PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2007, 07:55 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe
possible phone radio issue

Ok, My envious uncle decided to get a phone like mine. However, when he called VZW to have to set up and provisioned, he found that while he could make calls, he cannot receive them. When someone calls him it goes to his voicemail. I was thinking it was a provisioning issue personally but to make sure I flashed the phone with Kirvin C&S 3.5 and upgraded the radio to 1.41. Both upgrades went fine w/o any issues or errors. The phone was an ebay phone BTW. I tried the thread that was about losing and getting the radio back via MTTY but couldnt get that app to work. Does anyone have any ideas on why it can make calls but not receive? TIA

This is the thread in case anyone wants to look at it
http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6...turn-help.html
Old 08-28-2007, 09:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

jspenc3 is just getting started
Check his service mode provisioning settings. I had tried several hacks when I got my 6700 a year ago that caused the same problem. I spent an hour on the phone with verizon support trying to figure it out. I even did a little slick "guiding" them into the system settings to see if they'd tell me what my settings should have been (as I couldn't remember what item I'd changed). Fat chance.

I went through the day with half a phone, then when I got home sure enough once I reversed the hack everything was good again. As I said not sure what it was anymore, but it was probably either something to speed up the first ring with an incoming call or perhaps boosting the signal strength...
Old 08-28-2007, 10:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

unitypunk is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to unitypunk Send a message via MSN to unitypunk
becarefull.. the radio is very touchy on the 6700..

mine just left one afternoon.. lol

get total equipment coverage, its worth it.
(RIP)Xv-6700 #7
(POS)Pantech Pn-820 (dead, and proud of it. lol)
(Current)Vzw Touch Pro
http://unity.hopto.org
Old 08-28-2007, 10:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Matrix is just getting started
It sounds to me like he has it set to something other than hybrid. I don't have my 6700 in front of me now, but there's a setting in phone options to keep the radio on 1X, HDR, or Hybrid. If it's set to HDR (aka EVDO) the phone will never drop out of data-only mode, meaning all your calls will go to voicemail. It happened to me once and drove me nuts until I finally figured it out.

-TM
Old 08-29-2007, 10:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

bigirb2002 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to bigirb2002 Send a message via Yahoo to bigirb2002
I had problems with my radio leaving so I decided to keep utstarcom battery in and not take it out a ferew w days. because every time I switched to cheap ebay battery the radio left. then I upgraded to radio 1.41. so for days the radio didn't leave again.yesterday I was packing for a trip. I got 3 batteries. 2 ut starcom and 1 ebay cheapo.

I put the ebay cheapo in the radio disapeared. took it out put the utstarcom battery in it came back.weird but true.that solved all my radio issues
Old 08-29-2007, 11:55 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW
Threadstarter

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspenc3 View Post
Check his service mode provisioning settings. I had tried several hacks when I got my 6700 a year ago that caused the same problem. I spent an hour on the phone with verizon support trying to figure it out. I even did a little slick "guiding" them into the system settings to see if they'd tell me what my settings should have been (as I couldn't remember what item I'd changed). Fat chance. I went through the day with half a phone, then when I got home sure enough once I reversed the hack everything was good again. As I said not sure what it was anymore, but it was probably either something to speed up the first ring with an incoming call or perhaps boosting the signal strength...
I know those hacks you are talking about but that is one of the reasons I did a hard reset and flashed to a new ROM. I was hoping to get away with whatever had been done previously to it. I know it had been messed with by its orevious owner because it had the splash screen of two apache choppers which we all know as coloners (SP?). I thinkit is provisioning settings as well. I logged into the EPST and checked the settings. Some were different than mine but they did match up with each other (although I do still think it is something in there)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitypunk View Post
becarefull.. the radio is very touchy on the 6700.. mine just left one afternoon.. lol .get total equipment coverage, its worth it.
Got it but it doesnt help at this point. We didnt buy a phone from someone just to turn in to VZW for a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
It sounds to me like he has it set to something other than hybrid. I don't have my 6700 in front of me now, but there's a setting in phone options to keep the radio on 1X, HDR, or Hybrid. If it's set to HDR (aka EVDO) the phone will never drop out of data-only mode, meaning all your calls will go to voicemail. It happened to me once and drove me nuts until I finally figured it out.

-TM
Would a hard reset and upgrade to the ROM correct this? Get back to me and let me know where this setting is at because I looked in my phone and couldnt find it. THX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigirb2002 View Post
I had problems with my radio leaving so I decided to keep utstarcom battery in and not take it out a ferew w days. because every time I switched to cheap ebay battery the radio left. then I upgraded to radio 1.41. so for days the radio didn't leave again.yesterday I was packing for a trip. I got 3 batteries. 2 ut starcom and 1 ebay cheapo. I put the ebay cheapo in the radio disapeared. took it out put the utstarcom battery in it came back.weird but true.that solved all my radio issues
Well I know he stil lhas the OEM UTStar 1350 battery.

Overall guys, I DONT think it is the radio itself because it obviously works due to him being able to MAKE a call but just not receive. This is why I think it is a setting in EPST or provisioning build. But hey, what do I know?
Old 08-29-2007, 12:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: xv6700
Carrier: Verizon

bmtbandit is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to bmtbandit Send a message via Skype™ to bmtbandit
Modes are accessed under the ## codes, and will persist through upgrades, and hard resets. I would try to flash to the staock Verizon Rom, and get back to a "known good" state. Go through and compare the settings from yours to the other under teh ##778. Modem Settings, CDMA Settings specificlly.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:19 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
##PST Talk
Click Edit
When it asks for MSL type 000000 (6 zeros)
Go to Modem Settings page (drop down in upper left)
On Preferred Mode line, make sure it's set to Automatic (you should be able to tap and change it if not).
Hit OK in upper right corner
Should be prompted to soft reset phone, otherwise do it yourself.

That should do it.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:42 PM
N00b

store2000 is a n00b
I want to add to what is mentioned above. I had the recommended settings but was experiencing the same problem i.e. not receiving any incoming calls. Incoming calls were going to voicemail. I went back into the settings and noticed another item that needs to be set. For the sake of completeness, I'm listing it from A to Z. Credits to posters on this thread.

Solution:
1. Dial ##778 (call) (i.e. ##PST (talk))
2. Choose "edit"
3. Enter all 0's for unlock code. (for verizon at least)
4. Go to "modem settings"
5. Preferred Serving System: "Automatic"
6. Preferred Mode: "Automatic"
7. HDR Hybrid Prefered: "Enabled"

In my case everything seemed ok, but #7 was "disabled" so the phone was always in 1xEVDO (commonly, EVDO) mode. BTW, "DO" of EVDO is for data only. You need to switch to 1xRTT (commonly called 1x) mode for voice calls and that setting basically does just that. So if you're now on a data connection (which can be idle/dormant, but still "connected") and there is an incoming call, the phone suspends the EVDO connection, moves to 1x mode, pick up the call. After the call, the phone moves back to 1xEVDO mode, resuming the data session.

Also, Soft resets / hard resets / reflashing will NOT simply correct things out for you. These settings are in the non-volative memory (NVRAM) inside the radio/modem chip (for our phones, its Qualcomm MSM6500). Stuff like you're ESN, "phone number" and other details (like above) are stored on that NVRAM, so NOT clearing it is something that is desired, other wise you'd need to reprogram your phone everytime you did one of the above. Verizon (rightfully, for a change) would like to cut support costs down by avoiding something like this since most average joe will just callup verizon or visit the store (which costs verizon $$$) saying "I reset my phone and not I don't have a phone number!"

The only way to change NVRAM contents are by :-

1) \Windows\EPST.exe
2) ##778 (dial) (which really just runs the above \Windows\EPST.exe)
3) Over the air programming
4) QPST (Qualcomm tool to program the radio chip using a connected PC. FYI, this is licensed by Qualcomm and is not legally available outside)

Because you can break functionality which a hard reset/ re-flash can't restore, please be careful when editing things using ##778 or EPST. If you're using QPST, you're probably an engineer who knows what the heck you're doing! Generally most people don't need to touch settings here but if you must, note down exactly
-
what you're changing and
- the current values
so you can use EPST to re-write them in case you mess up. I also recommend changing just 1 or 2 items at a time to decrease your probability of failure.

Finally, I think you can't brick the phone since these are purely radio changes. But since this is a phone, the radio is important . If you somehow manage to brick your radio (windows can't find a radio),
1) reflash the radio image (the official verizon release has windows+radio images while most 'unofficial' WM5/WM6 releases are windows only that won't flash the radio. I think I've seen 'unofficial' radio-only releases too)
2) perform an over the air programming (forget the code to dial, google it)
3) Check if the radio works
4) if not, you need to play with EPST ... seperate story

Last edited by store2000; 09-14-2007 at 05:13 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache