PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2007, 09:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Apache
Carrier: Sprint

kevdawg is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to kevdawg Send a message via MSN to kevdawg Send a message via Yahoo to kevdawg Send a message via Skype™ to kevdawg
Data connection wont stop connecting!

Back in the good ol days before i set up my gmail to sync every 15 minutes with my phone, it use to only connect when needed. Now i can't stop it from grabbing the data connection and is causing my battery to drain 3x-4x faster. anyone know why my phone is doing this?
Old 06-14-2007, 09:58 AM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
checking email every 15 minutes could do it.

If you really need email that instantly, you could try one of the push-email providers.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:06 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

p5yph3r is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj
checking email every 15 minutes could do it.

If you really need email that instantly, you could try one of the push-email providers.
He's right. That is definitely the cause. Here's a solution that worked for me, if you have the stomach for editing your registry. I used total commander.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/arch.../t-305332.html

Specifically, the post on that page that tells you to create a registry key named SuspendResume...that will force your data connection to drop after an idle time that you specify. This will help, but your battery life will still be worse than before Gmail and auto-check.

Or, just use Emoze
Old 06-14-2007, 11:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Apache
Threadstarter

kevdawg is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to kevdawg Send a message via MSN to kevdawg Send a message via Yahoo to kevdawg Send a message via Skype™ to kevdawg
My problem is that stopped having my phone check for the mail every 15 minutes and it is STILL connecting to the internet no matter what. I think I will be doing a hard reset soon anyways. I will give the reg hack a try but there must be a reason why when i open the com manager and close the data connection it immediately reconnects.

It makes me mad that someone i know who has a treo gets her email all the time and doesn't have the same issues :(. I could never give up the windows mobile platform though.

I will try emoze. Thanks. Do you use it/like it?
Old 06-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

p5yph3r is a n00b
One problem I had with my old set up with Gmail (just like yours) is that when I had the same data problem you're having, I just deleted the Gmail account, or at least I thought I did. I deleted it, soft reset, then when it powered back up, the problem was still happening. I checked and found that the Gmail account was still there. It took about 8 tries before the Gmail account finally deleted for good. That's one other thing I'd check before trying anything else. Especially if you did the autoconfigure when you set the Gmail account up.

I was using Emoze, and I liked it, but I've since switched to mail2web. They're pretty much the same, except less middleman software with mail2web, and it's an actual Exchange server, so it works more seamlessly with an Apache.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon (via Alltel takeover)

answerman is a n00b
Re: Data connection wont stop connecting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdawg
Back in the good ol days before i set up my gmail to sync every 15 minutes with my phone, it use to only connect when needed. Now i can't stop it from grabbing the data connection and is causing my battery to drain 3x-4x faster. anyone know why my phone is doing this?
The "why" could be a number of things, but as I understand it it shouldn't affect your battery life that much.

An INACTIVE data connection (connected, but not actively doing anything) does not draw much battery at all. I use acbPowerMeter (it's in the kitchen, thanks Colonel and Helmi!) to monitor power use, and when my phone is connected to EvDO but not active it draws about 75mA. When I disconnect EvDO, it drops down to about 73mA. So, not much difference there.

I have my 6700 set to check 3 mail accounts via IMAP every 10 minutes. When it is checking my mail (ACTIVE) it jumps up to something like 300mA. As soon as it finishes its check, and the data connection goes back to inactive (but still connected), the power draw drops back down. And I get close to two days of battery use with 3.5 (I do have a 2400mAH battery, so that makes a difference).

Now, if your phone is reconnecting to data and DOING something with it (an ACTIVE connection), then the problem is most likely with a specific program that is connecting to the Internet for some reason. That is something you will have to hunt down.

For what it's worth, I wish someone would come up with a reliable mail transport that supports IMAP IDLE (the server tells the phone when there is new mail, instead of the phone having to check). The ones that are out there now, like FlexMail, don't do a very good job. Supposedly this was something that was going to go into WM6 Messaging, but now it appears that it ain't going to happen.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache