PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Lurker

mlbuckner is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I had to set mine to open with wep and it seems to work so far. Not as secure but I also have access to access point allowed by specified only MAC address so it is ok
Old 09-08-2007, 11:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

zenak is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbuckner View Post
I had to set mine to open with wep and it seems to work so far. Not as secure but I also have access to access point allowed by specified only MAC address so it is ok
not really, if someone is able to break your wep they will have no problem spoofing your mac address to get on.

I refuse to use wep, one of the issues with the otherwise nice looking wm6 rom that forced me to downgrade.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:18 AM
ksg
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2, TP1, Kaiser, Apache & HP iPAQ hx2495b
Carrier: Verizon (formerly Alltel)

ksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenak View Post
not really, if someone is able to break your wep they will have no problem spoofing your mac address to get on.

I refuse to use wep, one of the issues with the otherwise nice looking wm6 rom that forced me to downgrade.
I feel the same way. Hence why I downgraded. This is a show-stopper bug for me.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Raphael
Carrier: Sprint

allanak is just getting started
Send a message via ICQ to allanak Send a message via AIM to allanak Send a message via MSN to allanak Send a message via Yahoo to allanak
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenak View Post

Agreed - WEP is useless at this point...it can be cracked in minutes these days. If you're using WEP and somebody wants in your network, MAC filtering isn't gonna stop them.

Not having access to WPA networks is a bummer for me, but I've got my laptop with me most of the time to find APs to hop onto, and worst case I just tether anyway. I can probably count with my hands how many times I actually needed wifi. The only thing it'd be really nice to have the wifi (for me anyway) is to use a softphone because of the latency issues over the air.

SERO 1250 + unlimited text, TEP and free Airave <$55/mo
Old 09-09-2007, 04:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6900 / Vogue
Carrier: Verizon

vilord is just getting started
I just upgraded both of our phones to WM6. We have a WPA/PSK/TKIP network here and it did not work out of the box (big surprise, same issue as others here). Turning on bluetooth first or turning off the phone didn't seem to work, so I just kept trying different combinations of turning on and off different functions in the comms manager. After about 40 minutes of switching things on and off, and multiple soft resets, it came up on the first phone. Now I need to turn on bluetooth before wifi most of the time to get it to go through. The second phone was the same, but switching off phone and on bluetooth (after 5 other unsuccessful tries) was the required combination before turning on wifi.

So if your phone didn't work with the bluetooth trick, just keep trying and if you are patient enough (I only *almost* threw the phone across the room) it will eventually go through. Good luck!
Old 09-10-2007, 05:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

zenak is a n00b
Does it reliably connect again every time? Do you have to do this for every WPA-PSK network you connect to, or just the first one? I have two I regularly use....
Old 09-10-2007, 06:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6900 / Vogue
Carrier: Verizon

vilord is just getting started
Well, reliability is an issue. My phone generally connects without issue, but my girl's phone sometimes won't connect at all, have to just try again after a few hours Let me tell you she's not too happy 'bout that. I'll be trying some more tonight to figure out what the deal is.
I think it would happen for every network, but I only have one I use regularly at my house (no wifi at work)
Old 09-10-2007, 07:24 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Dardo is a n00b
Wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikmans View Post
HI! I start a new threads because we are a lot of person having the same problems. I'm not to connect to a secure network. If someone was able to solve that or have a patches to fix it, please post here. thanks

i used the Verizon 1.02 new patch...wifi did NOT work
just installed the verzion 1.0 patch..wifi worked like a charm
Old 09-11-2007, 02:07 AM
N00b

store2000 is a n00b
I used the Verizon 1.00 patch (Helmi's WM6 5.2.1620) and can confirm that WiFi WPA-PSK does NOT work. I've also tried disabling/enabling Bluetooth/Phone keeping WiFi on - it doesn't work.

I guess I need to sacrifice a goat ... or two (context: http://www.reuters.com/article/oddly...47086020070904)

Anyone knows what the fix may be ??
Old 09-11-2007, 09:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Diamond (on Alltel)
Carrier: Alltel

GnatGoSplat is becoming a great contributor
With Helmi's Alltel ROM, I couldn't get WPA-TKIP to work either. It sits at "Connecting" forever until I cancel it. I tried turning the Phone and Bluetooth off/on at the same time and separately. No luck.
Standard WEP works fine so it's good for home use, but my workplace uses WPA-TKIP.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache