PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Arrive/7 Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=260)
-   -   My next phone will not be Windows! I am going Android (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=149187)

ctiger 04-12-2012 12:55 PM

Re: My next phone will not be Windows! I am going Android
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by esqueue (Post 2170176)
I'm stuck with sprint due to my awesome plan and their service is actually works fell on my device. I do have an arrive but really miss the things that the arrive lack. I love it's reliability but hate that it is virtually dead. Since there is virtually zero support for this phone I will have to go with android with my next phone. I hate the evo though so it will have to be something else.

What support do you need? Just curious.
I just got my Arrive. I was with TP2 all the time, and was amazed with the capability of the WP7, love it.
We have iPhone 4s in the house too.
I have a A500 tab. So I can say I have experience with almost all mobile systems(of course not, no BB ever, never. No webOS neither) And the simplicity of WP7 is way better than what I had with the HC A500. Of course I didn't use a real Android phone, and tab is not a phone, but I used the Anroid port on TP2, which is so painful that I'd rather use the WM6.5. It did open the door for me, but just not working.
I like the fact that the msgs are displayed on lock screen, so I already know what's coming and don't necessary to go check if I don't want to. I first thought the yahoo mail is left along, but found that the embedded email can handle ymail alright. Better than the crappy ymail app on android. That one was quite annoying.

esqueue 04-21-2012 07:59 AM

Re: My next phone will not be Windows! I am going Android
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ctiger (Post 2175330)
What support do you need? Just curious.
I just got my Arrive. I was with TP2 all the time, and was amazed with the capability of the WP7, love it.
We have iPhone 4s in the house too.
I have a A500 tab. So I can say I have experience with almost all mobile systems(of course not, no BB ever, never. No webOS neither) And the simplicity of WP7 is way better than what I had with the HC A500. Of course I didn't use a real Android phone, and tab is not a phone, but I used the Anroid port on TP2, which is so painful that I'd rather use the WM6.5. It did open the door for me, but just not working.
I like the fact that the msgs are displayed on lock screen, so I already know what's coming and don't necessary to go check if I don't want to. I first thought the yahoo mail is left along, but found that the embedded email can handle ymail alright. Better than the crappy ymail app on android. That one was quite annoying.

The support I meant was custom roms and an unlocker. That was remedied slightly earlier than my post or after.

sircas 05-02-2012 02:58 PM

Re: My next phone will not be Windows! I am going Android
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2169977)
He hasn't came back to the thread so I guess he was trying to troll.

I don't Troll! And I do not live on this Site! I have other Interests where I am mostly! PPC Geeks is great forum! My cell phone is 4 or 5 down on my interest list behind Sportbike (Roadracing), BMW & Firearm interest.

I also finally got the update for my phone. I did take the advice regarding not to jump ship to quickly. We are keeping the Window HTC Arrvive until something better comes along.

TexasAggie97 06-28-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sircas (Post 2177305)
I don't Troll! And I do not live on this Site! I have other Interests where I am mostly! PPC Geeks is great forum! My cell phone is 4 or 5 down on my interest list behind Sportbike (Roadracing), BMW & Firearm interest.

I also finally got the update for my phone. I did take the advice regarding not to jump ship to quickly. We are keeping the Window HTC Arrvive until something better comes along.

I jumped ship less than 30 days into my Arrive experience taking advantage of Sprint's return policy. Now both my wife and I have a Samsung Epic 4G. Must have a keyboard!

Sent from my SPH-D700 on the PPCGeeks App

gjhuff 07-19-2012 03:07 PM

Re: My next phone will not be Windows! I am going Android
 
I have had my Samsung SII Galaxy Epic Touch now for almost a year. I too had been a WM user going back to before the PPC days. I enjoyed my Touch Pro 2 and was looking forward to the Arrive. But when I went into the store to test it, I was very disappointed to find it was a locked in system similar to the IOs on IPhones, crippled with no ability to customize. I don't use a smart phone for music so its' dependence on Zune was a turnoff, as well as its' relative inability to work with my computer.

When I dared to criticize MS for Windows Phone 7, on this board, you'd think I farted in church. I was told that I really didn't need the features I'd come to like in WinMo, that Phone 7 was better and my intelligence was questioned for not falling in line like a sheep.

Eventually, I went with the SII Epic. Originally, it came with Android's Gingerbread which has been upgraded to ICS 4. I've been very happy with it - it does everything the Touch Pro 2 did and more with better hardware and a bigger screen. I can customize anything to my heart's content - launchers, ring tones, gps, hotspot etc..

Since then, Windows Phone 7 is sinking and taking Nokia along with it. MS has announced that Windows Phone 8, as did Phone 7, will not run on Phone 7 phones. Its' market share continues to sink - but we're told this is due to the stupid employees in carriers' stores who don't sell their customers on the advantages of WP 7 over IOS and Android. In the Sprint stores in my area, the Arrive is no longer on display.

I think the market has spoken here.

eric12341 07-19-2012 04:58 PM

Re: My next phone will not be Windows! I am going Android
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gjhuff (Post 2183573)
I have had my Samsung SII Galaxy Epic Touch now for almost a year. I too had been a WM user going back to before the PPC days. I enjoyed my Touch Pro 2 and was looking forward to the Arrive. But when I went into the store to test it, I was very disappointed to find it was a locked in system similar to the IOs on IPhones, crippled with no ability to customize. I don't use a smart phone for music so its' dependence on Zune was a turnoff, as well as its' relative inability to work with my computer.

When I dared to criticize MS for Windows Phone 7, on this board, you'd think I farted in church. I was told that I really didn't need the features I'd come to like in WinMo, that Phone 7 was better and my intelligence was questioned for not falling in line like a sheep.

Eventually, I went with the SII Epic. Originally, it came with Android's Gingerbread which has been upgraded to ICS 4. I've been very happy with it - it does everything the Touch Pro 2 did and more with better hardware and a bigger screen. I can customize anything to my heart's content - launchers, ring tones, gps, hotspot etc..

Since then, Windows Phone 7 is sinking and taking Nokia along with it. MS has announced that Windows Phone 8, as did Phone 7, will not run on Phone 7 phones. Its' market share continues to sink - but we're told this is due to the stupid employees in carriers' stores who don't sell their customers on the advantages of WP 7 over IOS and Android. In the Sprint stores in my area, the Arrive is no longer on display.

I think the market has spoken here.

@gjhuff Excuse me??? Where is your evidence that WP is sinking? The Nokia lumia 710 has consistently been in the top 5 selling phones on T-mobile since release and the lumia 900 is number 3 in sales on AT&T. Both phones have top ratings

orangekid 07-19-2012 05:10 PM

Re: My next phone will not be Windows! I am going Android
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2183578)
@gjhuff Excuse me??? Where is your evidence that WP is sinking? The Nokia lumia 710 has consistently been in the top 5 selling phones on T-mobile since release and the lumia 900 is number 3 in sales on AT&T. Both phones have top ratings


That's because tmobile doesn't have a phone selection. Top 5??

After the SGS3, One S, SGS2, Amaze, I guess I can see some cheap people grabbing the free Lumia710.


And the Lumia900 top 3 on ATT, after the SGS3 and the One X, well I still don't see the luima900 being "top 3"

This article is saying something quite to the contrary of your sentiment...

Nokia Only Sells 600,000 Phones in U.S.

edit: also,

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...ref=technology

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...fall-34pc.html

looks like its smartphone sales kinda suck :banghead:

eric12341 07-19-2012 07:14 PM

Re: My next phone will not be Windows! I am going Android
 
All the sales numbers are speculations at this point. It's pretty obvious that this is an anti-WP site now with over 90% of members bashing it and even staff/former staff. Nothing I or anyone else here can say otherwise will stop it. Only thing is to see how salty all y'all feel when WP8 blows up.

orangekid 07-19-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2183582)
All the sales numbers are speculations at this point. It's pretty obvious that this is an anti-WP site now with over 90% of members bashing it and even staff/former staff. Nothing I or anyone else here can say otherwise will stop it. Only thing is to see how salty all y'all feel when WP8 blows up.

Dude don't get all victim and apathetic. You're displacing from the conversation and bringing up completely irrelevant points.
You're right. Nothing you can say will make WP7 a good OS any more than nothing I can say will change your mind about WP7 and T-Mobile (I happen to like T-Mobile)

WP7 failed. It's numbers, not opinion. It does not have shit for market share. It does not have the development to contend with android and iOS (and I actually don't like iOS that much),

and so they go and change the kernel base and make everything obsolete ? How is that going to solidify MORE development?

The Linux kernel isn't changing, android versions do, but it's all basically built in the same kernel with different shit on top.
They go from 6.5 to WP7 then from ce to nt, what's next? I want to like windows phone. Its a new toy I want to play with. But it's so closed and limited, it's like iOS with crappy apps support. I've owned a lumia710, an HD2, and a Focus S, and I know wp7 first hand.

It's just not producing no matter how you spin it

Maybe the reason people on this site and staff and former staff (and most of xda too btw) rags on wp7 is because it's just not that good or successful.!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus on the PPCGeeks App

eric12341 07-20-2012 03:29 AM

Re: My next phone will not be Windows! I am going Android
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 2183590)
Dude don't get all victim and apathetic. You're displacing from the conversation and bringing up completely irrelevant points.
You're right. Nothing you can say will make WP7 a good OS any more than nothing I can say will change your mind about WP7 and T-Mobile (I happen to like T-Mobile)

WP7 failed. It's numbers, not opinion. It does not have shit for market share. It does not have the development to contend with android and iOS (and I actually don't like iOS that much),

and so they go and change the kernel base and make everything obsolete ? How is that going to solidify MORE development?

The Linux kernel isn't changing, android versions do, but it's all basically built in the same kernel with different shit on top.
They go from 6.5 to WP7 then from ce to nt, what's next? I want to like windows phone. Its a new toy I want to play with. But it's so closed and limited, it's like iOS with crappy apps support. I've owned a lumia710, an HD2, and a Focus S, and I know wp7 first hand.

It's just not producing no matter how you spin it

Maybe the reason people on this site and staff and former staff (and most of xda too btw) rags on wp7 is because it's just not that good or successful.!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus on the PPCGeeks App

They aren't moving away from NT for quite sometime. The NT kernel is far more capable than the CE kernel, hence the switch and will be capable for years to come.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©2012 - PPCGeeks.com


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0