PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 12:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond (Sprint model)
Carrier: Cricket
Threadstarter

ejdavis72 is keeping up the good workejdavis72 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Okay so what's the trick to get gmail working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgepa View Post
Two choices:

1. Download the Gmail app:

Different versions available, I am currently using the OM 5 + Gmail 2.6 combo cab.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=90127

2. Use a cooked ROM. OMJs is good, I prefer an offshoot of OMJs, the PMD HTC Sense 2.5 with Live TV tab:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...&postcount=128

Gmail is one of the preconfigured selects in the Mail area, so it is guaranteed to work with Gmail just fine. Mine works like a charm.
Well I tried the OMJ ROM and no go. I have no clue what is going on here with this.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I tried that gmail cab and that wont work either.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Hero & Touch Diamond
Carrier: Cellular South

PMDColeslaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPMDColeslaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPMDColeslaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPMDColeslaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPMDColeslaw is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by j37hr0 View Post
Live TV? Really? I have to try this.
Yep, come on over and give it a shot.

PMD ROMz - Please hit the Thanks button if I've helped you!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:04 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T

wmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIP

Hey Bud ... sorry you're having trouble with this. I'm pretty sure which rom you're using, and that isn't the problem. I don't typically d/l email to my phone, because it's so darn easy to simply check it with Opera Mini ... two clicks and I'm there. That being said, I did just set up my Gmail account using these directions that I saved a few months ago, and it's working perfectly.

To configure IMAP for your Windows Mobile 6 device, just follow these steps:
Enable IMAP in your Gmail settings.
Open the Start menu and select Programs > Messaging > New E-mail Account.
Enter your Gmail address (including '@gmail.com') in the E-mail Address field*. Google Apps users enter your full address in the format 'username@your_domain.com'*.
* Windows Mobile 6.1 users: Enter an unintelligible email address (such as 'g@g') at this step. This will bypass the automatic configuration for
POP access.

Uncheck the box that asks to get settings automatically from the Internet and select next.
Select Internet e-mail as your email provider in the drop-down menu.
Enter your name as you want it to appear in sent emails.
Enter a descriptive name for the email account and select next.
Enter 'imap.gmail.com' in the Incoming Mail Server field.
Select IMAP4 as the Account type from the drop-down menu and select Next.
Enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com' or '@your_domain.com') and password.
Select Next.
Enter 'smtp.gmail.com' in the Outgoing (SMTP) Mail Server field.
Make sure that the Outgoing server requires authentication box is checked.
Select the Advanced Server Settings link.
Make sure that the Require SSL box is checked for both incoming and outgoing emails.
Select The Internet as the network connection from the drop-down menu.
Select Done and then Next.
Select how often you want your phone to send/receive emails from the drop-down menu.
For more download options, select the Review all download settings link.
Select Finish.
Check our recommended client settings, and adjust your client's settings as needed.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:43 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Diamond, Vogue
Carrier: Sprint

overtheair is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejdavis72 View Post
Well I tried the OMJ ROM and no go. I have no clue what is going on here with this.
I'm using OMJ Sense 28014 v 1.6 right now and was able to set up IMAP Gmail successfully. I assume you did change the fake email address back to the actual address after configuring for IMAP, so if everything else was set up correctly I'm out of ideas.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:17 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint <--anything else would be uncivilized

PaydayJones is just getting started

Quote:
Okay... I can't get gmail to work on my phone for NOTHING!
I have been through every step and read all I can find on the internet and I have the IMAP enabled in gmail and I even tried it with POP.

Can someone write something up telling me the steps you took to get your gmail working on your phone?? I would really like to have my email forwarded to my phone and have not been able to accomplish this as of yet for some reason ha ha. Thanks
I haven't ever had an issue with setting gmail in wmob... it seems odd that you should have to go through all this, and I noticed that you said you couldn't even get it to fly with the app that was suggested.....

Are you able to actually log in over the web to your Gmail?

Also, because you are mentioning qutie a few things here,

are you trying to retrieve your gmail from your phone? or are you trying to forward your gmail to your phone? these are two different things...

Another question... do you have a true gmail address? xxxxx@gmail.com? or do you have an address that just has gmail as the backbone? I have a few like that and the set up is _slightly_ different....

Next up... are you trying to do it through activesync? so you have the contacts and calanders and push mail? or just through the email service?

Lastly, when you are setting up the "username" are you entering the full email address as the user name? xxxxx@gmail.com is the user name for gmail, not just the xxxx part.....

Sorry to ask so many questions, but so much could be going wrong it's best to narrow it down..
Old 02-04-2010, 08:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaydayJones View Post
I haven't ever had an issue with setting gmail in wmob... it seems odd that you should have to go through all this, and I noticed that you said you couldn't even get it to fly with the app that was suggested.....

Are you able to actually log in over the web to your Gmail?

Also, because you are mentioning qutie a few things here,

are you trying to retrieve your gmail from your phone? or are you trying to forward your gmail to your phone? these are two different things...

Another question... do you have a true gmail address? xxxxx@gmail.com? or do you have an address that just has gmail as the backbone? I have a few like that and the set up is _slightly_ different....

Next up... are you trying to do it through activesync? so you have the contacts and calanders and push mail? or just through the email service?

Lastly, when you are setting up the "username" are you entering the full email address as the user name? xxxxx@gmail.com is the user name for gmail, not just the xxxx part.....

Sorry to ask so many questions, but so much could be going wrong it's best to narrow it down..
Thanks for all that! I have a true gmail address and I can get right on gmail with opera browser no problem.

I have phone service with Cricket and I don't know if that is somehow goofing this up but I have tried every possible configuration and that gmail cab won't even work for some reason. After I put in my user name and password it just says loading or something like that and just never goes anywhere.

I am trying to set it up so that I can go to my mail tab and then hit send receive and it will check to see if I have any new emails and then view them. Thanks
Old 02-04-2010, 11:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmdunn View Post
Hey Bud ... sorry you're having trouble with this. I'm pretty sure which rom you're using, and that isn't the problem. I don't typically d/l email to my phone, because it's so darn easy to simply check it with Opera Mini ... two clicks and I'm there. That being said, I did just set up my Gmail account using these directions that I saved a few months ago, and it's working perfectly.

To configure IMAP for your Windows Mobile 6 device, just follow these steps:
Enable IMAP in your Gmail settings.
Open the Start menu and select Programs > Messaging > New E-mail Account.
Enter your Gmail address (including '@gmail.com') in the E-mail Address field*. Google Apps users enter your full address in the format 'username@your_domain.com'*.
* Windows Mobile 6.1 users: Enter an unintelligible email address (such as 'g@g') at this step. This will bypass the automatic configuration for
POP access.

Uncheck the box that asks to get settings automatically from the Internet and select next.
Select Internet e-mail as your email provider in the drop-down menu.
Enter your name as you want it to appear in sent emails.
Enter a descriptive name for the email account and select next.
Enter 'imap.gmail.com' in the Incoming Mail Server field.
Select IMAP4 as the Account type from the drop-down menu and select Next.
Enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com' or '@your_domain.com') and password.
Select Next.
Enter 'smtp.gmail.com' in the Outgoing (SMTP) Mail Server field.
Make sure that the Outgoing server requires authentication box is checked.
Select the Advanced Server Settings link.
Make sure that the Require SSL box is checked for both incoming and outgoing emails.
Select The Internet as the network connection from the drop-down menu.
Select Done and then Next.
Select how often you want your phone to send/receive emails from the drop-down menu.
For more download options, select the Review all download settings link.
Select Finish.
Check our recommended client settings, and adjust your client's settings as needed.
Hey thanks for all that info but there must be more at work here than what meets the eye cause I went to this phone flashing shop in town where I know the guys very well and a couple of them have Diamonds and they couldn't get to work either there must be a ghost in my phone or something ha ha. I give up, it's just not worth it anymore. Thanks for all your help

Don't worry I thanked everyone who tried to help me.. Seriously thanks for all your help guys

Last edited by ejdavis72; 02-04-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:08 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T

wmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIP

Quote:
Hey thanks for all that info but there must be more at work here than what meets the eye cause I went to this phone flashing shop in town where I know the guys very well and a couple of them have Diamonds and they couldn't get to work either there must be a ghost in my phone or something ha ha. I give up, it's just not worth it anymore. Thanks for all your help

Don't worry I thanked everyone who tried to help me.. Seriously thanks for all your help guys
You're welcome! This cell phone stuff is never perfect ... besides that's what keeps us coming back for more.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:48 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

andygallo is just getting started

Quote:

I didn't see it anywhere on the thread other than PaydayJones asking, but have you tried to use Activesync to use Gmail Push? If anything that's even easier to set up and it's much better than POP or IMAP (in my opinion at least)

Start > System > ActiveSync

Menu > Configure Server

Server Address: m.google.com (make sure the "server requires an encrypted connection" option is checked)

Next

User name: %Whatever is in front of @gmail.com (e.g johndoe, mike.smith, etc)%
Password: %Obviously your password%
Domain: gmail.com

Next

Check "E-mail" (make sure Tasks is NOT checked or nothing will sync)

You can set email options (like how far back you want to download) by highlighting "E-mail" and clicking the "Settings" button.

You can also check "Contacts" to sync up the contacts in your phone to gmail and vice versa. Very handy for me since I'm constantly re-flashing my phone because of all the awesome cooks here.

You can also check "Calendar" if you have Google Calendar associated with your gmail account so you can sync your appointments. Also very handy, I actually use my phone's calendar now.

Hope you haven't given up yet, otherwise I typed all this for nothing!

Last edited by andygallo; 02-05-2010 at 01:53 AM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond