PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Cracked Screen; Which Path? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=62464)

berniebennybernard 03-26-2009 02:26 AM

Cracked Screen; Which Path?

Unfortunately today at work, a customer was trying to get by me and I lost my footing. My Diamond was in my pocket at the time and it banged onto the side of a ledge causing a crack in the screen.

Luckily for me, it still works, no dead pixels, touch is just as responsive, but there is just a crack on the screen.

Now there are 2 ways to solve this problem, both of which I am unsure as to if I should take:

1) Since my phone is only 2 weeks, I can still opt for the insurance plan of an added $7 per month. I do not know if it can be canceled, but as long as it is within 30 days, I can choose add it on. I could add it on, wait a few days and then go in to Bell and have it replaced entirely. But then, is that extra $7 per month worth it to a plan that is already quite expensive on my student budget? But since I'm running a custom SPL/cooked ROM, does it void my warranty regardless? I read that I could change back, so really there is no problem, correct?

2) I could just get replacement parts online and fix it myself.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Bernie

vincemash 03-26-2009 09:07 AM

Re: Cracked Screen; Which Path?

Quote:

Originally Posted by berniebennybernard (Post 800400)
Unfortunately today at work, a customer was trying to get by me and I lost my footing. My Diamond was in my pocket at the time and it banged onto the side of a ledge causing a crack in the screen.

Luckily for me, it still works, no dead pixels, touch is just as responsive, but there is just a crack on the screen.

Now there are 2 ways to solve this problem, both of which I am unsure as to if I should take:

1) Since my phone is only 2 weeks, I can still opt for the insurance plan of an added $7 per month. I do not know if it can be canceled, but as long as it is within 30 days, I can choose add it on. I could add it on, wait a few days and then go in to Bell and have it replaced entirely. But then, is that extra $7 per month worth it to a plan that is already quite expensive on my student budget? But since I'm running a custom SPL/cooked ROM, does it void my warranty regardless? I read that I could change back, so really there is no problem, correct?

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Bernie

If they will let you get the insurance, I would add it now

majorassface 03-26-2009 09:10 AM

Flash back to shipped ROM, relock it and take it back. You will regret it if you don't! Insurance it good!!!

evil_duck 03-26-2009 01:10 PM

I agree with majorassface; since you dropped the device, this proves that insurance (for you) may be a good idea. Call it "peace of mind".

I am not familiar with the Diamond warranty, is a screen covered w/i the first 30 days?

MrObvious 03-26-2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evil_duck (Post 801250)
I agree with majorassface; since you dropped the device, this proves that insurance (for you) may be a good idea. Call it "peace of mind".

I am not familiar with the Diamond warranty, is a screen covered w/i the first 30 days?

Scratches are "physical damage" and won't be covered by warranty. So is dropping it. Get insurance for this $500 phone or get a cheap flip phone or quit complaining about the damage you cause.

borderal 03-26-2009 05:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I think you should get the insurance. Windows mobile/pocket pc phones screens crack fairly easily, so it will most likely crack again. (i cracked mine 3 times in a month). It is probably best to get the insurance.

Remeber to click THANKS if this helped

unclutchable 03-26-2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrObvious (Post 801326)
Scratches are "physical damage" and won't be covered by warranty. So is dropping it. Get insurance for this $500 phone or get a cheap flip phone or quit complaining about the damage you cause.

Nice avatar, Rabid Dog. :mrgreen:

MrObvious 03-27-2009 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclutchable (Post 802770)
Nice avatar, Rabid Dog. :mrgreen:

OT: They need a lol emot like at EOCF. lol I guess there is :evil4: but that's evil, not lol.

So yeah, get insurnace.

banjoeball 03-27-2009 02:22 AM

Indeed. get yourself that insurance.
It may be another 7 bucks every month, but who's to say that you don't crack the screen again? or something worse later on down the road, and then not have the insurance to save you???
To put it into perspective, sure it's another $7. But you are paying that much at least 5 times over to actually use the phone. You don't want to risk not having that kind of back-up.
I kind of wish I had some insurance myself, even though I haven't killed my Diamond yet... (knock on wood)

You never know whats going to happen.

EDIT: by the way, as long as you flash back to stock and relock, it is likely that they will never know. ever. (most of) the people selling you these devices don't know half of the capability of them.. and definitely don't know about this wonderful community!!!
:)

CyberBlaster 03-27-2009 09:15 AM

Don't forget if you open up the phone to fix it yourself, you could void the basic warranty you have on the phone. Then you have nothing :)

berniebennybernard 03-28-2009 03:36 PM

Hmm... well I called Bell and they said that I need to go to a Bell store to get it inspected prior to getting the insurance. What are the chances of me getting it replaced? They said they need to check to see if there is already damage on it.

Is there a way I could replace the screen without voiding the warranty, get the insurance, and then crack it for a new phone?

hibby50 03-28-2009 03:43 PM

since ur within 30 days....

S2W 03-28-2009 03:59 PM

I agree peace of mind its what is important... get the insurance and all you have to do is pay a deductible.

If not you will ](*,)

MrObvious 03-28-2009 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berniebennybernard (Post 806151)
Hmm... well I called Bell and they said that I need to go to a Bell store to get it inspected prior to getting the insurance. What are the chances of me getting it replaced? They said they need to check to see if there is already damage on it.

Is there a way I could replace the screen without voiding the warranty, get the insurance, and then crack it for a new phone?

Don't just crack it. They may give you insurnace.

berniebennybernard 03-30-2009 12:32 AM

Went to Bell yesterday, the guy said he could gladly add insurance to my phone plan since I have had it for less than a month. However, he said that I would have to pay a $150 deductible every time I were to send in the old phone for a new one.

http://www.bell.ca/shopping/PrsShpWl...hone_Care.page

"The Premium plan covers failure due to defects in parts and workmanship, normal wear and tear, accidental damage, power surge and loss or theft for $7 a month"

So can anyone explain to me whether or not a cracked screen would be covered by this warranty? I cracked the screen on mine and it was accidental, but he said since it was my fault, I'd have to pay $150. Doesn't really make sense if I could just replace it myself for $30.

blasphemous_prime 03-30-2009 12:35 AM

Or your nearest repair center can replace the screen for you free of charge if you have insurance. That's how I did it, and take it from someone who had his screen replaced before.

nxtech3 04-03-2009 09:48 PM

phone insurance is just like car insurance. premium plus deductible no matter if its your fault or not. doing it yourself, you always run the risk of breaking something that cant be fixed, so if your are skilled, i would do it yourself, if you have any doubts, do the insurance route.

[sammich] 04-03-2009 09:59 PM

Reflashing and adding insurance are the best route [if committing insurance fraud doesn't bother you]

But I would keep the insurance because you never know when you'll need to replace a $500 phone for 1/10th of the cost...

EDIT: Its $150 for the deductible... OUCH

Well, if you can do the replacement yourself and leave NO signs of being in your phone [somehow keep warranty stickers in tact], you could take the now seemingly undamaged phone to your carrier for a manuacturer's defect... [random soft resetting? Overheating?] Be creative...

berniebennybernard 04-04-2009 03:07 AM

I don't think I'll opt to get insurance after the deductible charge (I didn't know about it prior to the original post). Most things should either break down in the first couple months or last a lifetime from my experience, and the manufacturer warranty should cover all of the above except physical damage such as the glass crack I have, but I went to an authorized repair shop recommended to me by Bell, and they offered to fix it for $30, way better than the $150.

yougivemerash!!! 07-08-2009 10:04 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I cracked my screen just now and mine is in the same condition as the OPs.

Everything on the phone works fine, no dead pixels, no screwiness, every part of the touchscreen works like new. It's just that the screen is cracked.

I don't have insurance and I'm pretty technical and good with my hands so I'd like to replace it myself.

What do I exactly need? Can anyone help me out? I don't want to get a unneeded part or the wrong thing.

Thanks.

proslasher 07-08-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berniebennybernard (Post 800400)

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Bernie

Get insurance... you can cancel it later after you get a replacement.

Although, there could be a 30-100 dollar deductable

donj72 07-08-2009 10:49 PM

Last time I was on eBay they had the screen and the digitizer for them if you want to go that route.

donj72 07-08-2009 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yougivemerash!!! (Post 1023413)
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I cracked my screen just now and mine is in the same condition as the OPs.

Everything on the phone works fine, no dead pixels, no screwiness, every part of the touchscreen works like new. It's just that the screen is cracked.

I don't have insurance and I'm pretty technical and good with my hands so I'd like to replace it myself.

What do I exactly need? Can anyone help me out? I don't want to get a unneeded part or the wrong thing.

Thanks.

I have had mine apart a few times and they are pretty simple to work on so have no fear just jump in! :)

yougivemerash!!! 07-09-2009 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donj72 (Post 1023504)
Last time I was on eBay they had the screen and the digitizer for them if you want to go that route.

I'm assuming I won't need a screen, but just the digitzer correct? Since everything is working fine regardless of the crack...

The LCD with digitzer is around $80-100. The digitizer is only $10-20.

I don't really want to get insurance and don't even think it would be covered since I got this phone out of contract for $170 back in November on Ebay. Adding insurance, paying deductible, re-activating, flashing, then removing insurance, etc... I'd just rather fix the phone if I can for $30 (if that's all it needs).

donj72 07-09-2009 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yougivemerash!!! (Post 1023773)
I'm assuming I won't need a screen, but just the digitzer correct? Since everything is working fine regardless of the crack...

The LCD with digitzer is around $80-100. The digitizer is only $10-20.

I don't really want to get insurance and don't even think it would be covered since I got this phone out of contract for $170 back in November on Ebay. Adding insurance, paying deductible, re-activating, flashing, then removing insurance, etc... I'd just rather fix the phone if I can for $30 (if that's all it needs).

Yeah you will just need the digitizer cause it comes with the outer glass also. Here is a link I found to another place that sells it for $70 just in case you can't get it somewhere else.
http://www.pdasmart.com/htctouch.htm...FSXyDAod_kdJMQ

berniebennybernard 07-09-2009 05:33 AM

Sorry I never updated, but I took mine to a local cell phone repair shop that was recommended to me by Bell, and they fixed the screen for $30. You may have something like that in your area!

donj72 07-09-2009 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berniebennybernard (Post 1024128)
Sorry I never updated, but I took mine to a local cell phone repair shop that was recommended to me by Bell, and they fixed the screen for $30. You may have something like that in your area!

Holy crap $30 is so cheap! You made out good man!

yougivemerash!!! 07-09-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berniebennybernard (Post 1024128)

Lucky! Do you have their address or phone number? I'd be willing to ship my phone to them if I have to. No places I know of in Charlotte. I did call one place (ALL IN wireless repair) and they said they don't repair diamonds.

I've found the digitizer for $25 shipped on Ebay, but the connector is what's throwing me off. Do I have to solder this thing on?

EDIT: Found a service manual for the GSM Diamond at Scribd. It's probably very similar to CDMA. If anyone wants a look- http://www.scribd.com/doc/16511471/H...Service-Manual

Haven't found how to take out the digitizer yet though at first glance. It better be in here!

yougivemerash!!! 07-09-2009 07:28 PM

Found this video too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LrlBpgskwU

Basically I have to take the phone COMPLETELY apart just to put the screen in. I'll have to meditate before I get started. :mrgreen:

buffalobooker 08-05-2009 11:13 AM

Same problem here....Cracked on the middle bottom of the screen...right above the circular button thingy...the cracks radiate outwards towards the edges (about 7 or 8 cracks in total).. I am out of insurance claims and not quite sure if its absolutely necessary to get this thing fixed...my questions are:

1. If everything works fine there is just a few cracks in the glass is there a real need to fix it...by this I mean is it one of those deals where its just a matter of time before catastrophic failure?

2. I read about a few people able to repair their screens for ~$30....where was this....what kind of shop because I dont have any "cell Phone repair" shops in my area.

3. Last but not least, can someone explain the setup of the touch screen...I don't understand the difference between digitizer, screen, protector, ect....It seems like there is just a piece of glass that needs to be replaced..

Thanks in advance...

BB

buffalobooker 08-06-2009 11:49 AM

I found this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/LCD-Touch-Screen...d=p3286.c0.m14

And I think this is for the GSM version...I have the Alltel (CDMA) version...is there a difference..or will this one work?..

mike171562 08-11-2009 06:21 PM

I just canceled my insurance, its not worth paying the 8 bucks a month if the deductible is 100 bucks. you can buy a slightly used diamond on craigslist or ebay for that much.

ekz13 08-11-2009 07:57 PM

agree with the insurance option, high end phone like that, wouldn't chance it.

buffalobooker 08-12-2009 06:26 PM

Well insurance is not an option for me....I bought a replacement digitizer off ebay since my lcd was fine.....anyone know where a guy can get instructions on how to tear this beast apart...Im gonna try it....