PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Apache Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Helmi Apache WM6 verizonguy edition (early devel) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=8722)

verizonguy 09-19-2007 12:28 AM

Helmi Apache WM6 [verizonguy edition]

Helmi Apache WM6 Rom VE (Verizonguy Edition) A4 (Alpha 4) aka devel4
Current Version: A4
Download here: http://verizonguy.com/wm6

Apache WM6 Aku 0.7.0 Kitchen
Current Version: 0.4
Download here: http://verizonguy.com/wm6

Major Update: Devel4 now available for testing.

Summary of changes in this build:
I've managed to fix Infrared Beam OBEX in this build. I've also added SDHC support and Office 2007 support along with removing more extraneous stuff. I'll be starting a separate thread for more discussion on SDHC on apache. I think you'll find this rom also gives you more space to install programs on your phone :)

This installer package is designed for Verizon users to be run on Windows XP. This is a work in progress and is a development build, not yet an official release, so use at your own risk.

All credit goes to Helmi_c. We owe him much for all the time he has put in to making WM6 available to us on the Apache. Please send him a donation when you can to show your appreciation.

Instructions:

1) Backup contacts, documents, etc from your phone.
2) Put your phone in bootloader mode by holding down the 2 buttons in the top left corner of your phone while putting the stylus in the reset hole.
3) Connect your phone to your PC via mini usb cable.
4) Download the file linked above.
5) Run Devel4.exe
6) When finished running, unplug usb cable, then do a soft reset by putting the stylus in the hole.
7) When it starts booting up, do a hard reset by holding down the 2 soft keys (above send/end) while putting the stylus in the hole.
8 ) Let it reboot, align screen, etc.

Dial *22899 to program your phone.

Soft reset using the soft reset application in the Programs menu.

Changelog

Major update, lots of progress
- Fixed IR Beam (and there was much rejoicing)
- Added SDHC support (the rejoicing got louder)
- Added Office 2007 support (crickets)
- Removed more extraneous non-stock applications moving closer toward a plain vanilla release.
- Optimized imgfs structure to allow for more free space ;)
---

More optimizations & standardization.
-Dialer now has working 911, working ## codes, smartdialing, etc. A custom phone canvas module will eventually have to be created to properly use wm6's dialer as intended, but this will be functional and be what we're used to.
-Added wpa wifi fix from xda-developers site.
-Other fixes, but it's 3:22am and I'm tired.
---

Fixes & optimization
-Fixed broken 911 and dialer issues from stock rom.
-Removed over 50 invalid registry entries and links from the stock rom.
-Several optimizations for speed and ease of use.
-fixed & restored standard hardware buttons
-fixed missing comm manager in AppButtons
-corrected voice speed dial registry entries
-enabled HTC Task Manager
---

devel1 made available for public download. WM6 for the Apache is in the early development stage. It is not considered "production" or even a release so if you choose to use any WM6 rom at this point, understand you may not have full functionality or dependable service.
-Removed "trial" purchased software that required licenses: Deepfish, Resco File Explorer, Resco Registry, Resco Update & Yahoo Go 2.0
-Added free applications: Total Commander (great free file explorer/manager), PHM Registry Editor and a Soft Reset application.
-Brought Voice dialing back, integrated free voice dialing into rom. (Haven't changed button functionality for it yet, available through programs menu for now & fully functional.

nemanracing 09-19-2007 08:47 AM

DL'ing now will post back results later. Thanks for this!

tharris297 09-19-2007 09:17 AM

I'm going to give it a try and thanks for any efforts to support Helmi and PPCgeeks. I have a question though, are there any "under the hood" changes made into your rom. Meaning, any Reg updates or any other tweeks to make WM6 work better? I'm a verizon user also and with this being a Verizoin rom ... i'm curious if there are any Verizon benefits :) over the standard Helmi "that runs like a Hemi :)

Thanks a lot Verizonguy and glad to see ya back!

verizonguy 09-19-2007 04:01 PM

There are a couple of memory optimization settings that I think you'll agree make it run faster. There will be a couple more in the next batch.

InvincibleLiving 09-19-2007 05:32 PM

So what did you use as a kitchen for this and where'd you get it from? Did helmi release it?

AstainHellbring 09-19-2007 05:54 PM

I think he used the old hacking methods before there was a kitchen

Schwartz 09-19-2007 06:04 PM

Does Secured Wifi Work Yet???

fitbryan 09-19-2007 07:35 PM

hey verizonguy - glad you are back in action :) hope the basement went well.

Did you leave the EXT ROM blank or are you using it? Are you running the VZW customizations or they baked in? Just wondering how the memory is being handled, as I've always had issues needing soft resets when its tweaked too much in some ROMS?

CHUFLY29 09-19-2007 09:51 PM

just a quick note: I've been using the Resco Registry Editor for a while now and it hasn't deactivated yet (not sure if it needs a key I guess..)

verizonguy 09-19-2007 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AstainHellbring (Post 90035)
I think he used the old hacking methods before there was a kitchen

You are correct, sir.

Quote:

Does Secured Wifi Work Yet???
I seldom use the WiFi between my unlimited data plan & my laptop, but the reports are that unsecured works, wep works, but WPA doesn't. It is on my list of things to do at this point.

Quote:

hey verizonguy - glad you are back in action hope the basement went well.
Thanks. Yeah, it came out great. I did all the drywall & electrical myself, wifey painted, I hired a company through home depot to do the carpeting and hired a guy to put in a hung ceiling.

Quote:

Did you leave the EXT ROM blank or are you using it? Are you running the VZW customizations or they baked in? Just wondering how the memory is being handled, as I've always had issues needing soft resets when its tweaked too much in some ROMS?
I haven't done anything with the ext rom yet. It is essentially useless at this point, so might as well use it for storage. This Verizon version is based on helmi's which has most of the customizations from the ext rom cabs already manually applied, so no, the customizations shouldn't be left to run.

Quote:

just a quick note: I've been using the Resco Registry Editor for a while now and it hasn't deactivated yet (not sure if it needs a key I guess..)
The features aren't all available unless you buy it. The version included in this edition has more features and is freeware.

25-302 09-20-2007 04:14 AM

Thanks !.what means devel? i am from china.

mellon 09-20-2007 04:21 AM

thanks, i am downloading it and will give a try.
one question: did you remove the themes and ringtones?

scotbotmosh 09-20-2007 08:59 AM

Devel is short for development, still in progress, still growing, it's like a baby right now..but growing...

kyppcgeek 09-20-2007 01:09 PM

program code is *228.
do option 1
then call back and do option 2

csxt146 09-20-2007 01:51 PM

I am REALLY happy with this so far! Thanks to all! One question, though... My memory is now full... Are there items from the install that can be removed? I only have about 5k memory right now, so I can't active sync. Thanks Again!

Bill C

ronnybej 09-20-2007 03:14 PM

hey, i agree, im very happy with this so far too... i just got a question, is there a way to just have 1X and not have Evdo? Because everytime there is a E on the top of my today screen, i'm not able to receive calls or texts and things like that, i think there isnt Evdo in my area or something. I already tried to go in to "Mode of Operation", but when I change it to 1X, it just changes right back to "Hybrid". Can anyone help?

csxt146 09-20-2007 04:35 PM

My post can be disregarded! A hard reset cleared it out. Now I'm REALLY, REALLY happy! Great job so far!

iclickjohn 09-20-2007 04:52 PM

Of course I love wm6, had to take it off from Helmi's due to the fact That I couldn't get VC to work. OK, same problem here. I select "device" to save to. BUT as it loads it says "You are saving to "" it is advised to save to your main memory" While operating and trying to use VC it says "Voice Command has encountered a problem. Restart Voice Command and try again.". I don't even know what they mean by that. I've got it assigned to button 5. I also tried it with the windows symbol. If there is a reg hack, I could fix it, but I don't know where to go to fix and what to change. I read someware to put the "" in the path with reg edit. I forgot where that was, but it didn't help when using Helmi's. The Voice Command that I downloaded was 1.5

EDIT: Found answer in link here: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=8680

hypeo 09-20-2007 05:35 PM

Hey Verizonguy is this new version working for the PPC6700 also?? I have Sprint and I miss my voice dial.

fitbryan 09-20-2007 06:56 PM

Anyone running the threaded SMS app with this yet? Hows it working?

fparkin 09-20-2007 07:23 PM

Is There Going Be A Sprint Version Of This?

BenRivera 09-20-2007 09:42 PM

I installed it last night and everything went fine. Then tonight the phone locked up big time. Soft resets could not get past the WM boot screen, I had to do a hard reset to get it back. No sure what could have caused it, I hadn't used my phone in almost 2 hours.

BobC 09-20-2007 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 25-302 (Post 90277)
Thanks !.what means devel? i am from china.

LOL! - "devel" means under development

In other words it isn't a finished product - it is something that is still being worked on and improved.

fitbryan 09-21-2007 02:10 AM

how often is this requiring soft resets? With Helmis stock ROM Im having to soft reset about every 2-3 days on average.

bmtbandit 09-21-2007 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iclickjohn (Post 90505)
Of course I love wm6, had to take it off from Helmi's due to the fact That I couldn't get VC to work. OK, same problem here. I select "device" to save to. BUT as it loads it says "You are saving to "" it is advised to save to your main memory" While operating and trying to use VC it says "Voice Command has encountered a problem. Restart Voice Command and try again.". I don't even know what they mean by that. I've got it assigned to button 5. I also tried it with the windows symbol. If there is a reg hack, I could fix it, but I don't know where to go to fix and what to change. I read someware to put the "" in the path with reg edit. I forgot where that was, but it didn't help when using Helmi's. The Voice Command that I downloaded was 1.5

Vocie Command 1.5 does not work witrh any WM6. I dont believe it even worked with the 3.3 and 3.5 Roms. You need to use 1.6

mellon 09-21-2007 09:29 AM

two problems:
1. voicecommand does not work. then i map this key to another application, but pressing the key cannot start the application i assigned
2. i am using handylauncher. when i input the registration key, i cannot input the last letter. but with WM5, i dont have such a problem.

TwoDawgs 09-21-2007 10:00 AM

I do not hear any sound when receiving an MMS with a .qcp audio file attached. Any ideas?

fitbryan 09-21-2007 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoDawgs (Post 90800)
I do not hear any sound when receiving an MMS with a .qcp audio file attached. Any ideas?

MMS doesnt work in any WM6 ROM (yet) except for alltel from what I understand

TwoDawgs 09-21-2007 11:34 AM

I can send and receive MMS. It shows the picture and will play any sound except .qcp files.

bmtbandit 09-21-2007 11:37 AM

I am on Verizon with Helmi's original and have no problem sending recieving mms.

verizonguy 09-21-2007 01:31 PM

I'll most likely be posting an update with the second wave of changes. This was primarily housecleaning. The base rom contained over 50 invalid registry entries that I've cleaned up. I've added some more optimizations for speed. No major content changes in round 2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mellon (Post 90280)
thanks, i am downloading it and will give a try.
one question: did you remove the themes and ringtones?

no, don't see a reason to at this point.

Quote:

Is There Going Be A Sprint Version Of This?
most likely no as I can't test it.

Quote:

I installed it last night and everything went fine. Then tonight the phone locked up big time. Soft resets could not get past the WM boot screen, I had to do a hard reset to get it back. No sure what could have caused it, I hadn't used my phone in almost 2 hours.
I haven't had any such lockups with helmi's original verizon rom or this modified version of it. My guess would be it had something to do with something you installed or you may have just found a bug we have not yet found.

Quote:

Vocie Command 1.5 does not work witrh any WM6. I dont believe it even worked with the 3.3 and 3.5 Roms. You need to use 1.6
Right, I've heard there are work-arounds for 1.5, but I don't personally use VC so haven't got to the point of testing VC with this rom.

Quote:

how often is this requiring soft resets? With Helmis stock ROM Im having to soft reset about every 2-3 days on average.
Why are you having to reset on the base version? I haven't had to reset with the base version or my version yet at all. What have you installed so far? Any modifications?

Quote:

LOL! - "devel" means under development

In other words it isn't a finished product - it is something that is still being worked on and improved.
You got it.

Quote:

no clue.

Quote:

I am on Verizon with Helmi's original and have no problem sending recieving mms.
ditto

fitbryan 09-21-2007 02:11 PM

Interesting. I've never been able to receive MMS on the stock verizon helmo WM6 ROM.

Also I find battery life is really poor.

I have threaded SMS installed and Intellisync cab installed to program memory. thats it.

When you upload V2 I will flash it and start testing to see if I notice any difference. Sure hope so :)

verizonguy 09-21-2007 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitbryan (Post 90906)
Interesting. I've never been able to receive MMS on the stock verizon helmo WM6 ROM.

Also I find battery life is really poor.

I have threaded SMS installed and Intellisync cab installed to program memory. thats it.

When you upload V2 I will flash it and start testing to see if I notice any difference. Sure hope so :)

At least a small part of that is cuz beam is turned on by default. Remember, wm6 is still really really new for the apache :)

mmbhm 09-21-2007 11:53 PM

threaded sms

which threaded sms program are you using?

fitbryan 09-22-2007 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmbhm (Post 91111)
which threaded sms program are you using?

search is your friend :)

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=7769

verizonguy 09-22-2007 04:05 AM

I'm holding off on posting devel2 for tonight. I had what I had originally planned done, then launched into working on 3 more problems with wm6, fixed them & created 1 new one ;) It's 4am, so gonna get some sleep and continue tomorrow with this phase.

mbial 09-22-2007 03:04 PM

VerizonGuy,

Is there a clean WM6 base ROM that you could potentially release to the rest of use for use with the current AKU3.5 Kitchen? Im not even sure that would work, but I am willing to live with a little bit of bugginess if I can at least cook my own ROM. I just can't wait to have a WM6 kitchen! Thanks so much!

Best,
MJB

verizonguy 09-22-2007 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbial (Post 91322)
VerizonGuy,

Is there a clean WM6 base ROM that you could potentially release to the rest of use for use with the current AKU3.5 Kitchen? Im not even sure that would work, but I am willing to live with a little bit of bugginess if I can at least cook my own ROM. I just can't wait to have a WM6 kitchen! Thanks so much!

Best,
MJB

Sorry but that didn't make sense. A rom is the image the device uses. A kitchen is a disassembled rom in a customizable state, not yet built into a rom.

You had asked for a wm6 rom to use with a wm5 rom kitchen, so not sure what you mean.

I don't use kitchens so no, I don't plan to make one. If you're looking for a base wm6 rom without carrier customizations, see helmi's thread as it has a non carrier specific version.

verizonguy 09-22-2007 04:47 PM

I've updated the original thread with a download link for my most recent edition of Helmi's wm6 ROM.

NOTE: IF YOU ARE USING HELMI'S ORIGINAL VERIZON WM6 ROM OR MY DEVEL1 EDITION, YOU NEED TO UPDATE YOUR ROM ASAP. There is a huge safety issue. The 911 functionality is completely broken in all verizon roms < devel2. If you dial 911, your phone will lock up.

sph33r 09-22-2007 06:15 PM

Just installed Dev2 .. going to play around with it a bit tonight. I'm curious, what's the point of the software to soft reset the device? It's easier to stab the stylus in bottom. Any advantage to the software?