PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Apache
Carrier: Alltel

Griminal is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
MP3 Playing Woes

Hey all. Long time voyeur, first time poster. I recently purchased a used VX6700 that has WM6.1 kitchen on it and I’ve been loving it so far. But something I took for granted, and only got around to testing recent, isn’t working out for me. When I play a VBR MP3 file, the system skips like nobody’s business. If I play a VBR MP3 off the 2GB storage card, it lags out and then plays some techno music that I don’t even have… I assuming it some sample music. A 192kbs MP3 seems to play as expected off the device or the card. I'm guessing that the build is new enough to have the updated SD drivers since WM6.1 is loaded.

Of course I’m new to all this and it’s a bit daunting trying to figure it out. The previous owner has been very helpful, but I think he’s lost in regards to my MP3 problem. I was going to rebuild the unit with OSBuilder, but WOW…. There are a lot of options and it scared me off. I like the HTC Home today screen with the weather and all. I wouldn’t touch a thing if I didn’t have an issue with my music. I’m not rightly sure what version of KS is loaded on this device.

Would someone be so kind as to give me a bit of insight? Google and the search button here at PPCGeeks have not been kind to me.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:16 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

bzxzlg is a n00b
Re: MP3 Playing Woes

Take a gander at this ..

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...182#post117182

So if you have a reg editor(like PHMregedit), here's the long and short from my notes ...
**** To resolve skipping audio ****
Need to change BlockTransferSize which specifies the maximum amount of blocks to send per bus transfer.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\SDCARD\ClientDrivers\Cl ***\SDMemory_Class]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\SDCARD\ClientDrivers\Cl ***\MMC_Class]
Change the value of BlockTransferSize in each class from the default of 64 (0x000040) to 32 (0x000020).

Hope this helps ...
Cheers

Last edited by bzxzlg; 01-29-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Griminal is a n00b

I really appreciate your input. I used Total Commander to update those registry entries, performed a soft reset, and still have the same issue. Core player gives me the same problem as well. I swear I can hear a second song trying to play at the same time with Core player. It's really strange. I guess I need to read up on how to install a clean system.

Any other suggestions?

***Update***
I did a hard reset. That didn't work either.... How do I tell what version of KS I have?

Last edited by Griminal; 01-30-2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:59 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

Is it just one album that wasnt ripped right or any VBR MP3? Have you tried a standard 192/2xx/320 MP3?

Well I just went back and re-read everything and see it is just the VBR you seem to be having issues with as you said the 192 plays fine. So again, is this something you ripped or downloaded? I use Pocket Player to play all my music. You can try that also to see if it works. But it sounds like to me you already know what the issue is. You just need to stay away from VBR and go with Constant MP3s

[EDIT] Dont be scared to do the Kitchen. It looks indimidating at first as it is new to you and a lot of options as you put it. But once you get used to it you will do it several times for fun.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Griminal is a n00b

I used ActiveSync to copy the MP3s to the storage card and they seem to play fine. It's slow, but works.

I'm scared of Kitchen. I don't know what version of phone I have or if I selected the right ROMs in Updater. I'll keep reading but it's very intimidating.

Thanks for the helpful tips.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:40 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

Keep looking around and you might also find several tweaks to have the device read the card faster and not put the card to sleep which also helps.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache