PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2007, 05:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro - CDMA/Raphael
Carrier: Sprint

psychotic is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to psychotic
I'll give that a try soon, thanks
Old 03-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Mogul

ihatespam is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to ihatespam
Quote:
Originally Posted by verizonguy
rndis/serial is broken in these versions to an extent, but you can get around it by downloading this exe to your phone or storage card and running it from your device.
Thanks verizonguy for the contribution.

However, the app does not seem to do its intended purpose. I run the app and select serial. Ok. I rerun the app to double check the settings took. They did. Good! I dock my 6700 and get the unknown device error. I undock and redock a few times. Same issue. I then soft reset the device and run the app to double check the settings. it's back on RDNIS.

I change it back to Serial. Then dock the device and get the unknown device error again. So, then ensures a perpetual undock, dock, soft reset, serial setting effort without relief.

Thanks anyway verizonguy for your contribution! One of these days, hopefully, this issue will be fixed.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

verizonguy is becoming a great contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatespam
Quote:
Originally Posted by verizonguy
rndis/serial is broken in these versions to an extent, but you can get around it by downloading this exe to your phone or storage card and running it from your device.
Thanks verizonguy for the contribution.

However, the app does not seem to do its intended purpose. I run the app and select serial. Ok. I rerun the app to double check the settings took. They did. Good! I dock my 6700 and get the unknown device error. I undock and redock a few times. Same issue. I then soft reset the device and run the app to double check the settings. it's back on RDNIS.

I change it back to Serial. Then dock the device and get the unknown device error again. So, then ensures a perpetual undock, dock, soft reset, serial setting effort without relief.

Thanks anyway verizonguy for your contribution! One of these days, hopefully, this issue will be fixed.
My guess is that you're soft resetting using a stylus. Never do that. Use an application to reset it. You can download one for free easily.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:54 PM
Lurker

diableri is a n00b
I hate to derail, but after searching around the forum and HoFo I wasn't able to find out why a stylus reset is bad and a program reseter is ok. I don't doubt you at all but I am curious. Why should we not use a stylus to reset?
Old 03-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
Well I think it's not as big a problem as it's made out to be. When WM switched to persistent storage for WM5, MS needed ways to increase the speed of the device (since flash memory is a lot slower than RAM). One of those ways was to make registry changes in RAM and periodically flush them to the flash memory.

So the theory is, if you make a registry change and immediately soft reset, those changes are still in RAM and never made it to the flash and are therefore lost (sort of the same reason why it's not advisable to unplug your PC while it's on). Using a soft reset programatically (i.e. via a software app) will allow for those changes to be written to flash first, because the device knows that it's going to be soft reset (sort of like choosing "Shut Down" on a Windows PC).

The other way around the problem is to suspend the device (power button) first before soft resetting, which also causes any reg entries still existing in memory to get written to flash.

That said, I've never had a problem even when I didn't do those things. I've even tested it using a reg editor... make an entry then close the app and soft reset with the stylus--the entry was always there after the reset so I think this is more of a "best practice" kind of thing.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Lurker

diableri is a n00b
Thanks for the easy to understand answer! I'm digging around now looking for a resetting program with a tiny footprint.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache