the same condition as the OPs.

Everything on the phone works fine, no dead pixels, no screwiness, every part of the touchscreen works like new. It's just that the screen is cracked.

I don't have insurance and I'm pretty technical and good with my hands so I'd like to replace it myself.

What do I exactly need? Can anyone help me out? I don't want to get a unneeded part or the wrong thing.

Thanks.
I have had mine apart a few times and they are pretty simple to work on so have no fear just jump in!
Old 07-09-2009, 12:17 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

yougivemerash!!! is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by donj72 View Post
Last time I was on eBay they had the screen and the digitizer for them if you want to go that route.
I'm assuming I won't need a screen, but just the digitzer correct? Since everything is working fine regardless of the crack...

The LCD with digitzer is around $80-100. The digitizer is only $10-20.

I don't really want to get insurance and don't even think it would be covered since I got this phone out of contract for $170 back in November on Ebay. Adding insurance, paying deductible, re-activating, flashing, then removing insurance, etc... I'd just rather fix the phone if I can for $30 (if that's all it needs).

Last edited by yougivemerash!!!; 07-09-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Lurker

donj72 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougivemerash!!! View Post
I'm assuming I won't need a screen, but just the digitzer correct? Since everything is working fine regardless of the crack...

The LCD with digitzer is around $80-100. The digitizer is only $10-20.

I don't really want to get insurance and don't even think it would be covered since I got this phone out of contract for $170 back in November on Ebay. Adding insurance, paying deductible, re-activating, flashing, then removing insurance, etc... I'd just rather fix the phone if I can for $30 (if that's all it needs).
Yeah you will just need the digitizer cause it comes with the outer glass also. Here is a link I found to another place that sells it for $70 just in case you can't get it somewhere else.
http://www.pdasmart.com/htctouch.htm...FSXyDAod_kdJMQ
Old 07-09-2009, 05:33 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Threadstarter

berniebennybernard is a n00b

Sorry I never updated, but I took mine to a local cell phone repair shop that was recommended to me by Bell, and they fixed the screen for $30. You may have something like that in your area!
Quote:
Brown ahead for Bure. Bure going in.. he scores! Pavel Bure has won it for the Vancouver Canucks! It's a triple overtime hat-trick for Vancouver!
- Western Conference Quarter-Final Game 7, April 30, 1994
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Lurker

donj72 is a n00b

Quote:
Sorry I never updated, but I took mine to a local cell phone repair shop that was recommended to me by Bell, and they fixed the screen for $30. You may have something like that in your area!
Holy crap $30 is so cheap! You made out good man!
Old 07-09-2009, 11:13 AM
N00b

Quote:
Lucky! Do you have their address or phone number? I'd be willing to ship my phone to them if I have to. No places I know of in Charlotte. I did call one place (ALL IN wireless repair) and they said they don't repair diamonds.

I've found the digitizer for $25 shipped on Ebay, but the connector is what's throwing me off. Do I have to solder this thing on?

EDIT: Found a service manual for the GSM Diamond at Scribd. It's probably very similar to CDMA. If anyone wants a look- http://www.scribd.com/doc/16511471/H...Service-Manual

Haven't found how to take out the digitizer yet though at first glance. It better be in here!

Last edited by yougivemerash!!!; 07-09-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:28 PM
N00b

Found this video too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LrlBpgskwU

Basically I have to take the phone COMPLETELY apart just to put the screen in. I'll have to meditate before I get started.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond CDMA
Carrier: Alltel

buffalobooker is a n00b

Same problem here....Cracked on the middle bottom of the screen...right above the circular button thingy...the cracks radiate outwards towards the edges (about 7 or 8 cracks in total).. I am out of insurance claims and not quite sure if its absolutely necessary to get this thing fixed...my questions are:

1. If everything works fine there is just a few cracks in the glass is there a real need to fix it...by this I mean is it one of those deals where its just a matter of time before catastrophic failure?

2. I read about a few people able to repair their screens for ~$30....where was this....what kind of shop because I dont have any "cell Phone repair" shops in my area.

3. Last but not least, can someone explain the setup of the touch screen...I don't understand the difference between digitizer, screen, protector, ect....It seems like there is just a piece of glass that needs to be replaced..

Thanks in advance...

BB

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond