PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

brightedge is keeping up the good workbrightedge is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpal View Post
Install works great here too. I also would like to know if the registry hacks and tweaks of WM5 work. There are several volume & BT volume tweaks that are very helpful.

I did find that the "VIBRATEPHONEKEYS.cab" is not compatible. It was a handy one-hand operation progam.

Is there any way to modify or expand "Launcher" items?
Test and you shall see

I can verify that the "kill LEDs" and ext rom "MountHidden" hacks work just fine.
And in the kitchen, bind them.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:04 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff
I don't want to sound like a party-pooper but is this entirely legit? Isn't someone giving away a new OS that oridnarily would have to be paid for? Does MS permit this to be distributed for free?

How is this different from me distributing a copy of Vista to all those who are presently runnning XP?
Old 09-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkillen View Post
I don't want to sound like a party-pooper but is this entirely legit? Isn't someone giving away a new OS that oridnarily would have to be paid for? Does MS permit this to be distributed for free?

How is this different from me distributing a copy of Vista to all those who are presently runnning XP?
Consider it a grey area. Here are the differences from your Vista example (which is obvious piracy):

1. Microsoft has stated that they would give a free WM6 license for any PPC device w/keyboard that an OEM upgrades to WM6.

2. You cannot go out and purchase WM6 for the Apache. In fact you can't purchase Windows Mobile at all... you buy the device and the OS comes with it.

But that said, if you don't feel comfortable in such a grey area then you shouldn't use this. Stick with your carrier ROM as that is the only thing that is officially sanctioned for you to use.

Last edited by luv2chill; 09-03-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

brightedge is keeping up the good workbrightedge is keeping up the good work
Quote:

I'm no expert, but this certainly seems like a gray area type thing. Microsoft has given away WM6 licenses for free to all vendors, HTC included. HTC/UtStarcom/Sprint have not ported WM6 to the 6700 yet (if ever.) People have taken this into their own hands and worked to get WM6 on to the 6700. Is it 100% legal? I'm not sure. Is WM6 being hosted on a PPCGeeks site? Nope. So I guess it all comes down to whether or not you feel comfortable running an operating system that hasn't been officially released for your phone.

Downloading a pirated copy of Vista is certainly illegal. M$ hasn't given it away to Dell, so loading a pirated copy onto a Dimension desktop seems quite different than loading WM6 onto a 6700.

Any other thoughts?
Old 09-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker

dmackdaddy is a n00b
Helmi, great job - I just dropped a donation for all your efforts and I hope others do as well! You are the man!
Old 09-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
Just adding a 667th post
Old 09-03-2007, 12:36 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff
Don't get me wrong. I have installed this ROM image and love it and if MS wants it back, I will go into deep hiding. Nor am I a paranoid (even though they are all out to get me). Having said that...

Do you think it would be safe to go into Sprint for service with this OS?
Old 09-03-2007, 12:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive

Elbimster is a n00b
Send a message via ICQ to Elbimster Send a message via AIM to Elbimster Send a message via MSN to Elbimster Send a message via Yahoo to Elbimster
Helmi, This is spectacular!! I plan on donating to you as soon as payday rolls around!!

Thanks for all the hard work!!!
Old 09-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Lurker

Kalessin is a n00b
Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I have installed this ROM image and love it and if MS wants it back, I will go into deep hiding. Nor am I a paranoid (even though they are all out to get me). Having said that...

Do you think it would be safe to go into Sprint for service with this OS?
Never take a phone in for service that is running any other OS than the one that is provided at activation. If the vendors provide a flash upgrade then you can go in for service with that OS. Do not go in for service with WM6 on your phone to a SPRINT store.

Last edited by Kalessin; 09-03-2007 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:56 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: xv6800
Carrier: Verizon

covici is a n00b
Send a message via Skype™ to covici
Hi. I am a Newbie at this game, so please forgive me if I ask ignorant questions.

I see you have two different upgrades for Verizon xv6700 depending on the boot loader -- how do I tell which boot loader I have?

I have sprite backup and I have made a backup of main memory which is about 13m -- if I update the ROM and want to go back, do I just restore from the backup I have made or do I need something else?

Also, which directories are part of the ROM and which part of the flash memory?

Thanks much.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development