PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2008, 01:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Alltel..Verizon

overbyc1 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HORRIBLE Flaw that may cause me to return the Diamond.

An application every married man could love... Diamond locker - "Lock it up when you need some "not her" time." Lol... Id anonymously mail some cash for that one... haha.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC diamond w/groove 5 21232
Carrier: radio 1.11.00F on Sprint, 60652

bacspasm is becoming a great contributor

I have not had any issues whatsoever with either Juicy 2.4.1 or the 2.5.0. Meanwhile my girlfriend wished to stay on stock Sprint and has had 2 lock ups in the past week. Your experiences may differ but this is my experience.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Almost a VIP

SprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuff

agreed custom ROMs are a lot more reliable usually in terms of stability.

Also i do have to agree to use common sense- if its that important buy a $10 alarm clock if it could be life/death. Just like i dont trust my laptop to store my important sensitive file so i use a cheap flash drive as backup. Never rely on solely on one piece technology.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: TELUS

dj_mysha is keeping up the good workdj_mysha is keeping up the good work

I think that this is a deeper issue than the ROM that you're running. I had the Telus stock ROM for a couple of weeks before flashing to Juicy 1.8, at which point I hopped on the update bus right up to 2.4.1. I have had the hang-while-charging issue with every ROM. I use the phone as an alarm clock as well, but I also use a good old Sanyo clock radio as backup. Redundancy. It's a good thing!
Hope that helps!
Myke...
Old 10-18-2008, 08:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

ocbizlaw is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius85 View Post
Try unlocking and putting a custom ROM, like Juicy's 2.5, which im running. I get better battery life, more ROM space, no Sprint bloatware.

But the random freezing is just not cool. I got in a crapload of trouble when i upgraded my Mogul to 1.16 last fall, was on call for the weekend, and my phone randomly locked up. I got chewed out so bad for that, and nearly lost my job.
I haven't found anyone nice enough yet to explain the whole Juicy ROM thing. I pretty much understand how to do it but don't understand things like do you still have TF3D? How do you get Sprint TV and Sprint Navigation, weather and stuff like that. And where do you get and how do you reinstall Sprint ROM like it was if you want it back. I've asked here but I usuallly just get a reference to some post somewhere that makes no sense. Is there anyplace for a beginner to get an understandinjg of how this all works?
Old 10-18-2008, 08:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

daryllh is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocbizlaw View Post
I haven't found anyone nice enough yet to explain the whole Juicy ROM thing. I pretty much understand how to do it but don't understand things like do you still have TF3D? How do you get Sprint TV and Sprint Navigation, weather and stuff like that. And where do you get and how do you reinstall Sprint ROM like it was if you want it back. I've asked here but I usuallly just get a reference to some post somewhere that makes no sense. Is there anyplace for a beginner to get an understandinjg of how this all works?
there are stickied threads that explain how to do things. I came into this phone not knowing how to install a ROM on a Diamond. I had experience with my Blackjack but I was still leery about some things.

So, I read threads, did searches for specific keywords.

Main point is that while some dudes have helped me, I helped myself by reading, reading and reading.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Surround
Carrier: AT&T

Tiberius85 is keeping up the good workTiberius85 is keeping up the good work

Basically you run the Unlocker first, so goto that thread. Secondly you download the latest SPRINT Juicy's ROM. It has TF3D but the original look, not the Sprintified look. You can install Sprint TV or Navigation cabs if you want but they arent on it by default.

If you want to go back, download and reflash the stock Sprint ROM which is lurking on the Upgrades forum, but to start go to that forum.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

JoJoCal19 is a n00b

Rainfreak and Dj mysha thank you for your insightful posts. Rainfreak I will come back tomorrow and list all my apps, I dont have uncommon ones that some others are using and people are using on ppcs.

Dj mysha that is helpful to know. I guess it may not matter what rom I have and I may need to exchange the phone as it could be hardware related AND I know Ive seen atleast one other post where someone mentioned it happening.

To those that are saying, well get an alarm clock as an alarm clock, obviously you didnt read my entire post because I am pretty sure I clearly said that my fiancee goes to work in the way early morning and she may need to get ahold of me. If my phone is frozen and she cannot text or call when she needs then WTF good is it for? So that is my main concern. I have a BB that I can use and an alarm clock, I would just rather use one device and since I keep my phone next to me so my fiancee can call if need be, I just like to use it as an alarm too. So before you bash me on that aspect, think, if you go to bed at 10pm, what if your phone froze shortly after and you missed an important phone call because a family member was in an accident and was rushed to the hospital in critical condition? Exactly. If the phone is freezing at some point while its on the charger then that is no good.

I will probably be exchanging the Diamond out for a new one and go from there. It is important to say though Rainfreak, when I first got the phone and before I modified it or installed anything other than googlemaps, it did do this same thing. It was the first week that I had it and I figured it was just a one time glitch. Now that it has happened again, and after its been hard reset a couple of times, Im leaning towards a hardware issue.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:54 AM
exi
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

exi is just getting started

OP:

I had that problem on an HTC Touch. Having gone through three Touches, I'm pretty sure that it was not to the same extent (or even there) on all three, but I forget.

Interestingly, my Diamond has been much more reliable.

Hope you find one that works for you. I've had a Diamond give me near-perfect performance since I took it out of the box about a month ago, and it's on almost 24 hours a day.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:00 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond

dsmith5237 is a n00b

If you want to have the most reliable alarm clock and make sure you get the call, you might want to try a Motorola i530. It's loud as #### and rarely has issues. You can toss it around the room, against the wall, trip over it, sit on it, and it will most likely not skip a beat.

If you want a modern wonder phone that has bugs and glitches that occasionally rear their ugly heads, go for a newer phone, especially a PDA.

I use an old school alarm clock. For me, a phone is not and probably never will be a substitute for that. If I was in a situation where my wife/gf absolutely had to reach me, she and I would probably both have a backup phone. If she was expecting there was some other crisis potential event I wouldn't think twice before getting a backup. For your situation, a more modest solution may be to get a dumb phone for the house, just a trusty phone on the nightstand that you know will work when you need it.

My phone has locked up maybe once in the last three and a half weeks. I don't even know if that was a true lockup. It might have just lagged a bit and I got impatient. Either way, it was while I was doing installs and all, not while it was idle. Your mileage may vary, but the Sprint version of the Diamond is by far the most stable WinMo device I've seen/used.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond