PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Apache Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   PDAJ's Clean WM6.5 ROM 4 Apache (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=77355)

PDAPhoneJunkie 07-31-2009 05:45 AM

PDAJ's Clean WM6.5 ROM 4 Apache

Hi guys. Here is a clean ROM I put together for the Apache using build 21501. Pretty nice and stable build. Thanks to those involved in putting the build together. Since this is a clean ROM, there are minimal programs in it, to ensure it will run smoothly, and also so you can start small then add whatever programs you'd like.

Programs included:
MS Office
Solitaire & Bubble Breaker

How to flash:
1. Check your bootloader, then download the appropriate ROM below.
2. Put the phone in bootloader (Power button+Record button+Stylus in reset hole).
3. Plug into computer, if on Vista open Windows Mobile Device Center and shut off USB Connections.
4. Run the excutable in the ROM folder.
5. When done HARD RESET(two soft keys+Stylus in reset hole) DO NOT FORGET TO DO THIS, and enjoy the ROM!

Links:
v1.00-v1.02-v2.02
v1.00-v1.02-v2.02

This is a generic ROM so it works for all carriers, you might however want to hit the reset whole upon first boot up. When you see "OEM Customizations will start in 3 seconds", hit te reset hole. If you would like a specfic carrier ROM, post down below or drop me a P.M. and I will post it.

If you need a more detailed flashing guide or run into issues, please read my guides, link for those in my signature. If you can't find help, drop me a message.

PENOYER 07-31-2009 10:21 AM

Re: PDAJ's Clean WM6.5 ROM 4 Apache

Wow, unexpected & impressed...Thanks for your work.=D>

juliend 07-31-2009 09:03 PM

Thanks man, appreciate the work! I've tried several 6.5 kitchen builds but nothing has been complete or stable enough for me to stick with. I'm excited to try this.

When I tried to flash, I got "rom ugrade utility is not designed for your device" error 150. 1.04BL verizon...

PDAPhoneJunkie 07-31-2009 11:18 PM

Oh shute. Let me take a look...

katapaltes 07-31-2009 11:56 PM

It's thoughtful of you to offer a pre-cooked ROM for a new release, since you have the expertise to deal with the early-adopter bugs. Much grass.
I too got the "150" error on my Sprint 1.00 6700, using Vista 32-bit with "Allow USB Connections" unchecked (I think that's right).

EDIT: Upgrade works with XP SP3 32-bit.
EDIT: Seems to work well so far, but no longer have my data connection. SMS and phone work. Looks pretty...

katapaltes 08-01-2009 11:18 AM

PDAJ, this is a very nice ROM indeed. All I had to do is perform the upgrade on XP instead of Vista and it worked great. The ROM is running fine on my Sprint 1.00 Apache with the exception of no data. The phone and texting works.

Is there any chance you can share how you built this ROM so we can reproduce your results and not beg you for a Sprint 1.00 Apache, etc. (cough cough) ROM? :-D

I should probably try the Apache Performance/overclocking app on this build to possibly remove the small hesitation I sometimes see in the interface. Overall, however, it runs really smoothly on 6.5.

webdaddy 08-01-2009 12:39 PM

Much thanks for your hard work! Unfortunately, I'm getting "Error 150" while trying to install your ROM on my VZW XV6700 w/2.0.5 bootloader on my WinXP w/SP3 laptop. What am I doing wrong?

webdaddy 08-01-2009 01:53 PM

A little more info: I've tried the WM6.5 Apache v1.04-v2.04-v2.05 ROM several times but it always fails with Error 150. The page prior to that - which usually shows all the device and update versions - displayed no values.

katapaltes 08-01-2009 10:54 PM

webdaddy, that's the same behavior I saw on Vista. Strange..

I get no data connection, and an error "Cannot connect with current connection settings. To change your connection settings, tap settings."

UPDATE: I just added a modem connection for my carrier (Sprint) using #777 as the number to dial and I have a data connection now. I guess when I built with the Kitchen and selected Sprint as my carrier, that was done for me automatically.

Start / Settings / Connections / Connections / Add a new modem connection / Next / #777 / Next / leave everything blank / Finish / click Save Password when given the opportunity

UPDATE: Plugged the phone into power only (not PC-connected) overnight to recharge battery and phone was locked this morning with the right-top amber indicator LED on solid, not blinking. Rebooting a few times only got me as far as seeing a band across the top of the screen that holds the battery, speaker, etc. symbols. I had set up Exchange ActiveSync, my data connection with Sprint, Yahoo Mobile 3, and WMWiFiRouter. A hard reset cleared it, but it was still sluggish for a while after that.

djao125 08-02-2009 11:08 AM

I'm getting a country error when trying to install on a US based Verizon 6700.

Unaufhaltsam 08-02-2009 06:33 PM

And the 6700 will never die... Well until they're all broken.

juliend 08-03-2009 09:30 AM

I tried on an XP machine with the same results, error 150... bummer.

PDAPhoneJunkie 08-04-2009 02:38 AM

You guys have not been forgotten. I uploaded the 1.04-2.05-2.05 ROMs with the wrong RUU, thus why it's not working.

For those of you with Country ID errors, there is no rhyme or reason to this. This error happened to me once on an Apache after flashing it to CricKet. Anyhow, you need to revert the "new bootloader" to v2.02, or if you have a 1.xx device it would be v1.02

Also, if you run into issues please follow my flashing guides found in my signature. Should you require more help, sned me a message.

Thanks, and the the ROMs will be up in a bit...

sharob57 08-05-2009 12:04 AM

I like this rom, my only question so far is how do i get into QPST? i used to hit ##778# and enter all zero and it opened up now nothing happens.if you would please let me know how I may get back in to fix some settings. Tank you.

sharob57 08-05-2009 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharob57 (Post 1082324)
I like this rom, my only question so far is how do i get into QPST? i used to hit ##778# and enter all zero and it opened up now nothing happens.if you would please let me know how I may get back in to fix some settings. Tank you.

Never mind I figured it out, knew I wasn't that dense. TY=D>

chevyman46933 08-05-2009 10:21 PM

rom works perfectly, only one problem, ive been using a 2gb mini sd card, and it dosent see it at all, are there any fixes for this or am i just out of luck?

thanks

PDAPhoneJunkie 08-06-2009 01:10 AM

You SD card doesn't work? I had that happen once on a fresh ROM with my Titan. Hard reset fixed it. The SD card does work with this ROM, trust me. Try a soft reset, then do a hard if need be.

chevyman46933 08-06-2009 01:45 PM

i got it fixed from an hcsd driver i found somewhere on here loaded the cab file and it works perfect, not one problem with the rom, works flawless now

now to get the metro internet working...can i pm you and get some advice from you on that? i searched and searched with no luck

PDAPhoneJunkie 08-06-2009 02:52 PM

Sure.

computerslayer 08-08-2009 04:43 PM

PDAPhoneJunkie,

As a new HTC Apache user, I've learned quite a bit from your tutorials and posts. Thanks for putting up such a comprehensive set of resources. As a BlackBerry user, the Windows Mobile world is a new bit; it helps to have plenty of reading material!

Unfortunately, it seems that my phone's software is not compatible with your latest WM6.5 ROM.

My ROM version seems to be at 2.06.00 WWE (from the Start>Settings>System>Device Information screen.

My bootloader seems to be at 2.02 (when I do put the phone in bootloader mode, the bottom numbers read 2.02)

I downloaded your ROM marked 'v1.00-1.02-v2.02' from the PDAJ's Clean WM6.5 ROM 4 Apache thread - I had thought that v2.02 referred to the bootloader. When I attempt to install it (with the usb connections turned off, in bootloader mode), the program ends up first showing up with blank values of the current version information & the update's version. If I click 'Upgrade', it errors out with error 150 (ROM upgrade utility error - "This ROM Upgrade Utility is not designed for your device. Please get the proper ROM Upgrade Utility and try again!").

I'm guessing that 2.02 refers to the ROM version already installed?

I suppose I could downgrade my ROM, but from your guide on troubles after downgrading, I'm a little leery - and why add a potentially unnecessary step to the process? [edit] - I think I mispoke here - you were talking about downgrading the bootloader, not the ROM![/edit]

Any thoughts on the matter? I'm hoping that there is some easy solution that I'm overlooking, but my search of the forums hasn't borne any fruit!

Thanks,
Fr. Maurer

PDAPhoneJunkie 08-08-2009 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by computerslayer (Post 1089341)
PDAPhoneJunkie,

As a new HTC Apache user, I've learned quite a bit from your tutorials and posts. Thanks for putting up such a comprehensive set of resources. As a BlackBerry user, the Windows Mobile world is a new bit; it helps to have plenty of reading material!

Unfortunately, it seems that my phone's software is not compatible with your latest WM6.5 ROM.

My ROM version seems to be at 2.06.00 WWE (from the Start>Settings>System>Device Information screen.

My bootloader seems to be at 2.02 (when I do put the phone in bootloader mode, the bottom numbers read 2.02)

I downloaded your ROM marked 'v1.00-1.02-v2.02' from the PDAJ's Clean WM6.5 ROM 4 Apache thread - I had thought that v2.02 referred to the bootloader. When I attempt to install it (with the usb connections turned off, in bootloader mode), the program ends up first showing up with blank values of the current version information & the update's version. If I click 'Upgrade', it errors out with error 150 (ROM upgrade utility error - "This ROM Upgrade Utility is not designed for your device. Please get the proper ROM Upgrade Utility and try again!").

I'm guessing that 2.02 refers to the ROM version already installed?

I suppose I could downgrade my ROM, but from your guide on troubles after downgrading, I'm a little leery - and why add a potentially unnecessary step to the process? [edit] - I think I mispoke here - you were talking about downgrading the bootloader, not the ROM![/edit]

Any thoughts on the matter? I'm hoping that there is some easy solution that I'm overlooking, but my search of the forums hasn't borne any fruit!

Thanks,
Fr. Maurer

Howdy. There is indeed a simple a solution to your problem, you need to downgrade the drivers in Windows Mobile Device Center, you can find info on that here.

computerslayer 08-09-2009 12:03 AM

Well that was simple. Worked like a charm and Windows Mobile 6.5 is up and running!

Thank you!

- Father Maurer

computerslayer 08-09-2009 01:05 AM

...maybe I spoke too soon.

Although the ROM upgraded perfectly, I've run into a couple of issues. Most important is that I no longer have access to contacts. Contacts (the program/shortcut) doesn't work. When I attempt to get to my contacts, it starts and then immediately closes. Not sure what thats about.

Additionally, several icons are duplicated in the start menu. In the process of deleting them, I must have deleted the new Internet Explorer icon instead of the old, and am now stuck with the low-resolution icon. Yuck.

When I try to downgrade to the OEM ROM, it crashes out - I suspect this is because of the downgraded drivers. How to I upgrade them so that I can start this all over (downgrade, upgrade and see if it works correctly)?

- Father Maurer

[Update]
I'll try uninstalling & re-installing Windows Mobile Device Center and see what happens - I'll report in with the results
[/update]

computerslayer 08-09-2009 01:55 AM

The above plan worked out fine.

I also figured out what I did wrong in the first place: a hard reset. I just reset the darn thing normally after upgrading. Apparently that has some fairly detrimental side effects. User error.... sigh. Thank goodness I didn't brick the phone.

Thanks again PDAJ - this upgrade is a huge improvement on the stock version of Windows Mobile (version 5, I think).

- Father Maurer

PDAPhoneJunkie 08-09-2009 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by computerslayer (Post 1090044)
The above plan worked out fine.

I also figured out what I did wrong in the first place: a hard reset. I just reset the darn thing normally after upgrading. Apparently that has some fairly detrimental side effects. User error.... sigh. Thank goodness I didn't brick the phone.

Thanks again PDAJ - this upgrade is a huge improvement on the stock version of Windows Mobile (version 5, I think).

- Father Maurer

Yeah a hard reset is needed, maybe I will put that in caps in the first post... BTW, to get the other drivers back, simply go into the same wiindow we changed them in and hit "search for driver updates", it will download them from the web.

computerslayer 08-09-2009 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDAPhoneJunkie (Post 1090055)
Yeah a hard reset is needed, maybe I will put that in caps in the first post... BTW, to get the other drivers back, simply go into the same wiindow we changed them in and hit "search for driver updates", it will download them from the web.

In all fairness, the installer itself prompts for a hard reset - I just didn't pay attention very well. I assumed it was a soft reset and when that didn't work, I just did a regular reset. That said, maybe there are more people out there like me who need the extra reminder.

Thats good to know about the updated drivers. Certainly easier than uninstalling & reinstalling Windows Mobile Device Center.

Thanks again,
Fr. Maurer

EJFudd 08-10-2009 01:52 AM

Any chance you could post some pics on the first thread. This will help people decide if this might be for them. TIA

computerslayer 08-10-2009 01:57 AM

What would you like pictures of - the install process or the end result? (Or were you posting for PDAJ?)

Happy to help, if possible. Let me know.

- Father M

Winkler099 08-10-2009 02:12 AM

PDAPhoneJunkie you're incredible !!

PDAPhoneJunkie 08-10-2009 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winkler099 (Post 1091569)
PDAPhoneJunkie you're incredible !!

Why thank you kind sir, hope you enjoy.

stlbadger 08-11-2009 01:16 AM

Hey I would really love a cricket version of this rom. A friend of mine needs help activating her Apache and it only shipped with some crappy instructions (ebay).....but being a PPCGeek over on the Diamond forum i thought a new rom would do her good. Thanks!

PDAPhoneJunkie 08-11-2009 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlbadger (Post 1093597)
Hey I would really love a cricket version of this rom. A friend of mine needs help activating her Apache and it only shipped with some crappy instructions (ebay).....but being a PPCGeek over on the Diamond forum i thought a new rom would do her good. Thanks!

I can get you that. If you don't wanna wait, I have one for WM6.1. Also, a Cricket ROM is not gonna do the trick, it's getting the PRL changed.

stlbadger 08-11-2009 05:39 PM

How would I go about that? I really don't have the time to go through reading a bunch of tutorials to figure this out haha

PDAPhoneJunkie 08-11-2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlbadger (Post 1095004)
How would I go about that? I really don't have the time to go through reading a bunch of tutorials to figure this out haha

Now now, I will help you out, but if you're gonna just be in hurry and saying I have no time, better to let someone do it for you, that way you don't get in a hurry and jack something up. Dial ##775 and enter the Cricket PRL.

stlbadger 08-11-2009 08:01 PM

Ok sorry. Whats the PRL? We've went to a cricket store and even they couldn't do it!

Edit: The phone is able to recieve/send calls but no texting or internet......we dial *228 but it takes us to verizon

She says she may have used an "evdo prl"

Halp!?

PDAPhoneJunkie 08-12-2009 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlbadger (Post 1095263)
Ok sorry. Whats the PRL? We've went to a cricket store and even they couldn't do it!

Edit: The phone is able to recieve/send calls but no texting or internet......we dial *228 but it takes us to verizon

She says she may have used an "evdo prl"

Halp!?

Get a PRL from Corlada PRL. Just search up Google.

Really though bro, please do your part in searching a little bit... Anyhow, if you have any other questions feel free and ask.

stlbadger 08-12-2009 02:28 AM

I did, we were up all last night researching

PDAPhoneJunkie 08-12-2009 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlbadger (Post 1096027)
I did, we were up all last night researching

Oooo. Anyhow, yeah get a PRL from Corolada and upload through ##775.

stlbadger 08-13-2009 11:11 AM

Sounds good. Evdo or non-evdo? and what is the difference between the numbers?

PDAPhoneJunkie 08-13-2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlbadger (Post 1098611)
Sounds good. Evdo or non-evdo? and what is the difference between the numbers?

EvDo has nothing to do with the ROM, but rather the PRL. This ROM is WM6.5 while the other is WM6.1, different versions.