PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PPC6875 WM6.5
Carrier: Alltel

lennysh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlennysh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlennysh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlennysh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlennysh is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to lennysh Send a message via AIM to lennysh Send a message via MSN to lennysh Send a message via Yahoo to lennysh Send a message via Skype™ to lennysh
Quote:
Originally Posted by roro View Post
^does that regedit still use up data? in other words, does it make you completely hidden from the network allowing free tethering even on a pay-as-you-go plan?
Depends on how your service provider charge's you for tethering. If the charge you because of your device using more than one NAI like it's set up to do, then this would prevent them from knowing about you using the tether.

But if they just see a large amount of data all of a sudden being transmitted, then the answer is no. There would be no way to prevent them from seeing that.

If that value is anything other than "0", I promise it will not do any harm to change it to "0". And just wait for the bill to see if it worked...

Just don't over do it until you know for sure, I am not to blame for a large phone bill due to tethering charges.

Why can't every service provider be like Alltel, and just not charge you regardless???

Verizon's (CDMA) PPC-6875 (Rhodium_W/Touch Pro2) with WM6.5

Chat Rooms:
EliteTeam: Java or IRC Client
HTCGeeks: Java or IRC Client
PPCGeeks: Java or IRC Client

Click here to donate to the CDMA Raphael Project Team
Old 09-27-2007, 08:00 PM
Lurker

roro is a n00b
i think my question may have been understood. i have verizon btw..

there is a data plan that you pay something like ~$50 for unlimited data. i know that there is a separate $15 plan that you have to pay to use tethering. i do know that one point of the regedit is to avoid the $15 since it will be indistinguishable from normal data usage.

my question is for someone like me with no data plan at all (other than a pay-as-you-go per kb), does doing the hack allow you to fly completely under the radar or will you still be charged for the data usage at the per kb rate?
Old 09-28-2007, 06:04 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PPC6875 WM6.5
Carrier: Alltel

lennysh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlennysh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlennysh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlennysh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlennysh is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to lennysh Send a message via AIM to lennysh Send a message via MSN to lennysh Send a message via Yahoo to lennysh Send a message via Skype™ to lennysh
Quote:
Originally Posted by roro View Post
i think my question may have been understood. i have verizon btw..

there is a data plan that you pay something like ~$50 for unlimited data. i know that there is a separate $15 plan that you have to pay to use tethering. i do know that one point of the regedit is to avoid the $15 since it will be indistinguishable from normal data usage.

my question is for someone like me with no data plan at all (other than a pay-as-you-go per kb), does doing the hack allow you to fly completely under the radar or will you still be charged for the data usage at the per kb rate?
There is no way to hide the data usage. They will alway's be able to see that. The only thing that might help, is whether or not they use the built in reporting feature that report's a tether, or the sudden jump in data usage to tell you are tethering.. Not sure what VZW does..
Old 09-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

monstah is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennysh View Post
I know on Alltel, I use a PRL from their data cards that allow me to use sprint evdo. But I have never been charged for tethering, so not sure if that help's you any. As far as I know, Alltel does not charge for tethering..
I think a lot of us SPRINT users wish they wouldn't charge for this service but un4tunately they do. BUT i did find that program that allows you to use the EVDO service while tethering but you use a verizon access code. I wasn't sure if it was working so i had to wait until my bill came out (i gave it 2 months just to make sure) and i have NO CHARGES for the HUGE amount of data that i have been using. so i guess this code (i use the WMODEM but a verizon access code) to get online through tethering/wmodem works!!!
Old 09-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

monstah is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennysh View Post
There is a registry setting that disable's the device telling the server that you are tethered if you use Wireless Modem. If sprint uses that method to know you are tethered, then you can disable it, but if they use the amount of data being used, then I can't help you there...

Change the following registry entry to:

[HKLM\Software\OEM\WModem]
"Multi-NAI"="0"
i guess you pretty much answered my question above about tethering and being charged so i guess i just want clarification. if i am using tethering (WM6 wmodem) and i have been doing so for some time w/o being charged, would it be wise to change my registry? or should i just wait and if i ever get charged (hopefully that won't be the case) then change my registry as u instructed above? i know it seems redundant but i figured i might as well just ask... (yea, i am fairly a noob)
Old 09-29-2007, 09:00 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6700 Apache

bunnymud is a n00b
Has anyone tried this with Vista?

That's what I'm running and I cannot get this to work. Vista didn't ask me some of the steps listed in the "How to" guide
Old 11-06-2007, 10:30 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch PRO
Carrier: Verizon

v8s10chevy is a n00b
Hello all from this newbie

Hello everyone! I just found this site and joined. I have been trying to get online through my phone but am unable to. I have a verizon xv-6700 with just a phone plan, no data plan as of yet. I want to see how fast this is once I get it to work, so that I may ditch my home DSL service.

So far I am able to get as far as launching the program that asks for user name pass word, etc But it says at the bottom no usb modem and the dial button is greyed out. When I check in the control panel under phones and modems I see it listed there but just cant connect! Do I have to have a data plan setup on the phone (never had one) so there is no info in the phone for it to connect with.

Thank you for all your help, and this great site!
Old 11-07-2007, 12:59 AM
N00b

v8s10chevy is a n00b
TTT =D>

Anyone? Would like to get this working.
Thanks
Old 11-07-2007, 08:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

cjbreisch is just getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8s10chevy View Post
Hello everyone! I just found this site and joined. I have been trying to get online through my phone but am unable to. I have a verizon xv-6700 with just a phone plan, no data plan as of yet. I want to see how fast this is once I get it to work, so that I may ditch my home DSL service.

So far I am able to get as far as launching the program that asks for user name pass word, etc But it says at the bottom no usb modem and the dial button is greyed out. When I check in the control panel under phones and modems I see it listed there but just cant connect! Do I have to have a data plan setup on the phone (never had one) so there is no info in the phone for it to connect with.

Thank you for all your help, and this great site!
I believe you're going to want some sort of data plan. I don't know about Verizon...it's possible they might have some really expensive pay-as-you-go data plan, but I doubt it.

I would also recommend moving to an AKU 3.5 ROM (preferably a true WM6 ROM using either the new kitchen or RobMayer's Clean, NoJunk ROM (based on helmi_c's work)), as you get the "Internet Sharing" app, which is much easier to use than the old wireless modem app. It's easier to start up, and easier to work with your computer, as when you use it, your computer just sees the phone as a new network adapter, rather than a dial-up modem that must be started up.

There are others here that know quite a bit more than me, though. If someone else posts something in disagreement with what I just said, their answer is most likely more correct than mine.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:49 PM
N00b

v8s10chevy is a n00b
Thanks for the reply, So far I got the winmodem program to work and my xp laptop to see and connect to the phone, but when I go to connect I get error messages!
In my ppc phone settings I switch from My work network (wifi) to verizon wireless. In the verizon wireless there is no username or password stored (when I click edit), I guess I need that info to get it to connect, I cant even get my pie to work when I switch over to the verizon wireless connection.
Any ideas on this? and yes I do have the pay as you go plan to see if its worth having the unlimited plan
Thanks

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache