PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Apache Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Unrecognized USB device during ActiveSync (helmi's WM6) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=8336)

store2000 09-11-2007 03:27 PM

Unrecognized USB device during ActiveSync (helmi's WM6)

First off, Helmi, you rock. Actually, the entire team of independent developers rock. Delivering where multi-million dollar carriers have failed.

Coming back, I used Helmi's WM6 build (5.2.1620) on my xv6700. I'm facing some issues like WPA-PSK not working, no voicetags/voicecommands over bluetooth, bluetooth volume low etc. But let me only address one issue here.

When I plug the phone into the mini-USB cable (no hub in the middle), I almost always get "USB device unrecognized" error in Windows XP. I've found a reliable way of working around it, which is
1) run WM5torage (make the device look like a USB drive)
2) Activate WM5torage
3) Deactivate WM5torage

Then immediately ActiveSync kick off and all is good. This is the same even if I enable/disable advanced networking functionality in settings -> connections -> usb to PC.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this error? I tried uninstalling WM5torage but I didn't see it in the remove programs list. Maybe because it came with the ROM image itself??

Thanks

dth4310 09-11-2007 07:05 PM

Same issue with same rom....actually experienced on some of the past kitchens as well.

My best luck has been with powering off the device in the cradle (while hooked up to USB) - the top right light blinks several times, then turns back on. About that time, activesync / pocketcontroller / my pc recognize the device.

brightedge 09-11-2007 08:08 PM

You can also try disabling "Advanced Networking" in Start > Settings > Connections > USB to PC. Also, make sure your cradle/USB cable is plugged directly into a port, not into a USB hub.

INSTIGATOR 09-12-2007 02:26 PM

Mine worked fine when I got it last week, now when I connect it says it doesn't recognize the USB DEVICE??
I looked in Start > Settings > Connections > but I don't have a USB to PC icon??

brightedge 09-12-2007 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by INSTIGATOR (Post 86373)
Mine worked fine when I got it last week, now when I connect it says it doesn't recognize the USB DEVICE??
I looked in Start > Settings > Connections > but I don't have a USB to PC icon??

Are you using the latest WM6 ROM? If not, you may not have that icon. Which icons do you have?

store2000 09-12-2007 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brightedge (Post 86083)
You can also try disabling "Advanced Networking" in Start > Settings > Connections > USB to PC. Also, make sure your cradle/USB cable is plugged directly into a port, not into a USB hub.

Thanks but the original post indicates that I've tried this and it doesn't change the behavior.

brightedge 09-12-2007 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by store2000 (Post 86393)
Thanks but the original post indicates that I've tried this and it doesn't change the behavior.

Sorry, must have missed that.

store2000 09-12-2007 11:35 PM

I flashed my device back to WM5 (verizon release). I don't see this problem anymore.

I think I'll wait till WM6 releases are more stable ...

pcpal01 09-13-2007 04:04 PM

Fixing Windows Device Issues with PPC

Had the same problem many time and this is what I do.

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.
2. Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1, and then press ENTER.
3. Type Start DEVMGMT.MSC, and then press ENTER.
4. Click View, and then click Show Hidden Devices.
5. Expand all trees one at a time and do the following.
6. Right-click the all dimmed devices, and then click Uninstall.

jusinjusin 09-14-2007 09:32 PM

I tried both solutions, and I still get an unrecognized device

store2000 09-17-2007 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcpal01 (Post 86939)
Had the same problem many time and this is what I do.

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.
2. Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1, and then press ENTER.
3. Type Start DEVMGMT.MSC, and then press ENTER.
4. Click View, and then click Show Hidden Devices.
5. Expand all trees one at a time and do the following.
6. Right-click the all dimmed devices, and then click Uninstall.

The unrecognized USB device error came up again on me. Out of the blue. I tried the above (however on point 6, I only uninstalled the "unknown USB" devices, not every type of greyed out device.)

USB device recognised now ... weird ! But at least its a windows XP problem, not a windows mobile problem.

specv 09-18-2007 12:09 AM

ive tried restarting my computer and it just worked

guitardoc64 09-18-2007 09:39 AM

Try getting activesyncmode from UTStarcomm. there are a couple ways to get it, but it will download and install with PIE. It fixes the unrecognised device error.

On the PDA, open Internet Explorer and type the address http://www.utstar.com/pcd/downloads/...yncmode.sa.cab
Select “Save As” into Storage card or Main Memory, then OK,
it will automatically install to the device
After install, Close all programs on the device
Tap Start, then select Programs, and then Active Sync Mode
Switch from RNDIS to USB, then tap OK
Close all programs then Sync with your computer.

boubert 09-18-2007 04:34 PM

i have found this problem as well and here is my 2 cents put the device in sleep mode first (screen black) then plug in USB cable it should work then at least it dose for me

brightedge 09-20-2007 10:08 PM

I had this problem on a Mogul today. I tried every suggestion listed in this thread, and none worked. I uninstalled/reinstalled Active Sync 4.5 to no avail.

What fixed it? I moved the USB cable to a different port. XP found new hardware, and Active Sync wanted to set up a new partnership. I deleted the existing partnership on device and PC, then set up new partnership. All is well.

sharkalvarez 09-24-2007 01:32 PM

Problem

Mine opens up as a Guest can some one help

brightedge 09-24-2007 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkalvarez (Post 92102)
Mine opens up as a Guest can some one help

I would try deleting the existing partnership in Active Sync (and on the device.) After you do that, it should prompt you to create a new partnership once you connect.

guitardoc64 09-24-2007 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brightedge (Post 92111)
I would try deleting the existing partnership in Active Sync (and on the device.) After you do that, it should prompt you to create a new partnership once you connect.

True, I had to do the same thing when I cooked my first ROM with the kitchen since it changed my device ID. Deleted the existing, reconnected and it syncs just fine.

redz1234 09-24-2007 09:40 PM

I have never ran into an issue like that before.. I use active sync w/ Win XP Pro. Currently using Helmi's WM6 as well.

sharkalvarez 09-25-2007 01:19 PM

Activesync

I keep getting this message"Synchronization cannot be completed succesfully reconect your device and try again.If the problem presist see the micrsoft Activsync troubleshooter inMicrosoft ActiveSync help on your desktop computer"Can some one help please

sunny1974 09-26-2007 12:38 PM

i can confirm the close button (black screen) first approach before attaching the usb cable works.. i think the trouble maybee with the usb drivers of the comp as this happens only in one of my 2 comps- the older one.. both running xp.. just do it close the screen and plug it in.. it will work flawlessly . before that i tried reloacating it to a diff port n all.. it worked just randomly.. but this way makes it work 10 out of 10 times.. a simple solution to a complex problem.. lol thanks whoever pointed this out..

brightedge 09-26-2007 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkalvarez (Post 92610)
I keep getting this message"Synchronization cannot be completed succesfully reconect your device and try again.If the problem presist see the micrsoft Activsync troubleshooter inMicrosoft ActiveSync help on your desktop computer"Can some one help please

Have you tried all of the suggestions posted in this thread?

sharkalvarez 09-26-2007 01:45 PM

Help

I have tried everything but no help.Another thing my phone keeps going into activesync even though ths cable isnt hooked on. Please help

guitardoc64 09-26-2007 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkalvarez (Post 93095)
I have tried everything but no help.Another thing my phone keeps going into activesync even though ths cable isnt hooked on. Please help

Yes activesync does start itself and run in the background. Try connecting with the PPC's activesync and initiating from the sync(left softkey)tab. Or, try stopping activesync in running programs and then plugging in.

sharkalvarez 09-27-2007 01:41 PM

I keep getting this meassage"Synchronization cannot be completed succesfully reconect your device and try again.If the problem presist see the micrsoft Activsync troubleshooter inMicrosoft ActiveSync help on your desktop computer"What does it mean

brightedge 09-27-2007 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkalvarez (Post 93636)
I keep getting this meassage"Synchronization cannot be completed succesfully reconect your device and try again.If the problem presist see the micrsoft Activsync troubleshooter inMicrosoft ActiveSync help on your desktop computer"What does it mean

Just to verify, you've tried all of these?

1) Disabled Advanced Networking in Start > Settings > Connections > USB to PC
2) If that didn't work, try another USB port; try another USB cable
3) If that didn't work, uninstall Active Sync, remove partnership on phone's Active Sync, reinstall Active Sync 4.5, then connect device
4) If that didn't work, while your phone is plugged in, uninstall it from Device Manager, then reestablish the connection

Giovanni73 10-01-2007 01:15 PM

Believe this to be the answer to the problems of usb connection failure

Have Your Phone Connected To your PC
1st. Disable activesync So that when you connect your phone it won't run.
2nd. Next open Device manager of your Pc.
"Start Menu/Control panel/Administrative tools/Icon of Computer Management/ Then you will see a new window, on the left pane of the window select Device manager/ On the right Expand Network Adapters/ go to View in the Menu Bar and Turn on " show all Hidden" /Now in the right Pane you should see more types of Network Adapters one line should be
"Windows Mobile Device #?? " Whichs shows up when your phone is connected./ now with your phone connected still Right click on Windows Mobile device Under network adapters and select uninstall./ Then hit the power button on your phone turning it off then on again. Hopefully then the PC will Recognize your Pocket PC. this Worked for me And a few others so Far. This Is what Brightedge said on Line 4 Of his last Post more Detailed.

Raistlin5 11-07-2007 11:25 PM

I have been following this post and so far i got my ppc 6700 to connect only once when i installed wm6 since then i have tried 6 other computers and still can't get my phone recognized.....

GaMedic 11-08-2007 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raistlin5 (Post 116586)
I have been following this post and so far i got my ppc 6700 to connect only once when i installed wm6 since then i have tried 6 other computers and still can't get my phone recognized.....

Were all 6 computers running Active Sync 4.5

Raistlin5 11-08-2007 06:05 PM

4 were running xpsp2n with activesync 4.5 1 was running xp 64 bit with activesync 4.5 and the last one was vista 64 bit with mobile centre 6.1

Raistlin5 11-08-2007 07:06 PM

i'm gonna try using bluetooth to connect to activesync...

Raistlin5 11-08-2007 07:48 PM

i can't win... got bluetooth connection to activesync,ran romupdate exe and phone got disconnected and is now stuck in bootloader mode...

Raistlin5 11-08-2007 08:02 PM

life may be good.... in bootloader mode my usb works!!!! romupdate running and installing new kitchen.... keeping my fingers crossed.Will let you know if it works

Kolano 11-08-2007 08:08 PM

This thread at XDA-Developers offers a bit more insight as to what ActivesyncMode does.

Raistlin5 11-08-2007 08:36 PM

Life is good !!! Everything works got the new kitchen installed !!
Thanks to Helmi and everyone who contributes to this awesome forum !!!

guitardoc64 11-09-2007 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raistlin5 (Post 117329)
i can't win... got bluetooth connection to activesync,ran romupdate exe and phone got disconnected and is now stuck in bootloader mode...

you tried to flash a ROM over BT?!?!? is that even possible? I'd NEVER trust anything but a hardwire connection for doing any updating as deep as a ROM upgrade.

Raistlin5 11-09-2007 07:08 PM

I ended up using usb while in bootloader mode

guitardoc64 11-09-2007 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raistlin5 (Post 118264)
I ended up using usb while in bootloader mode

It's the only way. Bootloader and usb are the only way to do it. Bluetooth is software supported and gets turned off with everything else that's being replaced when the ROM is being upgraded.

bilson 11-23-2007 03:28 PM

Have same problem USB Device Not Recognized error and tried almost all mentioned fixes, but found when left alone the error goes away usually in less than a minute and all works find. Now after reburning with Helmi_c newest Kitchen of 11/17 and the PPCGeeks oems I can't get Bluetooth to access Activesync. Activesync is not listed as an option on the phone, just serial port and dialup networking.

DocHoskins 11-23-2007 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitardoc64 (Post 89156)
Try getting activesyncmode from UTStarcomm. there are a couple ways to get it, but it will download and install with PIE. It fixes the unrecognised device error.

On the PDA, open Internet Explorer and type the address http://www.utstar.com/pcd/downloads/...yncmode.sa.cab
Select “Save As” into Storage card or Main Memory, then OK,
it will automatically install to the device
After install, Close all programs on the device
Tap Start, then select Programs, and then Active Sync Mode
Switch from RNDIS to USB, then tap OK
Close all programs then Sync with your computer.

Worked like a charm. The url posting on this forum left out some letters, but just had to look at the status bar on my browser to see the entire link.

This has been a problem since I got the phone. I usually just had to power cycle the phone to work. Not today...then I come here to see THE solution. Thanks.