PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 01:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

BigDinCA is keeping up the good workBigDinCA is keeping up the good workBigDinCA is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: beach ball of death keeps showing up - please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlevin77 View Post
I haven't yet. I flashed it yesterday and have spent the last 12 hours customizing everything. I wish I kept a more careful track of what I had done when this first appeared. I think before I hard-reset, I'll start pulling off software one by one to see if I can figure out what's causing it.

Mike
I've flashed the 5060 several times and always do the hard reset after the flash is done. I haven't had a problem with anything yet. I wait to do my personal customizations until after the hard reset because a lot of the customizations get reset. It also depends on what you cooked with the ROM. Everytime I flash I note what my program memory usage is so I can tweak things and I only cook what I really use to save as much program memory as possible. Right now I have 17.22MB free. I have noticed that if you cook a lot of SPB apps with your ROM it uses a ton of program memory (sometimes 1MB per app.). The other thing I notice is that ActiveSync is always running, even when you haven't connected to your PC. I use the dotFred task manager and close it. That usually frees up a little more memory as well.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Incredible
Carrier: Verizon

gambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Oh, another thing. After the flash, it asks if you want to run the carrier customizations. You are NOT supposed to do that. That can lead to problems. Yeah, good practice is the hard reset after flash. Then watch for a couple of days, customize, watch for a couple of days, etc. It just takes time.

Last edited by gambatte; 04-21-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Imagio
Threadstarter

mlevin77 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedahoe View Post
The only other issue is he accidentally fubar'ed the ROM when he cooked it and he needs to hard reset and re-cook.
quite possible. I can re-cook and try again; is there anything that I should try including/excluding? I'm thinking if I cook it exactly the same way, it'll have the same problem. Any idea what I should do differently?

Mike
Old 04-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker

gambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Try not to use the OEMizer. I never did. Don't try to customize the splash screen with home made pictures. Don't try to do anything fancy.

Make sure all your apps are suitable for WM6. I think you were running WM5 AKU3.5 b4....
Old 04-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinCA View Post
and I only cook what I really use to save as much program memory as possible. Right now I have 17.22MB free. I have noticed that if you cook a lot of SPB apps with your ROM it uses a ton of program memory (sometimes 1MB per app.).
I read the other day that there is a special "partition" on the ROM that this flashed kitchen stuff goes to. You can't delete or upgrade that part of the ROM. The size is allocated according to bootloader version, 1.XX is bigger and 2.XX is smaller. You can't use this space for anything else (e.g. other post-flash loaded programs) so you can make it as big as will fit with the cooked apps. I've always thought like you did, that if I was conservative with the ROM, I could load alot more things or the device would be more stable.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache