PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Apache Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Unrecognized USB device during ActiveSync (helmi's WM6) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=8336)

store2000 09-11-2007 03:27 PM

Unrecognized USB device during ActiveSync (helmi's WM6)

First off, Helmi, you rock. Actually, the entire team of independent developers rock. Delivering where multi-million dollar carriers have failed.

Coming back, I used Helmi's WM6 build (5.2.1620) on my xv6700. I'm facing some issues like WPA-PSK not working, no voicetags/voicecommands over bluetooth, bluetooth volume low etc. But let me only address one issue here.

When I plug the phone into the mini-USB cable (no hub in the middle), I almost always get "USB device unrecognized" error in Windows XP. I've found a reliable way of working around it, which is
1) run WM5torage (make the device look like a USB drive)
2) Activate WM5torage
3) Deactivate WM5torage

Then immediately ActiveSync kick off and all is good. This is the same even if I enable/disable advanced networking functionality in settings -> connections -> usb to PC.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this error? I tried uninstalling WM5torage but I didn't see it in the remove programs list. Maybe because it came with the ROM image itself??

Thanks

dth4310 09-11-2007 07:05 PM

Same issue with same rom....actually experienced on some of the past kitchens as well.

My best luck has been with powering off the device in the cradle (while hooked up to USB) - the top right light blinks several times, then turns back on. About that time, activesync / pocketcontroller / my pc recognize the device.

brightedge 09-11-2007 08:08 PM

You can also try disabling "Advanced Networking" in Start > Settings > Connections > USB to PC. Also, make sure your cradle/USB cable is plugged directly into a port, not into a USB hub.

INSTIGATOR 09-12-2007 02:26 PM

Mine worked fine when I got it last week, now when I connect it says it doesn't recognize the USB DEVICE??
I looked in Start > Settings > Connections > but I don't have a USB to PC icon??

brightedge 09-12-2007 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by INSTIGATOR (Post 86373)
Mine worked fine when I got it last week, now when I connect it says it doesn't recognize the USB DEVICE??
I looked in Start > Settings > Connections > but I don't have a USB to PC icon??

Are you using the latest WM6 ROM? If not, you may not have that icon. Which icons do you have?

store2000 09-12-2007 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brightedge (Post 86083)
You can also try disabling "Advanced Networking" in Start > Settings > Connections > USB to PC. Also, make sure your cradle/USB cable is plugged directly into a port, not into a USB hub.

Thanks but the original post indicates that I've tried this and it doesn't change the behavior.

brightedge 09-12-2007 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by store2000 (Post 86393)
Thanks but the original post indicates that I've tried this and it doesn't change the behavior.

Sorry, must have missed that.

store2000 09-12-2007 11:35 PM

I flashed my device back to WM5 (verizon release). I don't see this problem anymore.

I think I'll wait till WM6 releases are more stable ...

pcpal01 09-13-2007 04:04 PM

Fixing Windows Device Issues with PPC

Had the same problem many time and this is what I do.

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.
2. Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1, and then press ENTER.
3. Type Start DEVMGMT.MSC, and then press ENTER.
4. Click View, and then click Show Hidden Devices.
5. Expand all trees one at a time and do the following.
6. Right-click the all dimmed devices, and then click Uninstall.

jusinjusin 09-14-2007 09:32 PM

I tried both solutions, and I still get an unrecognized device