PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2008, 07:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Apache
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

digit is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How To: Using your 6700 as a USB modem for your computer.

Doesn't the Internet Sharing app in WM6 make the dialer and such obsolete? As long as the PC you're connecting has ActiveSync, all you have to do is fire up Internet Sharing and it picks up the phone as a LAN connection--no dialing or driver installed involved.

In Soviet Russia, the ROM flashes you!

Thanks, Helmi_c, and the rest of PPCGeeks--you rock!
Old 04-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

pauldow is a n00b

wmwifirouter is something that turns your wi-fi enabled phone into a wireless router. It seems like a nice solution, although I'd keep the phone on the charger while running it. I would think it's making that little phone work quite hard.

The magic internet search shows you can get it at:
http://www.wmwifirouter.com

It looks like it recently changed to a commercial product. They have a download trial, but I don't see on their site what the restrictions are. It's not priced too bad at 15 Euros. (So what's that...about $225 with the current exchange rate? )There are still some sites that have the beta freeware version available.

Internet connection sharing does look like it makes the dialer obsolete. I really haven't used my smartphone (HTC Apache with the WM6 upgrade) to anywhere near it's full potential. I just turned sharing on, and my PC found a Remote NDIS Based Internet Sharing Device. Unfortunately I live at a point far from 3 Sprint towers, so I'm only getting 39 kbps 1X speed. I'll be taking it on a trip tomorrow to an area with the $10/day wi-fi access, so this should help a lot.

Thanks for the information everyone.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Alltel PPC-6700, Blackberry 8830 WE
Carrier: Alltel (Because they RULE)

Psxmoe is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to Psxmoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldow View Post
wmwifirouter is something that turns your wi-fi enabled phone into a wireless router. It seems like a nice solution, although I'd keep the phone on the charger while running it. I would think it's making that little phone work quite hard.

The magic internet search shows you can get it at:
http://www.wmwifirouter.com

It looks like it recently changed to a commercial product. They have a download trial, but I don't see on their site what the restrictions are. It's not priced too bad at 15 Euros. (So what's that...about $225 with the current exchange rate? )There are still some sites that have the beta freeware version available.

Internet connection sharing does look like it makes the dialer obsolete. I really haven't used my smartphone (HTC Apache with the WM6 upgrade) to anywhere near it's full potential. I just turned sharing on, and my PC found a Remote NDIS Based Internet Sharing Device. Unfortunately I live at a point far from 3 Sprint towers, so I'm only getting 39 kbps 1X speed. I'll be taking it on a trip tomorrow to an area with the $10/day wi-fi access, so this should help a lot.

Thanks for the information everyone.
Ha Ha i like the exchange rate comment. lol

Honestly i have no use for it. I mean whats to point? other than you can get a wifi card for your laptop? I could understand if you had a home computer and your lucky to find free wifi.

(Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile and At&T SUCK!) Alltel RULES!!!!!
Old 04-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

pauldow is a n00b

I got this configuration using the Internet Sharing set up while I was at the Sun-N-Fun airshow in Lakeland, FL last week. They have very good signal coverage at the event there. I sent to speedtest.net, and it showed me getting 916 kbps down and 113 kbps up.

I don't know if that's completely accurate, but browsing speed was very good. That Spring SERO plan with data pays off again. I just wish I had a good signal at home. The one of their antenna sites is at a nearby airport on a hotel that is only 5 stories tall. Another is on a good sized hill, but I have high voltage power lines between us that seems to block the signal. I wonder if there's some cheap repeater that would be able to be put in the house?
Old 04-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6700

Dema is a n00b

I have my 6700 working as a USB modem when I log in as an admin on my XP Pro. The issue is when I log in as a standard user account (not admin or power user) there is no entry in the modem field of the dialer.

I have tried to change the permissions on all the keys in the registry that pertain to HTC or Conexant to allow all users full control and still no luck.

Is there a way to run this as a standard user w/o admin rights? If not, how can I get the I.C.S. to work as I have tried and it will not acquire an IP address?

Thanks, for any assistance in this.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:39 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Droid Incredible
Carrier: Verizon

pozer69 is a n00b

I need some help please. I was running Rob Meyers WM 6.0 and I just cooked my first rom ever (6.1) but now I can't connect via Internet Sharing. Is there any files/settings that I have to change or update. It was working before the update.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:34 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Droid Incredible
Carrier: Verizon

pozer69 is a n00b
Talking Re: How To: Using your 6700 as a USB modem for your computer.

Disregard my last post. got it working after numerous soft reboots and pc reboots.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Lurker

Dema is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dema View Post
I have my 6700 working as a USB modem when I log in as an admin on my XP Pro. The issue is when I log in as a standard user account (not admin or power user) there is no entry in the modem field of the dialer.

I have tried to change the permissions on all the keys in the registry that pertain to HTC or Conexant to allow all users full control and still no luck.

Is there a way to run this as a standard user w/o admin rights? If not, how can I get the I.C.S. to work as I have tried and it will not acquire an IP address?

Thanks, for any assistance in this.
I am following up on this post. Can someone please assist me in resolving this issue?

Thank you in advance for any assistance!
Old 04-22-2008, 03:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Apache
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

digit is a n00b

There should be an entry in Group Policy editor to allow non-admin users to dial-up to the Internet--look for that.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Lurker

Dema is a n00b

Digit,

Thanks for the quick responce.

My problem is that the Group Policy is created and maintained by our corporate IT group and I can't modify it.
However, using another dial up connection, the standard user can connect to the internet. This leads me to belive that the dial up is not restricted by the GPO, but possibly by some other security setting. Or is it a reg edit type of fix?

Thanks again.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache