PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2007, 05:26 PM
ege
Lurker
Pocket PC: TouchPro
Carrier: Sprint

ege is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WM6 vs. Kirvins latest Clean & Simple

What has your take been on these 2 ROM in a head - to - head? I ran Kirvin's for a few weeks and thought it was great. Very stable, fast. I've been running WM6 now since it was released, and though I love it, I find myself resetting about 3-5 times a day. I know it's not the developers fault. He did the impossible by giving us WM6, but I wonder if anyone else has noticed this. What's your average number of resets with WM6? I only ask because I'm contemplating going back to Kirvins latest ROM, which was pretty close to WM6, but like I said, seemed more stable.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: 6800 (Mogul)

scotbotmosh is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to scotbotmosh
I have been on the same upgrade path as you..I don't have reset problems though..I like it over all..I liked the simplicity of kirvins rom though...
Old 09-27-2007, 06:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

joemike60 is just getting started
I too have tried both. While I like the idea of being on WM6 (and definitely appreciate the work of others to make it available for us), I have gone back to WM5. There were too many resets - the one that finally pushed me over the top was a repeated problem with a lingering wait cursor that would not go away without a soft-reset. I hope to return to WM6, but for now I'm back to WM5.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:11 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe
Everyone should know WM6 is still being tested. It is no where near being perfected so I do not understand who so many people expect such great things from it. I mean, YES - THANK you to the persons who brought it to us but I remember the oringinal thread being about testing it and reporting bugs for further development. So in my eyes, there is nothing to compare UNTIL it is finalized.

Yes I used WM6 on my test phone and notice a few things that werent right but I never expected them all to be. When my WM6 had to be rebooted and it locked at the splashscreen is when I went right back to WM5 (Kirvins C&S 3.5 1.02)
Old 09-27-2007, 06:38 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community
Like everything else, this is a matter of opinion.
Anyone running a ROM other than the latest WM6, likes that ROM better, otherwise they would be on WM6.

I'm running a version of Jeff's Clean & Simple but I added a bunch of OEM files I like to use. Very stable for me. The real reason I haven't gone to WM6 is that I can hard-reset and everything is installed and moved to where I like it.
I know I could do the same on WM6 by customizing the extended rom, but that would take up tons of space with everything I have loading. Plus, I use the extended rom for my PIE temp folders.

So, until there is a kitchen out for WM6, and most of the bugs worked out, I'll stick to what works for me.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc mogul
Carrier: sprint

wiinex is a n00b
does this mean this rom doesn't work for mugol? agghh..

Sprint - HTC Mugol -2006 / Present
Sprint - UTStarcom PPC6700 -2006 / 2006
T-mobile - Nokia 3220 -2004 / 2006
T-mobile - Sony Ericsson T300 -2003 / 2004
Cingular - Nokia 8270 -2002 / 2003
Cingular - Nokia 3360 -2000 / 2002
Old 09-27-2007, 07:35 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g LTE

Fosters is a n00b
after trying out WM6 on the 6700 and on the mogul, I am getting to the conclusion our hardware is just not up to snuff for WM6. The mogul seemed a lot quicker and even though the cpu seemed about the same, the graphics portion is noticeably quicker on the mogul.

as far as resets i have not had many problems, can't say any more than WM5 when it gets all loaded up with stuff...
Old 09-27-2007, 07:58 PM
Banned User

scotbotmosh is a n00b
I am real happy with WM6 on my 6700 unless it makes my apch burst into flames I aint going back!

No resets here and I have tons of stuff on my ppc
Old 09-27-2007, 08:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sammy Epic

strickly_ppc670 is keeping up the good workstrickly_ppc670 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to strickly_ppc670
WM6 is awesome! I have tried it several times, but the head ache of
hard resets had me move to the original 2.2 AKU.

Jeffs latest is what I have. Its stable and even with the HTC Home plug in.
No lock ups thus far! This is not to say WM6 isnt stable, but the 3.5 kitchen
is tried and proven.

I am personally waiting for the kitchen and the geat folks here to work their magic
to make it more stable and robust. Thank you to all who are trying and making the
next big leap into the WM6 space easy for the rest of us!

Keep up the great work!

Helmi, luv_2_Chill, Colonel, Jeff, and the rest of you- Thanks again!
----------Priceless ----------
Old 09-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Banned User

scotbotmosh is a n00b
We need to get kirvin to get a WM6 rom going!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development