PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Apache (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How to get your HTC ROM updated on Windows Vista (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=60403)

windows61 03-08-2009 07:51 PM

How to get your HTC ROM updated on Windows Vista

For [technical reasons] the Windows Vista(NT6) drivers are not immediately compatible with our beloved USPL and RUU processes.

But....there is a way to get round this and not affect any other functionality in Vista, by simply installing the XP USB Driver. Here's how.

You'll need the following:Here's what to do - and it's a bit lengthy but stick with it....
  1. Unpack the drivers you downloaded to their own folder and make a note of it's location.
  2. Put your device in bootloader. For Orbit/Artemis, hold the power/voice recorder buttons then hold the soft reset button for 5 seconds, then release the soft reset button only (continue to hold the other two). Soon enough you'll get the three-color screen. HTC Users press the two soft keys and press the power button
  3. Connect your device.
  4. Run WMDC.
  5. Open connection settings and UN-CHECK "Allow USB Connections".
  6. Exit WMDC.
  7. Return to the Vista Desktop. Go to Start Search and type "Services" and select this from the resultant list. Click "continue" to display it.
  8. In the newly-opened window, find "Windows Mobile-based connectivity" and "Windows Mobile 2003-based connectivity". For each of these, in the startup type column, set this to "Automatic" and click "Start" in the bar on the left. Once these settings are changed, close this window.
  9. Return to the Vista Desktop. Go to Start Search and type "Device Manager" and select this from the list. Click "continue" to display it.
  10. Click the "+" next to 'Mobile Devices', and double-click on "HTC USB Sync" - this is your device.
  11. You know can see the properties associated with the USB Connection. Go to the 'Driver' tab and click on "Update Driver".
  12. In the next window, select "Browse my Computer for Driver Software", then
  13. Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", then
  14. Click the "Have Disk" button, then
  15. Click the "Browse" button and navigate to the folder created way back in step 1.
  16. Vista x32 users should select 'wceusbsh.inf', while x64 users need to select select 'wceusbshx64.inf', then click "Open" and click "Next" to install the driver. [Nearly there now.]
  17. Once the installation has completed, invoke the Task Manager using Ctrl-Alt-Del and stop the WMDC process.
  18. Re-open WMDC.
  19. Open connection settings and CHECK "Allow USB Connections" again.
Now it should work =)

Note that this might also work for Windows 7 PRE-RELEASE VERSION Users (Beta 7000, RC7048 and soo)

Special Thanks to: XDASite for source and PDAPhoneJunkie for the help on my issue lol

PDAPhoneJunkie 03-09-2009 02:34 PM

Re: How to get your HTC ROM updated on Windows Vista

I'm glad you got the ROM working. I should have asked to make sure you had read my threads on Vista issues. There was even one with screenshots. Anyhow, glad it worked for you.

tarheelB&B 03-10-2009 10:20 PM

Re: How to get your HTC ROM updated on Windows Vista

on a related note PPC kitchen works flawlessly on the windows 7 beta