PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2006, 01:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC-6700
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Rufus is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to Rufus
How To: Using your 6700 as a USB modem for your computer.

So you have this killer phone with this killer connection speed to the internet using EVDO but you have to navigate all your favorite sites using the small screen. Don't get me wrong, I love the screen on the 6700, but there are web-sites I avoid going to when I am on my phone. WellI no longer need to worry about such a thing.

FYI: I learned this from another guy I was talking to about setting this up and there is a document in the accompanying zip file that he wrote up including screenshots with each step.

Requirements:
1. Before setup an CDMA USB Modem you must verify that you have two files:
?CDMA USB Modem.INF? (The inf contained in the zip file works as well "CDMA1X_USBMDM.INF)
?CDMA USB Modem Dialer.exe?

2. You MUST disable Active Sync! (Ctrl+Shift+Esc --> Processes Tab --> End the processes beginning with wce*)

Installation and Usage

1. On Windows Mobile: Tap Start->Programs->Wireless Modem
2. Select ?USB? as the connection type, and then press the ?Start? button.
3. Connect your Windows Mobile with Desktop PC by USB cable/cradle.
4. On Desktop PC, new hardware will be found. Select ?No, not this time? and press ?Next?
5. Select ?Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)? and press ?Next?
6. Press ?Browser? to specific the folder which contain the ?CDMA USB Modem.INF?, and then press ?Next?
7. Press ?Continue Anyway?
8. Press ?Finish? to complete ?CDMA USB Modem? driver installation.
9. After installation you have a new USB Modem called ?CDMA USB Modem? in Control Panel->Phone and Modem Options
10. Run the application ?CDMA USB Modem Dialer.exe? and then press ?Dial? to make the data connection leaving the user name and password blank.

Once it's all installed here are the shortened steps to get the modem up:

1. On Windows Mobile: Tap Start->Programs->Wireless Modem
2. Select your connection type, and then press ?Start? button
3. Connect your Windows Mobile with Desktop PC by USB cable/cradle
4. Open the application ?CDMA USB Modem Dialer.exe?
5. Then press ?Dial?

If this does not work for you, please feel free to contact me.

Hope this is useul for some of you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip cdma_usb_modem_624.zip (180.9 KB, 2175 views) Click for barcode!

.... Oh yeah, and check out my blog!
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:32 AM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max
Carrier: Sprint

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake
Very nice write up, I will have to add the bluetooth tutorial real soon!
Old 05-30-2006, 02:59 AM
Charles
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

cac9478 is keeping up the good workcac9478 is keeping up the good work
Just for your info!!! You do not need to enter a username or password you can just leave it blank.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cac9478
Just for your info!!! You do not need to enter a username or password you can just leave it blank.
Thanks for updating, that is good to know.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:38 AM
Founder & Owner

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
I was wondering because I know when I tether via bluetooth I dont have to enter any info. Edited the first post to reflect no username or password.
~Mike
Old 05-30-2006, 08:38 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch pro

wingzero is a n00b
Very detailed write-up. Thanks Rufus. This is a must have for every ppc users, IMHO.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:02 PM
Charles
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

cac9478 is keeping up the good workcac9478 is keeping up the good work
Now I wonder how you do it through IRDA. Nice write up by the way the speeds are so much faster on usb then bluetooth.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I have yet to perform any speed tests... but yeah, it's quick. Windows was reporting a connection speed of 230 kbps, but I know that this rarely reflects what your actual speed is. I will run some tests soon and report back.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:55 PM
Founder & Owner

I understand bluetooth is slow, but I don't live in an evdo area, so bluetoothing the 1x connection vs usb are around the same speeds.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:49 PM
The Voice of Reason
Pocket PC: PPC 6700/Touch Diamond/Touch Pro

Big D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
WOW

This is the best thing ever. I have wondered if this was possible. I am using it right know. Great right up follow the instructions and it worked the first try.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache