PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2008, 05:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

Karmashock is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
SMS from PC to many phones?

I'm looking for software/drivers that will let me send SMS messages from my computer to a lot of employees. I was thinking of using my 6700 to send the messages or another phone but I'm having a hard time finding the drivers let alone the software for this...

If I use the phone, what I want to do is link the phone to the PC... and have the PC automate certain messages.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 09-11-2008, 11:26 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

imnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIP
Re: SMS from PC to many phones?

Most cell networks allow you to send "emails" to phones as a text. So you could send out the message that way. Not sure what format the To: address would be in though. With Verizon it's <number>@vtext.com. You want to make sure the email is in plain text and not over the character limit as well.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Karmashock is a n00b

That is PERFECT! Thank you!

Do you know if it allows two way message sending or if it only goes one way? I don't seem to replies to my email account...

This is not required for my purposes but it would be nice.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:25 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

imnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIP

I know that I've texted back and forth to an email before. What you could do is change your email address in Outlook or whatever you're sending the message from to the same/similar format with your phone number. Then, when you send it out, it puts that as the "from" field and people should be able to reply to your phone via text rather than to your email account.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Karmashock is a n00b

for the reply to be of any use it has to be right back to email.

The only people that will be looking at the phones will be field agents. At the main office we'll only be checking email and phone "calls" made to the main phone system. We can't have people checking cellphones "in" the main office for replies. It's too hard to audit.

Anyway, do you know if there is a limit to how many of these thing we can send out? Because we have about 100 field agents at any given time that need to get messages sent to them. Currently we are emailing and faxing everything to them. We have a whole department that does little else but coordinate the main office/database with the agents. This will probably be higher volume then most users.

I wouldn't be surprised if we sent about 50 SMS messages a day like this... perhaps more because of the message size limitations forcing us to break a longer message up into chunks.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Nexus 5x
Carrier: Republic Wireless

jabu knows their stuffjabu knows their stuffjabu knows their stuffjabu knows their stuffjabu knows their stuffjabu knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jabu Send a message via MSN to jabu Send a message via Yahoo to jabu Send a message via Skype™ to jabu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_gateway

I use that list to email to sms when I forget to pay my phonebill. I leave my WiFi on and check my email like crazy. Now if only you could force outlook to check every 1 min. instead of every 5.
Need your Apache OEM ROM? Get it here!
========================================

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache