PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 04:41 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: xv6700
Carrier: VZW

bitbrat is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Re: 6.1 Battery Issue

Here's what I got - I have been unable to run battery meter cos phone has other "lockup" probs, but I have noticed this:

WiFi sux juice like water, and in 6.1 I can't control the power level for it, that setting appears to have gone

Data connection not bad, but I use it only for MMS

Phone calls - WOW - can empty my battery in 30 minutes - my area has poor coverage and it seems like in 6.1 the phone just ramps up the power consumption until it gets a reasonable connection - I have radio 1.41 BTW - anyone have thoughts on upgrading to 1.43?

Just my 2 cents worth

Also, anyone know why I can't access settings>phone>Services - it comes up as a blank page???
Old 04-02-2008, 06:51 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT
Re: 6.1 Battery Issue

Today, used the phone for a 1/2 hour and used Wi-fi for about 10 min, the battery was dead. This is driving me nuts.

I'm doing a test with this (I guess I will be flashing my phone a few times to try to figure this one out). Right now, just flashed with no tweaks or hacks, just the OS and applications I need(nothing funky that would run in the background). I'll see if this helps. Just put in a fresh charged battery, so if it dies after using the phone for a while tonight, I'll reflash with a different combo to see if that works. I am saving my config file every time I do a change.

As I posted before, at one point I had the phone running(with 6.1 from the kitchen) for 2 days, an hour with internet and over 4 hours of talk time before the standard battery died. I had to reflash due to missing apps I needed...ugh..

When I flash this phone for these test, I will flash the phone with a current battery but, for the test, will replace with a fresh charged one.

Edit 4/3: Ok, so I tried it with no hacks or tweaks installed, and over all it did pretty well, No 2 days but, used for phone for about 2 hours talk time and a lasted most of the day. I ended up putting it on the charger with about 40% life left. So far, so good.

Edit 4/4: I re-flashed it again today with the "battery perfomance" tweak and it made it worse(much worse), only about an hour of talk time (53:25 to be exact, stand by for about 4 hours, no internet or wi-fi), after I got off the phone it went into flight mode then after about 30 seconds it shut off. If this works like it did for me here, I would avoid this hack with WM6.1

Edit: 4/5: Reflashed, again. Only "hack or tweak" is Advanced configuration. Went into the Power Management section, and enabled all power management options. Set backlight on 3rd bar from off for back light on battery and 30 second time out. So far today, about a 1/2 hour on the phone (not too many calls today) and standby for about 8 hours, battery still showing at 80%. So far so good today, will update this post when the battery gets low or dies. Will keep phone running till it dies, even if over night. The battery is working a hair bit better than when I did with no tweaks at all but, no 2 day. I will look over my options for tweaks to see if I can find out this combo to get better life out of this thing, like I had before.

Will update again when I flash it again

Last edited by DavidinCT; 04-06-2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Update for results..
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:56 AM
VIP Member

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I've been doing updates with my results and editing my last post, would people be interested in me to keep updating ?
Old 04-04-2008, 01:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Alltel

yes please continue my battery sucked down to 0% in 1 hour of light use dies while siting for 2 hours i also reflashed and removed the battery tweaks helped a little but not much on mine i would like to see what you find love my phone with 6.1 but battery issue is making it hard to live with with
Old 04-06-2008, 03:39 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia

tjdavis is a n00b
Smile Re: 6.1 Battery Issue

I too am having horrible time with battery life. Progressively worse with each version wm5 3.5, wm6, and now wm6.1. I love the new features as well, but battery life drains sometimes after one phone call after a full night of charging. I have reflashed with several different selections all with the same result. I have noticed that since WM6 that Active Sync displays Connected all the time. I use Exchange Push from an Exchange 2007 server at work. The device does not seem to be syncing exchange constantly, but it does say Connected all the time. I am going to play around with the today screen and remove the HTC Home app. I have had other today screen plug ins in wm5 drain my battery, none quite as much as this latest release though. I am not convinced it has anything to do with the ROM itself, it is probably an app. Just have to find the needle in the haystack. Thanks to all who keep our 6700s up to date. I'm sure with the talent we have on ppcgeeks that we'll figure it out.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:55 PM
VIP Member

If anyone is using this (WM 6.1 on a XV6700/PPC-6700 from the Kitchen) and getting 2+ days battery life out of the standard battery, would they mind posting their config file (the text file with your selections), so we can get to the bottom of what is going on with the battery life ?

Also how your MMS is working (are you sync'ing with an exchange server, do you use the unlimited internet access, etc) ?

I'm sure it's just 1 or 2 options that should not be, or should be selected to help here, that someone could be flashing for days to just find the correct combo.

Maybe this will help every one get to the bottom of this....
Old 04-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC6700

vdecas is a n00b

I'm doing some test with the issue of the battery too. I re-flashed my phone four times by now and yesterday was the last time, my battery just lasted one day and a half, heavy sms more than one hundred, 20 minutes on the phone, and 20 minutes on the internet and the battery reach 20%. Tomorrow I'll continue the test, because is a work day and I use my phone a lot, more than two hours of conversation every work day. For the MMS configuration, I'm using my unlimited internet access to send a MMS message trough my mms carrier server. I'll be trying to solve the battery issue and if I found a solution I let you know.
Regards,
Victor
Old 04-07-2008, 12:24 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6700
Carrier: reliance

sunny1974 is a n00b

yes that is really required.. when i had wm5 my battery used to last a lot.. atleast 2 days.. and after wm6 it went down pretty fast.. almost to 1 and a half day. and wm6.1 to 1 day.. everyone keeps saying try the acb battery meter. the meter showed the same usage that is 39 -40 at idle with both 6 and 6.1... with bluetooth on.. but i think its the calling in wm6 which really juices the battery..or maybee the internet usage.. i use a 1500 polymer battery and it lasts even less than the original stock battery on wm6.. which i replaced coz it was getting pathetic.. im sure it is sum setting or program which juices the battery.. maybe its the htc home coz thats the major difference between wm5 and wm6..and most people use it.. i use minimal applications btw.. no other managers like spb suit or anything.. but when i hear people saying 2 days and 3-4 hours of talktime on a stock battery i dont believe that.. i think i barely get 1-2 hours out of a 1500 brand new battery. which isnt any good.. the original specifications of ppc6700 says 4 hours talktime...
Old 04-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid
Carrier: Sprint

kd4ao is a n00b

My battery life appears to be related to bluetooth being on and no bt device in range. Just my latest observation.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

edufur is keeping up the good workedufur is keeping up the good workedufur is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4ao View Post
My battery life appears to be related to bluetooth being on and no bt device in range. Just my latest observation.
I am certain you are on to something here. I have noticed it seems to deplete extremely fast in this scenario. For the record, I have the new high-capacity battery and it worked very well under 6.0 but does not last long at all under this build. It does get a lot better with BT off, but it still drains faster than previous builds. I hope that for those that are having extreme short life issues, you consider the fact that it is a combo problem of this build plus your battery may need to be replaced anyway. Looks like the devs arent chiming in on any research they are doing, so if someone more technical than me could pinpoint it for them, im sure they would appreciate the answer... i am betting they are as lost as the rest of us for now. I also want to mention that along with the 6.1 switch, I went back to the stock radio of 1.27. I highly doubt that stock radio could cause battery depletion but I am curious if people are having this problem with other radios as well. I just want to eliminate that from the picture.

Last edited by edufur; 04-07-2008 at 03:50 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development