PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotbotmosh View Post
Once again statements in your current post contridict statements made in previous posts..people have been discouraged from using a kitchen if thier skills weren't as good as others..I would include the quote but it really is tiring especially after the first couple of times

And really if the developers are 'just doing this for themselves" then there is really no need for a public website that anyone can register and become a part of, they could just email eachother, or create a private site.
Don't see the contradiction or the discouragement. If I did, my apologies - it surely wasn't intended.

You're right - they could have a private site or email each other. Aren't we lucky that they decided to be public?

EDIT: ok, I broke down and asked where I might possibly have discouraged people from using the kitchen. What I got back was "if you want C&S, you shouldn't be in the kitchen" or something to that effect. Thought I explained that adequately before, but let me try again with the verbosity dialed up: Kirvin's ROMs are based on the Zen of Palm - only do what you do really, really well. To that end, Jeff's ROM doesn't have a lot of the optional OEMs added in. It doesn't even have some of the standard core stuff added in. It has the bare necessities plus the most stable of the most used add ons - and nothing else. Those familiar with providing IT support recognize that that's the dream configuration for stability and support - if only they could keep users from installing their own stuff. Same concept applies here - if you like Kirvin's ROM for it's stability, by going into the kitchen and adding stuff you are getting away from the original Zen of Palm concept because what you are adding is instability. Furthermore, since Jeff's ROMs are targeted at non-technical types, troubleshooting any problem resulting from that add probably isn't for them. Hence, my comment of "stay out of the kitchen if you like C&S". C&S in this case not referring to Kirvin's ROM or it's users, but to the Zen of Palm concept. It wasn't meant to discourage, it was meant to be helpful advice to people that are not into troubleshooting technical issue. If you don't fall in to that category, then by all means, go play with the kitchen.

Last edited by gguruusa; 10-12-2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Moto Q9c
Carrier: sprint

1oddmanout is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to 1oddmanout
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguruusa View Post
If you don't fall in to that category, then by all means, go play with the kitchen.
Except, someone, who, took away the kitchen (or badgered Jeff to remove it)?

http://www.gratitudecampaign.org/fullmovie.php
Old 10-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)
Carrier: Sprint

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oddmanout View Post
Except, someone, who, took away the kitchen (or badgered Jeff to remove it)?
I'm pretty sure gguru was referring to "THE" kitchen... you know, the one helmi made, for which there are perfectly well-written instructions on how to use. The one that PPCGeeks hosts and countless people have helped develop and improve for the benefit of all of the users here.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Vogue
Carrier: Bell

Videonut is becoming a great contributor
I must be an idiot for getting involved in this but...
MS wrote the software, it kinda sucked, so Helmi_c ripped it, ported it and started fixin it for all of us to use. Face it he deserves all the credit for the rip cause we'd all be stuck with crap devices, as many have already said.
Others come along and make modifictions,great, but without the Helmi_c's rip you'd have nothing to improve on.
As the original ripper, if helmi doesn't want people doing anything with his rip then that's his call and since he is given the respect at this forum then the mods will do what they want to meet Helmi_c's wishes.
Some people think that forums are democracies, but they aren't. There are rulers and they make the rules and if you don't like it you go somewhere else, plain and simple.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Jeff Kirvin is becoming a great contributor
Dan, thanks for pointing out the problem with GReader, I just wish I knew why I had the same problem with Helmi's WM6. Weird.

In any case, this entire argument just became more moot than it already was. I no longer own an Apache, so I won't be able to develop a C&S WM6 ROM even when the kitchen is released. My headphone jack shorted out and when it took it in for repair, they handed me a brand new, in-the-box Mogul.

I wish the Apache community all the best. Now I've got to go read up on the whole new set of problems I've inherited.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development