View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 04:54 PM
answerman
PPCGeeks Regular

answerman is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Data connection wont stop connecting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdawg
Back in the good ol days before i set up my gmail to sync every 15 minutes with my phone, it use to only connect when needed. Now i can't stop it from grabbing the data connection and is causing my battery to drain 3x-4x faster. anyone know why my phone is doing this?
The "why" could be a number of things, but as I understand it it shouldn't affect your battery life that much.

An INACTIVE data connection (connected, but not actively doing anything) does not draw much battery at all. I use acbPowerMeter (it's in the kitchen, thanks Colonel and Helmi!) to monitor power use, and when my phone is connected to EvDO but not active it draws about 75mA. When I disconnect EvDO, it drops down to about 73mA. So, not much difference there.

I have my 6700 set to check 3 mail accounts via IMAP every 10 minutes. When it is checking my mail (ACTIVE) it jumps up to something like 300mA. As soon as it finishes its check, and the data connection goes back to inactive (but still connected), the power draw drops back down. And I get close to two days of battery use with 3.5 (I do have a 2400mAH battery, so that makes a difference).

Now, if your phone is reconnecting to data and DOING something with it (an ACTIVE connection), then the problem is most likely with a specific program that is connecting to the Internet for some reason. That is something you will have to hunt down.

For what it's worth, I wish someone would come up with a reliable mail transport that supports IMAP IDLE (the server tells the phone when there is new mail, instead of the phone having to check). The ones that are out there now, like FlexMail, don't do a very good job. Supposedly this was something that was going to go into WM6 Messaging, but now it appears that it ain't going to happen.