PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2008, 04:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

cappy is keeping up the good workcappy is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: i know why battery life sucks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxnews View Post
so my battery drain is consistant with other's. Can you update your post with my setting at dim?
I have already updated the first three settings
1. All radios Off
2. Phone radio On
3. Phone On, Data On but not transmitting.

I was not sure about the other readings, so I did not update them. If you will confirm the adjustments for the other settings, I will update them.

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Dimomand
Carrier: sprint

foxnews is keeping up the good workfoxnews is keeping up the good workfoxnews is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy View Post
I have already updated the first three settings
1. All radios Off
2. Phone radio On
3. Phone On, Data On but not transmitting.

I was not sure about the other readings, so I did not update them. If you will confirm the adjustments for the other settings, I will update them.

Thanks.
phone and BT on: 61 mA (sometime jump to 377mA)

phone and Wifi on (wifi connected): 176mA (sometime jump to 496mA)

all readings are captured at dim backlight.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxnews View Post
phone and BT on: 61 mA (sometime jump to 377mA)

phone and Wifi on (wifi connected): 176mA (sometime jump to 496mA)

all readings are captured at dim backlight.
Readings updated. Link to Readings - http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=39192&page=6

When BT is On but not paired, my reading always is constant at 61mA. I have been observing just the Bluetooth today, paired with a Gennum 5000 earpiece. When paired, discharge hovers around 125mA. I have not seen it go over 300mA.

Over the last 8 hours, battery level has dropped to 45%, or 5.6% per hour. Doing the math, this is an average of 75mA additional draw per hour, which means the average indicated reading with Phone On, Data On, and BT on and paired is 61mA + 75mA=136mA. That is less that the 8% to 10% that I saw a few days ago. Perhaps after 10 days, the battery is better conditioned. Still monitoring. I hope to learn more and report because BT seems to draw way too much.

Last edited by cappy; 10-05-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch Pro

bigdaddie is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
I am ready to conclude that build quality varies from phone to phone. According to the NuePower software, my device draws between 75Ma to 85Ma when idle, whether connected to the Airave or not. As soon as Bluetooth is turned on, the draw goes up to between 160Ma and 211Ma at idle.
Here's my results from nueBattery also with an Airave:

1) Phone in Airplane Mode (radios off) screen completely dimed = 148mA
2) Display set where I can read it / AP mode = 193mA
3) Radio on, Internet Connection on, BT off = 193mA
4) As per 3) with BT on = 225mA

So if you're getting only 75 - 85mA of draw, WOW. That's like 1340 / 85 = 15.7 hours of standby. Mine is more like 1340 / 193 = 7. Now that sucks! I did just notice that ActiveSync causes about 100mA of draw. Make sure to shut that down! I'm letting ABC TaskManager run to see what the average draw is. I'll post my results.

RESULTS:

Battery was all over everywhere from about 50mA to 400mA. My guess is using 30min timescale was way too big and reflected the polling of the battery. Swithced to 2 min timescale and the average use is just under 100mA with backlight on and about 50mA with the backlight off.

Last edited by bigdaddie; 10-05-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch Pro

bigdaddie is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
It is 10:30 pm and my phone shows 69% battery remaining. As I said in a post 3 hours ago, I started at 6:40 am with 100%. There is no reason why others should not expect similar performance.
Cappy,
Using Voice Command, what does the signal strength indicate with your Airave? Mine says usually 10 - 30%. I do notice though that in a call the bars go way up.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddie View Post
Here's my results also with an Airave:

1) Phone in Airplane Mode (radios off) screen completely dimed = 148mA
2) Display set where I can read it / AP mode = 193mA
3) Radio on, Internet Connection on, BT off = 193mA
4) As per 3) with BT on = 225mA

So if you're getting only 75 - 85mA of draw, WOW. That's like 1340 / 85 = 15.7 hours of standby. Mine is more like 1340 / 193 = 7. Now that sucks! I did just notice that ActiveSync causes about 100mA of draw. Make sure to shut that down! I'm letting ABC TaskManager run to see what the average draw is. I'll post my results.
Link to Updated Readings - http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=39192&page=6

Your readings may be different because you are getting them from NuePower, which reports 100mA higher.

Here is my response to a similar question:
I have NuePower installed for the 1% battery display. The readings that I have reported are from Homescreen Plus, which is a plugin that I use in conjunction with SecondToday. Homescreen Plus reports -100Ma than NuePower. Both Homescreen Plus and SecondToday are by the same vendor. If you are interested, the link to the site is http://www.chi-tai.info/cs_wm_tools_im_cs.htm. I find this combination of the SecondToday and Homescreen Plus convenient and Homescreen reports CPU usage, battery status, and discharge rate, among other things, on one easily accessible screen.

Both tg1.0 and the7thson appear to be using SystemInfo. They give the same readings as Homescreen Plus (-100Ma less than NuePower). tg1.0 posted a zip file on page 5 of this thread.

mabmarc appears to be using NuePower. It reports 100Ma higher than the others mentioned, probably due to its polling method or screen redraw? There is a link to NuePower on one of the threads, maybe in this one.

You should consider using one of the tools above before comparing your readings. All readings were at the lowest backlight level. Once you have standardized your readings, you may find them consistent with the others that have reported. If not, at least you can begin to isolate the problem.

Use the link to the Updated Readings above to compare. Other information found in this thread is based upon different backlighting, different tools, etc. As the readings became more clearly understood, they have been standarized and are more reliable. For example, I did report a reading of between 75mA to 84mA somewhere in the thread, but that was with higher backlight settings. The standardized reading, at the lowest backlight is 57mA. This is identical to the others that have reported.

Actually, I expect 103 hours in standby (1340mA/13mA). Over several days of observation, I am sure that my device will get that, although I have recharged after 49 hours in order to conduct other tests.

My signal strength from Voice Command is 60%. Neat trick. Never tried that before. I am not sure what it means though. The phone itself, when connected to the Airave, reports the signal strength of the EVDO connection in the Status Bar, even though the phone connects a call through the Airave. I am not sure what signal strength the young lady in Voice Command is reporting.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond

marcjen is keeping up the good workmarcjen is keeping up the good workmarcjen is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjen View Post
Phone was at 15% by 7:30pm, I unplugged from power @ 9:30am.

Doesn't seem much different than actually using it. (minus excessive data and/or BT). I did get a couple voice mails I had to check along with texts and some emails (Activesync and AUTD run).

It literally sat there and did nothing most of the day and it STILL can barely manage a 12 hour run.

Tomorrow I'm going to turn the data connection off and see if there's any difference in life. I will also minimally use it.
Unplugged phone from wall today @ 9am. Immediately turned
DATA OFF
DIRECT PUSH OFF

Did about 15 texts today. Various checks of the battery.

As of 7pm, I'm at 60%!

Having the data portion of the phone on makes a HUGE difference imo.

What's weird, despite having data off, it kept giving me the Ev and /\ (roaming) this morning. Didn't see it much the rest of the day, however.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Unplugged phone from wall today @ 9am. Immediately turned
DATA OFF
DIRECT PUSH OFF

Did about 15 texts today. Various checks of the battery.

As of 7pm, I'm at 60%!

Having the data portion of the phone on makes a HUGE difference imo.

What's weird, despite having data off, it kept giving me the Ev and /\ (roaming) this morning. Didn't see it much the rest of the day, however.
Much improved over the 15% you reported yesterday! No comment on the Ev and roaming, but others have reported that a weak phone signal has an impact on the discharge rate. In my location, the device never switches to roaming.

I assume that you had BT and Wifi Off? This may be the key. I will bet that if you use no talk/data tonight and make sure that BT and Wifi are Off, you will still have 45% to 50% in the morning.

Last edited by cappy; 10-05-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond

marcjen is keeping up the good workmarcjen is keeping up the good workmarcjen is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Much improved over the 15% you reported yesterday! No comment on the Ev and roaming, but others have reported that a weak phone signal has an impact on the discharge rate. In my location, the device never switches to roaming.

I assume that you had BT and Wifi Off? This may be the key. I will bet that if you use no talk/data tonight and make sure that BT and Wifi are Off, you will still have 45% to 50% in the morning.
Ya, BT and Wifi off. I haven't even turned those on beyond the first day since battery life has been so poor.

I turned Data back on tonight and left Direct Push off. Just to see. But it's only been an hour and I think it's already dropped 10%.

Juicy just came out with a new ROM 2.4 today, so tomorrow I'll probably load that up and see if there's any difference.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Ya, BT and Wifi off. I haven't even turned those on beyond the first day since battery life has been so poor.

I turned Data back on tonight and left Direct Push off. Just to see. But it's only been an hour and I think it's already dropped 10%.

Juicy just came out with a new ROM 2.4 today, so tomorrow I'll probably load that up and see if there's any difference.
According to my own reading and several others, Data On but not transmitting has no effect at all on discharge. Interesting. Maybe you are on to something that is affecting others who are reporting sub-par battery life. Could it have something to do with a weak signal and the roaming that you mentioned? Or maybe Juicy's ROM? To drop 10% in an hour the discharge rate would have to be 130mA to 140mA ABOVE 57mA. Are you seeing that? If you are reading from NuePower, add 100mA. So your reading from NuePower would have to be 57+130+100=287mA. Easy to check.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond