PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Lurker

windows61 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking How to get your HTC ROM updated on Windows Vista

For [technical reasons] the Windows Vista(NT6) drivers are not immediately compatible with our beloved USPL and RUU processes.

But....there is a way to get round this and not affect any other functionality in Vista, by simply installing the XP USB Driver. Here's how.

You'll need the following:Here's what to do - and it's a bit lengthy but stick with it....
  1. Unpack the drivers you downloaded to their own folder and make a note of it's location.
  2. Put your device in bootloader. For Orbit/Artemis, hold the power/voice recorder buttons then hold the soft reset button for 5 seconds, then release the soft reset button only (continue to hold the other two). Soon enough you'll get the three-color screen. HTC Users press the two soft keys and press the power button
  3. Connect your device.
  4. Run WMDC.
  5. Open connection settings and UN-CHECK "Allow USB Connections".
  6. Exit WMDC.
  7. Return to the Vista Desktop. Go to Start Search and type "Services" and select this from the resultant list. Click "continue" to display it.
  8. In the newly-opened window, find "Windows Mobile-based connectivity" and "Windows Mobile 2003-based connectivity". For each of these, in the startup type column, set this to "Automatic" and click "Start" in the bar on the left. Once these settings are changed, close this window.
  9. Return to the Vista Desktop. Go to Start Search and type "Device Manager" and select this from the list. Click "continue" to display it.
  10. Click the "+" next to 'Mobile Devices', and double-click on "HTC USB Sync" - this is your device.
  11. You know can see the properties associated with the USB Connection. Go to the 'Driver' tab and click on "Update Driver".
  12. In the next window, select "Browse my Computer for Driver Software", then
  13. Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", then
  14. Click the "Have Disk" button, then
  15. Click the "Browse" button and navigate to the folder created way back in step 1.
  16. Vista x32 users should select 'wceusbsh.inf', while x64 users need to select select 'wceusbshx64.inf', then click "Open" and click "Next" to install the driver. [Nearly there now.]
  17. Once the installation has completed, invoke the Task Manager using Ctrl-Alt-Del and stop the WMDC process.
  18. Re-open WMDC.
  19. Open connection settings and CHECK "Allow USB Connections" again.
Now it should work =)

Note that this might also work for Windows 7 PRE-RELEASE VERSION Users (Beta 7000, RC7048 and soo)

Special Thanks to: XDASite for source and PDAPhoneJunkie for the help on my issue lol

~THE POWER OF Microsoft's Windows New Technology Kernel : NT6.1 [Windows 7]

Last edited by windows61; 03-08-2009 at 11:51 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:34 PM
My ROMS On My Site
Pocket PC: Vogue
Carrier: Verizon

PDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIP
Re: How to get your HTC ROM updated on Windows Vista

I'm glad you got the ROM working. I should have asked to make sure you had read my threads on Vista issues. There was even one with screenshots. Anyhow, glad it worked for you.

If you enjoy my work or I have helped you out, and you want to send some love my way... it's appreciated but not required.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Verizon XV-6700, HTC XV-6175
Carrier: Verizon

tarheelB&B is just getting started
Re: How to get your HTC ROM updated on Windows Vista

on a related note PPC kitchen works flawlessly on the windows 7 beta

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache