PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2007, 12:54 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Verizon HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

Scoilt is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
No audio after using wired headset...

I have a Sprint VX6700 that has worked fine forever. I updated my ROM from WM5 to WM6 (thanks to these forums) and still had no issues.
Today, I borrowed my wife's wire headset, plugged it into my phone, made a few calls. All worked fine. Unplugged the headset. Got a call and there was silence... Plugged the headset back in and things were fine again (via the headset). Without the headset there is no audio out of the phone (via the regualr to you ear speaker or wwith the speakerphone). This goes with calls, videos, music, etc. Other callers cannot hear me and I cannot hear them. Since I'm at work without the headset, I tried to figure this out without any luck. I then did reset the phone (after backing up my contacts, etc.) and there is still no audio via the speakers on/in the phone. Any ideas here?

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:05 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6700

TMB_XV6700 is just getting started
Scoilt,
These are symptoms of your jack being fouled (or broken) so that your phone thinks the corded headset is always plugged in. I think a search will turn up various other posters' methods of cleaning it out. Not remembering those methods, I would try vacuuming and canned air, then maybe (sparingly) some contact cleaner. Please post back with experience. Good luck, tmb
Old 11-14-2007, 10:07 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe
Usually, from what I have read here, there is something in the ear jack that gets shorted or jammed or damaged in some way that the phone still thinks there is a headset plugged in and thus the reason for no audio. Do a search and you will find this.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Verizon HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

Scoilt is a n00b
Thanks for the quick replies. Yeah, I hadn't thought of it being a hardware issue until this morning. I'll try the suggested methods of cleaning when I get home from work and let you know if it works.

Thanks again.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

jspenc3 is just getting started
I can't say why, but this happened to me too a few days after upgrading to the new WM6 kitchen. I was on the phone with a wired headset and when I disconnected it I lost all audio. I rebooted several times (sometimes it didn't even finish rebooting), but it never came back. My solution was to plug the headset back in and make another call. Once I did and hung up, then removed the headset again it started working with speakerphone/handset again. Very strange.

I don't know if I buy the "its the hardware" responce since it never did this in 1.5 years, but who knows...it hasn't happened again (but I haven't unplugged the headset again while on a call either since then).
Old 11-15-2007, 02:13 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6700, Asus A639

glitch is a n00b
I have had the same issue. The headphone jack on the 6700 is fairly cheaply made. There are contacts on 3 sides, one on the top, one on the right and 2 on the left. One of the contacts on the left is pushed into another when the headphone plug is inserted. This causes it to bypass the onboard speaker & mic. The left side contact is simply a thin plate sticking up from the solder point on the board which is then touched by another plate inside the jack that contacts the headphone plug. The distance between these two contacts is very, very small. If something conductive was to get inside there it would think there was always a headphone plugged in. This can be resolved using canned air or contact cleaner (very small amount, don't soak your phone).

What happened to me was that the left side contact actually seems to be bent just a little (this happened after getting a new headphone adapter that was a tighter fit than my original one). I've had my phone apart 3 times now to fix this issue and it still goes in and out sometimes. When it goes out and does not come back on it's own or with a gentle tap I've had success carefully sticking a toothpick in the jack and adjusting the rear most left side contact.

I've been looking for a place to buy a replacement headphone jack but have not had any luck yet. If anyone knows of a place to order one please let me know. I've found sites that will do the repair for me but the minimum I've seen is $75+ and I'd rather just do it myself since it'd be a simple repair if I can find the part.

On a side note, I have not upgraded or reflashed my phone yet, except for the official updates from verizion, so it's not related to WM6 or the current kitchens, at least in my case. If you search other forums it appears to be a fairly common issue.

Last edited by glitch; 11-15-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:59 PM
Lurker

davedenmark is a n00b
I had this problem occur about a week ago....was without audio on my phone for about 3 days until I was able to get my old wired headset and repeatedly plug & unplug it from the phone. Doing that about 5 or 6 times consecutively fixed the problem.

While this isn't an end-all solution to this problem (as glitch has elaborately explained the true nature), it did work for me. Perhaps the pins inside just need some coercing. I didn't want to use a toothpick/paper clip as I didn't want to risk bending the contacts even further out of alignment.

Now that my phone is working again, I will no longer use a wired headset on it.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:18 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Titan
Carrier: Alltel

yellowone is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to yellowone
I have this SAME problem...boy I am SOOO bummed out. Thanks for the explanation glitch. At least I'll stop searching for software issues.

Popping in and out finally got mine to work again. Damn thix sux. I will admit to having the cord ripped out by accident 2 or 3 times exiting the car. Guess I'm gonna have to invest in a jawbone and be done with the wired....What about the BT Audio firmware update. Did anyone ever get that to work wekk with the 6700?

Last edited by yellowone; 11-15-2007 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:54 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC 6700

jpsaras is a n00b
My phone does the same thing. If I wiggle the jack while pluging / unpluging a few times times. It goes back to working just fine for a while.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:03 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC-6700

cd_ema is a n00b
hey.. I thought I was the only who has this problem. I've already post similar thread, therfore I'm sorry. So, the solution is to clean the headset jack. I'm gonna try and spray a little contact cleaner when I'm off my work. So, do we need to change the headsets or something to prevent this form happening again in the future?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache