PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008, 11:07 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

bzxzlg is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Flight mode issue?

My phone has been going into a "zombie" state now for a couple of weeks... My first suspicion was a cell in the battery going bad, so I want to test it with a multimeter ... Need to know which is the + and - ... Anyone have the schematic/FM for the Power/battery/phone?

Though I'm sure the battery is fine, I'm trying to eliminate reasons for the "zombie" state. Also, the only way to get the phone back on is to remove the battery as niether a soft reset with the stylus nor pressing the power button seem to have affect.

Last bit of info noticed. Because I use the alarms on the phone as my alarm clock, I put the phone into "Flight Mode" over night - would hate to get woke up by an errant e-mail/text message - and this appers to be the only time "zombie" happens ... As a matter of fact, testing this morning revealed that this is the only time the phone goes into "zombie" and it's within minutes of being rebooted (tried it three times). As soon as I get the phone out of flight mode, everything works like a champ.

To make this worse, it doesn't seem to be consistant. By that I mean that the phone never zombies when plugged into power, only on battery which is why I want to test the battery. But even that statement isn't 100% because last night for example: I woke up briefly around 3a - probably because my mind told me to test the phone - I powered it on, noticed light, and powered it off ... Thought it was OK ... But 1-1/2 hrs later, it was zombied ...

Thoughts?

Here's the phone paticulars ... H/W=2; M=12; U=4; P SMZ-40305; R 1.43.00; D 3.60.70 WWE; I've attached the selections for the BuildOS ...

Thanks!

Last edited by bzxzlg; 02-13-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:57 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe
So let me get this straight, even when the phone is in 'zombie' mode, a soft reset with the stylus will not reboot the phone right?

You have concluded yourself that you putting the phone in flight mode (to keep your alarm but not notify you on anything else) is causing the issue and by NOT putting your phone in flight mode overnight you do not get this issue.

My suggestion (coming short of telling you to reflash and start new) is to tell you to try a freeware app for alarms, stay out of flight mode, or go buy an alarm clock if you want to have something wake you up in the morning.

Last edited by weedahoe; 02-13-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:38 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

bzxzlg is a n00b
OK ... So maybe I'm a bit abnormal in how I utilise my phone, but it's a tool that for the most part works for me and is quite solid - so work with me ...

In the posts I've read/found today, some folks seem to think this zombie issue may be tied to activesync... If that is the case, then perhaps because I'm in "flight mode" when there is a sync attempt to my exchange server, it locks up ... That'd be interesting to check ...

As for my batteries, they all tested fine ... I have learned though that I may just need bi-focals now ... There were a + and - labeled on the battery ... Just really needed to adjust my view-point to see them ...
Old 02-14-2008, 09:11 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe
No, i use my phone as an alarm sometime as well and there is nothing wrong with doing that. What I am implying is that sometimes when we hack and mod our devices and load with 3rd party software, other minute side effects can occur. If you think AS is causing the issue then close it out by (in XP) going to your task manager and closing wcescomm.exe and leaving it in the cradle. Another way would be to not leave it connected to the PC but rather to a wall charger. If your phone no longer has those same issues with you still using it in the same manner then you know what your issues is/was.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:20 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

bzxzlg is a n00b
G-r-e-a-t ...

Had a night of no zombie .... System was on battery not plugged in ... Guess this means it's time to go back to the drawing board and try to figure out what program interactions may be causing this - a potential buffer overflow? Of course, I have tomorrow to look forward to; what with the mutiple reminders on each alarm (not just a WM6 feature) and all

Thanks for the thoughts ... I'll put up another post if I think I come across something.

Cheers

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache