PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Cracked Screen; Which Path? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=62464)

berniebennybernard 03-26-2009 02:26 AM

Cracked Screen; Which Path?

Unfortunately today at work, a customer was trying to get by me and I lost my footing. My Diamond was in my pocket at the time and it banged onto the side of a ledge causing a crack in the screen.

Luckily for me, it still works, no dead pixels, touch is just as responsive, but there is just a crack on the screen.

Now there are 2 ways to solve this problem, both of which I am unsure as to if I should take:

1) Since my phone is only 2 weeks, I can still opt for the insurance plan of an added $7 per month. I do not know if it can be canceled, but as long as it is within 30 days, I can choose add it on. I could add it on, wait a few days and then go in to Bell and have it replaced entirely. But then, is that extra $7 per month worth it to a plan that is already quite expensive on my student budget? But since I'm running a custom SPL/cooked ROM, does it void my warranty regardless? I read that I could change back, so really there is no problem, correct?

2) I could just get replacement parts online and fix it myself.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Bernie

vincemash 03-26-2009 09:07 AM

Re: Cracked Screen; Which Path?

Quote:

Originally Posted by berniebennybernard (Post 800400)
Unfortunately today at work, a customer was trying to get by me and I lost my footing. My Diamond was in my pocket at the time and it banged onto the side of a ledge causing a crack in the screen.

Luckily for me, it still works, no dead pixels, touch is just as responsive, but there is just a crack on the screen.

Now there are 2 ways to solve this problem, both of which I am unsure as to if I should take:

1) Since my phone is only 2 weeks, I can still opt for the insurance plan of an added $7 per month. I do not know if it can be canceled, but as long as it is within 30 days, I can choose add it on. I could add it on, wait a few days and then go in to Bell and have it replaced entirely. But then, is that extra $7 per month worth it to a plan that is already quite expensive on my student budget? But since I'm running a custom SPL/cooked ROM, does it void my warranty regardless? I read that I could change back, so really there is no problem, correct?

2) I could just get replacement parts online and fix it myself.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Bernie

If they will let you get the insurance, I would add it now

majorassface 03-26-2009 09:10 AM

Flash back to shipped ROM, relock it and take it back. You will regret it if you don't! Insurance it good!!!

evil_duck 03-26-2009 01:10 PM

I agree with majorassface; since you dropped the device, this proves that insurance (for you) may be a good idea. Call it "peace of mind".

I am not familiar with the Diamond warranty, is a screen covered w/i the first 30 days?

MrObvious 03-26-2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evil_duck (Post 801250)
I agree with majorassface; since you dropped the device, this proves that insurance (for you) may be a good idea. Call it "peace of mind".

I am not familiar with the Diamond warranty, is a screen covered w/i the first 30 days?

Scratches are "physical damage" and won't be covered by warranty. So is dropping it. Get insurance for this $500 phone or get a cheap flip phone or quit complaining about the damage you cause.

borderal 03-26-2009 05:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I think you should get the insurance. Windows mobile/pocket pc phones screens crack fairly easily, so it will most likely crack again. (i cracked mine 3 times in a month). It is probably best to get the insurance.

Remeber to click THANKS if this helped

unclutchable 03-26-2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrObvious (Post 801326)
Scratches are "physical damage" and won't be covered by warranty. So is dropping it. Get insurance for this $500 phone or get a cheap flip phone or quit complaining about the damage you cause.

Nice avatar, Rabid Dog. :mrgreen:

MrObvious 03-27-2009 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclutchable (Post 802770)
Nice avatar, Rabid Dog. :mrgreen:

OT: They need a lol emot like at EOCF. lol I guess there is :evil4: but that's evil, not lol.

So yeah, get insurnace.

banjoeball 03-27-2009 02:22 AM

Indeed. get yourself that insurance.
It may be another 7 bucks every month, but who's to say that you don't crack the screen again? or something worse later on down the road, and then not have the insurance to save you???
To put it into perspective, sure it's another $7. But you are paying that much at least 5 times over to actually use the phone. You don't want to risk not having that kind of back-up.
I kind of wish I had some insurance myself, even though I haven't killed my Diamond yet... (knock on wood)

You never know whats going to happen.

EDIT: by the way, as long as you flash back to stock and relock, it is likely that they will never know. ever. (most of) the people selling you these devices don't know half of the capability of them.. and definitely don't know about this wonderful community!!!
:)

CyberBlaster 03-27-2009 09:15 AM

Don't forget if you open up the phone to fix it yourself, you could void the basic warranty you have on the phone. Then you have nothing :)