PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint

Shaska is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguruusa
I just don't like the whole overclocking idea. It's hard on your equipment and can lead to premature failure. Underclocking is fine.

Spent the day playing with a 6800. Extra storage memory is nice, but a 6700 and the kitchen are equivalent. Button layout not so nice. Form factor very nice. Camera nice. Short stylus not so nice. Not worth the cost of upgrading, to me (although I would like to get rid of that 1/2" cut in my LCD ).

There's a sticky for Helmi's 3.5 1.02
http://www.ppcgeeks.com/helmi-offici...-07-t6719.html
Well on the topic of XcpuScalar, I can at least say a co-worker often has his XV6700 running at 600+mhz and it hasn't fried yet (I say yet because I think he is crazy running it that high) I personally never *let* my phone go above 520mhz... Although at 520mhz it starts to get warm, and when the co-worker has his all the way up, it starts to heat up pretty fast...
Old 07-23-2007, 11:03 AM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
It goes like this:

What's the #1 killer of electronics under normal conditions? heat.
What do you get when you overclock? heat.

You can think of it like those extended life light bulbs...a little less power/heat = longer lifespan. A little more power/heat = shorter lifespan. A lot more power/heat (like your coworker) = lot shorter lifespan. Since lifespans are measured in years, you'll probably toss your PPC in the trash before it breaks under moderate overclocking. If you're agressive like your co-worker, well, you might want to have insurance.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HitachiG1000, ppc6700,I730,Mogul,Touch,TP,TP2, EVO
Threadstarter

lefty11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlefty11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlefty11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
I would say number one killer is operator error or abuse. I have been overclocking ALL of my PC's and my ipaq for years and never fried one. The lifespan thing is almost a myth unlesss you absolutey go nuts on the OC I>E taking it to 700-1000. The item becoming obsolete or antiquated will generally happen before the OC will ever kill the device. Yes you generate more heat but they can usually withstand that long enouugh. Unless of course you are looking to open up an antique shop in the future LOL. It's a personal preference and I can understand both aspects, just that I usually am upgrading way before I have ever come close to frying anything. I have 4 PC's now junking up my office , plus parts that I have upgraded on all. Maybe one day they will build something that you can upgrade for a lifetime but they havent yet, Thanks for the info and I value everyone's opinion. I am still seeking a link to the most stable, easy to install ROM for verizon if someone could provide a link. Thanks again for all the info .
Old 07-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty11
I would say number one killer is operator error or abuse.
Agreed, but those aren't "normal use" - by definition.

Give Helmi's 1.02 kitchen a whirl. It's easy, and there's lots of help here if you get stuck.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HitachiG1000, ppc6700,I730,Mogul,Touch,TP,TP2, EVO
Threadstarter

lefty11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlefty11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlefty11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Thanks guys, I installed the BigJ 1.2 and it was fairly simple. There are a few tiny bugs but they have fixes , so that was pretty decent for a start . I like most of the additional stuff from what I had before but not so crazy about Super MArio. I guess the kitchen is the customization somewhat of the applications to one's taste ?? I did seem to have an issue with the mobile excel on the Big J 1.2 . Not sure if there is some incompatibility with versions or what, but it did not want to open a few excel attachments. Thanks again for helping me go in the right direction with minimal pain. I am curious what you folks think is the best Rom and Kitchen out there. I am a media/office type user with an even mix of both. I would also rather have one or two really good games instead of 30 small but cute ones. Any ideas or recommendations, please let me know..Thanks again.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache